Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day

  • maxisterl@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
      Ppl r comfortable w calling themselves mules
      (mulatto / mulatta) even n this day n age.
      I feel it is an antiquated term like
      negro but this is just my opinion ...

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
        When I said half of America was shocked, I didn't mean that
        they were offended b/c of the non-PC nature of the term.
        Rather, it seems to me people were shocked that Obama actually
        joked about being mixed. Most people seem to view him as "black,"
        although most are aware that his mother was White. I think if he'd
        used another term instead of mutt, the story still would've been
        all over CNN b/c people are just amazed that this "black" man is
        actually mixed. Honestly, I've wondered for a long time if he
        had a more racially ambiguous appearance, would the media still
        refer to him as "black" or "African-American??" Probably not,
        since we are so obsessed w/appearance in this society.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "Your Highness The Queen" <la_cayena@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Denise Baker
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
          Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day Terms of endearment are meant to be endearing, not demeaning...& generalizations are what so many of us try so hard to break away from...some words are used in a very cavalier manner, but many are microscopically scrutinized, esp Barack’s words, as he is the leader of the new world now & represents this position as a biracial being...With that said, think of a name that you would not want to be called and substitute it for ‘mutt’ - see if your response is the same...Name calling is just wrong & it hurts – its also an indication of a deeper issue...remember ‘hurt people, hurt people’...
          Take care,
          Denise
          PS, M “negro’ is not an antiquated term & if that term were substituted for ‘mutt’, there would have been more than just a multiracial social group chattin about it...