Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Obama and Loving Day

Expand Messages
  • lovingdayproject
    Dear Loving Day supporters, November 4th, 2008 is a historic milestone on the road of progress. Only 41 years after the Loving Decision legalized interracial
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2008
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Dear Loving Day supporters,

      November 4th, 2008 is a historic milestone on the road of progress.

      Only 41 years after the Loving Decision legalized
      interracial marriage nationwide, the United States
      will have its first known multiethnic president.

      Barack Obama is many things to many people:
      black, multiethnic, international, and more.

      We at Loving Day acknowledge all of these
      things as positive and non-exclusive.

      We also wish to recognize the monumental optimism
      and inspiration that this election has brought.

      To those of us in the multiethnic community, this day
      is a quantum leap in terms of our public representation.

      Before 2000, Barack Obama would not have had a box
      (or boxes) to check on the U.S. Census form without
      being "other" -or- denying part of his heritage.

      Today, there's an oval office in the
      White House with his name on it.

      In his first speech as president-elect, Barack Obama
      described his victory as an opportunity for progress.

      We share this belief in the context of fighting prejudice.
      Now that the White House has become a more open place, we
      hope that you will join us in making every house a more
      open place - especially those that are closest to you.

      Host a Loving Day Celebration and
      you can make a difference where you live.

      Loving Day is about education and community.

      We are non-partisan, so we don't pick favorites in elections.

      We welcome everyone who shares our desire to fight prejudice,
      regardless of personal background or political beliefs.

      That being said, we hope that you will join us in celebrating
      the enormous cultural significance of this election.

      We believe that this day will be remembered along with the
      Thirteenth Amendment, Brown v. Board of Education, The Civil
      Rights Act of 1964, and Loving v. Virginia as a collective leap
      forward for the United States and for the entire global community.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Tanabe
      Founder/President, Loving Day
      http://www.lovingday.org

      ------------------------------

      Start conversations and show your
      support with a Loving Day t-shirt:

      http://www.lovingday.org/store.htm

      Keep the Loving Day Project
      alive with an online donation:

      http://www.lovingday.org/donate.htm

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day
      Celebration with our free Celebration Kit (PDF):

      http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf
    • Rosanna
      Yes, I agree that Obama s election is a milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies. However, I m not entirely optimistic that his presidency will
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies. However, I'm not entirely optimistic that his presidency will improve race relations or elevate the discussion of race in this country. Americans are just too steeped in ignorance as far as I'm concerned. For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN. Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic of race and seem incapable of having any sort of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me. But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.



        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "lovingdayproject" <groups@...> wrote:


        Dear Loving Day supporters,

        November 4th, 2008 is a historic milestone on the road of progress.

        Only 41 years after the Loving Decision legalized
        interracial marriage nationwide, the United States
        will have its first known multiethnic president.

        Barack Obama is many things to many people:
        black, multiethnic, international, and more.

        We at Loving Day acknowledge all of these
        things as positive and non-exclusive.

        We also wish to recognize the monumental optimism
        and inspiration that this election has brought.

        To those of us in the multiethnic community, this day
        is a quantum leap in terms of our public representation.

        Before 2000, Barack Obama would not have had a box
        (or boxes) to check on the U.S. Census form without
        being "other" -or- denying part of his heritage.

        Today, there's an oval office in the
        White House with his name on it.

        In his first speech as president-elect, Barack Obama
        described his victory as an opportunity for progress.

        We share this belief in the context of fighting prejudice.
        Now that the White House has become a more open place, we
        hope that you will join us in making every house a more
        open place - especially those that are closest to you.

        Host a Loving Day Celebration and
        you can make a difference where you live.

        Loving Day is about education and community.

        We are non-partisan, so we don't pick favorites in elections.

        We welcome everyone who shares our desire to fight prejudice,
        regardless of personal background or political beliefs.

        That being said, we hope that you will join us in celebrating
        the enormous cultural significance of this election.

