Re: [Generation-Mixed] Just joined

  • Denise Baker
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
      Re: [Generation-Mixed] Just joined Hi John,
      Thank you for sharing your oh so very common story w/us...i have a similar story w/different twists...but, we can delve into this topic much deeper soon enough...Welcome to the group...im sure we have much 2 chat about...
      Sincerely,
      Denise

      On 1/8/09 10:58 AM, "Danielle Hill" <gatadelafuente@...> wrote:

      Welcome to the group.  What an inspiring story.

      Danielle Hill

      "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."  ---Frederick Douglass

      Blog:  http://gatadelafuentelibros.blogspot.com/
      Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1570669

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
        Hi John,
        Nice to meet you as well and like Denise and yourself I have some twist in my family background and growing up.I would love to hear your story..your testamony.

        Keesha

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
          Welcome John

          Yes living life as a mixed race person is not the easiest!
          you are forced to choose? and no matter which side you
          choose, your still feel unwelcome. Your learn early on
          that race is a serious matter to most people, because
          race is a pass port or a stop sign depending on which
          direction your going in society.You,ll find that some
          people don't feel comfortable around you` because
          you don't reflect their characteristics which opens doors
          of distrust or fear.Emotionally most mixed race people
          them selves are confused and untrusting as a result.
          If people don't openly ask "What you are" they are
          always thinking it trying to place you into a category
          or file cabinet.Even getting angry at you for being such
          a puzzle to their visual perception.Even your love life
          can present problems? should I marry white or black?
          or another race. Or perhaps I should marry a mixed race
          person like my self. Sadly your life must have been so
          difficult concerning these issues. The way I see it is
          that mixed race people are like combonation lock` for
          their is no key to open it, just a set of numbers and
          clicks. And if these numbers dont line up as expected,
          then your lock may have difficulty opening a locked DOOR.
          For skin color is a signature that most people have no
          difficulty in reading.Because race for most is the Bible
          belt of humanity.

          Pierre

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
            Thanks all, there are indeed many twists and ironies
            in being mixed race, including the fact that we
            challenge the very notion of "race" itself,
            I think that much of it has to do with the fact that
            many mono-racial people just simply don't know
            what to make of us and what to do with us,
            some think we should be classed as black,
            others think we should be White, some say we
            are just nothing but none of them can agree.

            We cause arguments amongst them (I know I have),
            we confuse them and we rock their world,
            it's not our fault, we don't do it on purpose,
            we know what we are and most of us are not confused,
            but there are lots (not all of course) of non-mixed
            race people, Black, White etc who ARE confused
            about us and this is where the problem really lays.

            Cheers

            JC