Re: [Generation-Mixed] Just joined

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
      Welcome John

      Yes living life as a mixed race person is not the easiest!
      you are forced to choose? and no matter which side you
      choose, your still feel unwelcome. Your learn early on
      that race is a serious matter to most people, because
      race is a pass port or a stop sign depending on which
      direction your going in society.You,ll find that some
      people don't feel comfortable around you` because
      you don't reflect their characteristics which opens doors
      of distrust or fear.Emotionally most mixed race people
      them selves are confused and untrusting as a result.
      If people don't openly ask "What you are" they are
      always thinking it trying to place you into a category
      or file cabinet.Even getting angry at you for being such
      a puzzle to their visual perception.Even your love life
      can present problems? should I marry white or black?
      or another race. Or perhaps I should marry a mixed race
      person like my self. Sadly your life must have been so
      difficult concerning these issues. The way I see it is
      that mixed race people are like combonation lock` for
      their is no key to open it, just a set of numbers and
      clicks. And if these numbers dont line up as expected,
      then your lock may have difficulty opening a locked DOOR.
      For skin color is a signature that most people have no
      difficulty in reading.Because race for most is the Bible
      belt of humanity.

      Pierre

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
        Thanks all, there are indeed many twists and ironies
        in being mixed race, including the fact that we
        challenge the very notion of "race" itself,
        I think that much of it has to do with the fact that
        many mono-racial people just simply don't know
        what to make of us and what to do with us,
        some think we should be classed as black,
        others think we should be White, some say we
        are just nothing but none of them can agree.

        We cause arguments amongst them (I know I have),
        we confuse them and we rock their world,
        it's not our fault, we don't do it on purpose,
        we know what we are and most of us are not confused,
        but there are lots (not all of course) of non-mixed
        race people, Black, White etc who ARE confused
        about us and this is where the problem really lays.

        Cheers

        JC