        We believe that this day will be remembered along with the
        Thirteenth Amendment, Brown v. Board of Education, The Civil
        Rights Act of 1964, and Loving v. Virginia as a collective leap
        forward for the United States and for the entire global community.

        Sincerely,

        Ken Tanabe
        Founder/President, Loving Day
        http://www.lovingday.org

        -----------------------------


        It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day
        Celebration with our free Celebration Kit (PDF):

        http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf
      • john.cashin
        I wasn t keen on his mutt joke either, the reason being is because if we as bi-racial people can t respect ourselves then nobody will, I don t mean that we
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
          if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
          I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
          have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
          as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
          have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
          so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
          just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
          he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
          and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
          he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is bi-racial,
          he is in a good position to finally and totally disprove all these
          false negative ideas that some have about us but careless comments
          like that will only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


          [quote]
          Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
          milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
          However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
          his presidency will improve race relations or
          elevate the discussion of race in this country.
          Americans are just too steeped in
          ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
          For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
          to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
          The story was all over CNN.
          Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
          of race and seem incapable of having any sort
          of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
          But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
          [/quote]
        • pierre jefferson
          I agree with you John,   Race is till such a emotional issue in America, because it still holds so much pain and emotional anger. Obama seems to feel
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            I agree with you John,
             
            Race is till such a emotional issue in America, because
            it still holds so much pain and emotional anger. Obama
            seems to feel unamused with mixed race issues, and seems
            to see his own mixture as being a biological accident. Calling
            him self a mutt is equal to being compared to k-9 mongrel
            Even Obama has been deeply affected by being multiracial,
            his life has all the emotional experiences most mixed race
            people go through on a daily basis. Racists and racism will
            not except Obama because of his heritage. Yes the ignorance
            that fuels racism is still with us in 2009): still seeing the color
            before seeing the individual. Still looking for fault and error
            other than achievement and promise. Obama has,nt even
            been inaugurated yet and yet the die hards are already
            holding polls on if he will harm this Nation. He will have to
            be twice as careful on every move he makes simply because
            he is viewed as black. For every wrong move he may make,
            he will be judged twice as harshly! and for every right move
            he may only receive 1/2 the reward. Yes race is still the back bone
            of this country, the foundation of its birth and creator of its Soul.
            When you carry the seeds
             
             
            Pierre


            --- On Fri, 1/9/09, john.cashin <fastercash@...> wrote:

            From: john.cashin <fastercash@...>
            Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
            To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, January 9, 2009, 6:48 PM

            I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
            if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
            I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
            have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
            as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
            have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
            so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
            just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
            he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
            and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
            he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is bi-racial,
            he is in a good position to finally and totally disprove all these
            false negative ideas that some have about us but careless comments
            like that will only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.

            [quote]
            Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
            milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
            However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
            his presidency will improve race relations or
            elevate the discussion of race in this country.
            Americans are just too steeped in
            ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
            For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
            to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
            The story was all over CNN.
            Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
            of race and seem incapable of having any sort
            of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
            But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
            [/quote]

          • Rosanna
            I guess I wasn t clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the mutt comment. It was one of the few times, I ve heard him acknowledge
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
              As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic. Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.


              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
              "john.cashin" <fastercash@...> wrote:


              I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
              if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
              I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
              have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
              as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
              have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
              so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
              just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
              he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
              and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
              he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
              bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
              totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
              some have about us but careless comments like that will
              only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


