Re: Just joined

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2009
      Welcome to the group! Thank you for sharing your experience and take on things. Although, I must say, I'm slightly less optimistic about the future. I think people will always find a reason to dislike one another and to seperate. You know, there has always been "race-mixing," yet people, especially in the U.S., seem to be in denial of this fact. Really, most people here are mixed to some extent, even if it's way back in their family tree; however, that doesn't stop them from being racist. And only a tiny percentage of people identify as "mixed," "multiethnic," or anything like that. Rather, most people seem to choose one part of their heritage and identify soley as that, which I think is a shame. But, I hope you're right John. Maybe someday people will get past this race thing (but probably not any day soon).

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "john.cashin" <fastercash@...> wrote:

      Hi all

      I've just joined here, I suppose I better begin by telling you a
      bit about my background, I'm 44 years old and needles to say I'm of
      mixed-race/bi-racial origin, my parents are long since dead now but my father was black from Guyana, formaly "British Guyana", my mother
      was white and from Ireland in Dublin, she raised me alone, I was always aware of what I was though, because she told me from a very early age, I just think that she thought I needed to be aware and I think she was right in that respect because there were plenty of people who reminded me later in life but not always in a nice way.

      It was hard as a teenager because let's face it those teen years
      are tough anyway but when you've got this "what are you??" question
      > hanging over you it just makes it hell, growing up there seem to be this double world, one black and one white that would never meet
      and I could go either way but never fully belonged to either, and there was always one or two who made it clear that I wasn't too welcome when I went into "all black clubs" and later "white pubs", so it was obvious to me that when your mixed you've got to fight that much harder and be that much better to be excepted and respected either by white people or black people, whichever you choose your in for an extra challenge.

      Well, the years rolled on and I suppose as I got older it became easier, like the old Queen mother use to say 'life doen't get
      better but we get better at it', she was right, and it has to be said things really have developed between black and white now and there is a lot more mixing than there used to be, which is good for us, however, there is still a hard core on both sides that want to keep black and white apart and obviously as mixed race people we present a problem to them in that respect.

      I'm certain that the die hards on both sides will give up
      eventually and that they will realise that it is much better and more fun for everyone to mix, and besides, we really are the future, it is our destiny as bi-raciials, one day the world will be overflowing with racially mixed people, there's plenty even now, not all can or want to be identified as such though, some can hide so well that you would never guess that they were actually mixed.

      Many thanks.

      John Cashin
    • Danielle Hill
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2009
        Welcome to the group.  What an inspiring story.

        Danielle Hill

        "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."  ---Frederick Douglass
        Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1570669

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
          Re: [Generation-Mixed] Just joined Hi John,
          Thank you for sharing your oh so very common story w/us...i have a similar story w/different twists...but, we can delve into this topic much deeper soon enough...Welcome to the group...im sure we have much 2 chat about...
          Sincerely,
          Denise

          Blog:  http://gatadelafuentelibros.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
            Hi John,
            Nice to meet you as well and like Denise and yourself I have some twist in my family background and growing up.I would love to hear your story..your testamony.

            Keesha

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
              Welcome John

              Yes living life as a mixed race person is not the easiest!
              you are forced to choose? and no matter which side you
              choose, your still feel unwelcome. Your learn early on
              that race is a serious matter to most people, because
              race is a pass port or a stop sign depending on which
              direction your going in society.You,ll find that some
              people don't feel comfortable around you` because
              you don't reflect their characteristics which opens doors
              of distrust or fear.Emotionally most mixed race people
              them selves are confused and untrusting as a result.
              If people don't openly ask "What you are" they are
              always thinking it trying to place you into a category
              or file cabinet.Even getting angry at you for being such
              a puzzle to their visual perception.Even your love life
              can present problems? should I marry white or black?
              or another race. Or perhaps I should marry a mixed race
              person like my self. Sadly your life must have been so
              difficult concerning these issues. The way I see it is
              that mixed race people are like combonation lock` for
              their is no key to open it, just a set of numbers and
              clicks. And if these numbers dont line up as expected,
              then your lock may have difficulty opening a locked DOOR.
              For skin color is a signature that most people have no
              difficulty in reading.Because race for most is the Bible
              belt of humanity.

              Pierre

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
                Thanks all, there are indeed many twists and ironies
                in being mixed race, including the fact that we
                challenge the very notion of "race" itself,
                I think that much of it has to do with the fact that
                many mono-racial people just simply don't know
                what to make of us and what to do with us,
                some think we should be classed as black,
                others think we should be White, some say we
                are just nothing but none of them can agree.

                We cause arguments amongst them (I know I have),
                we confuse them and we rock their world,
                it's not our fault, we don't do it on purpose,
                we know what we are and most of us are not confused,
                but there are lots (not all of course) of non-mixed
                race people, Black, White etc who ARE confused
                about us and this is where the problem really lays.

                Cheers

                JC