              [quote]
              Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
              milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
              However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
              his presidency will improve race relations or
              elevate the discussion of race in this country.
              Americans are just too steeped in
              ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
              For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
              to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
              The story was all over CNN.
              Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
              of race and seem incapable of having any sort
              of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
              But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
              [/quote]
            • pierre jefferson
              Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as the word Mulatto as we all know
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring
                to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as
                the word Mulatto as we all know means a mule. How can a
                leader seek respect by even jokingly denigrate and demean
                him self for a good laugh? its like calling him self a mistake
                or a pile of mud. Yes the whole world is watching and carefully
                digesting every thing he says. Imagine the young racially mixed
                children hearing their commander and chief defining him self
                as a Mutt! this can be deeply internalized by them and send
                a green light that calling each other mutts is OK. Humor is
                great): but when you jokingly or even jest with your dignity
                and humanity just for a laugh is not a wise thing to do.
                Obama seems to have issues about his mixed race back
                ground? hopefully he stops these attacks on his own character.
                For to say mixed race people are nothing more than Mutts,
                feeds into the widely believed perception of them by bigoted
                and prejudice minds.He might as well call him self a half breed
                for it all sends the same message. Period.
                 
                Pierre

                --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

                From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...>
                Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

                I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic. Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.

                In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                "john.cashin" <fastercash@ ...> wrote:

                I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                some have about us but careless comments like that will
                only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


                [quote]
                Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                his presidency will improve race relations or
                elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                Americans are just too steeped in
                ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                The story was all over CNN.
                Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                [/quote]

              • john.cashin
                You ARE perfectly clear Rosanna no worries I m with you and it is good that he kind of said it, it s just the way he said it that wasn t good, it is
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  You ARE perfectly clear Rosanna no worries <chuckle> I'm with you and it is good that he kind of said it, it's just the way he said it that wasn't good, it is funny what you mentioned because I too have been mistaken for nationalities like Arab, Eygptian and Asian etc, and although there is nothing wrong with any of these nationalities and some of them are Mixed too I have got nothing whatsoever to do with any of them either, apart from being Mixed as aformentioned, but that's not the same as being Arab, Middle Eastern etc, they are cultural groups in their own right, it is not my identity, I can't be Black either, because my father would never have been mistaken for all these different other groups like I am and all of us who are Mixed, he was Black, that's all he was ever seen as, nothing wrong with being Black either but how can I possibly call myself Black like he was if that isn't what all people see when looking at me??.

                  And of course I'm not White either because again I would not be
                  mistaken for all these different things if I was White like my mother was, so I am different from both of the races they were in life, same with Obama and all of us really, not everyone sees him as black though anyway, there is divided opinion, so therefore he can't be Black, if he was there would be no question, he is Bi-Racial, like us, that is his real identity, as I say, good that he acknowledged it but I'm not so keen on him using "mutt" when he does bring it up, it's up to him, he is free to call himself what he wants and make jokes about himself if he wants but it doesn't sound right to me when he does, after all he is a highly intelligent Bi-Racial man who is the leader of the most powerful country in the world, he is worth so much more than that.



                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                  "Rosanna" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:



                  I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful
                  that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                  As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                  Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but
                  as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that
                  gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many
                  people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.



                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                  "john.cashin" <fastercash@> wrote:



                  I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                  if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                  I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                  have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                  as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                  have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                  so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                  just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                  he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                  and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                  he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                  bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                  totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                  some have about us but careless comments like that will
                  only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


                  [quote]
                  Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                  milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                  However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                  his presidency will improve race relations or
                  elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                  Americans are just too steeped in
                  ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                  For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                  to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                  The story was all over CNN.
                  Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                  of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                  of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                  But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                  [/quote]
                • Rosanna
                  Hi, Pierre. Like I said, I was glad that he actually acknowledged being mixed, since it happens so seldom, regardless of the word he chose. And I d have to
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi, Pierre. Like I said, I was glad that he actually acknowledged
                    being mixed, since it happens so seldom, regardless of the word he
                    chose. And I'd have to agree that he has issues with being mixed.
                    I've read his memoirs, and he seems to have a lot of issues w/his
                    growing up years, an absentee Black father, raised by White
                    grandparents, etc. He talks about becoming a young man and wanting
                    to claim his "Blackness," if you will. I think he's spent a lot of
                    time trying to become an "authentic" Black man. So, really, I think
                    the use of the word "mutt" is the least of his problems.


                    --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                    pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:


                    Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring
                    to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as
                    the word Mulatto as we all know means a mule. How can a
                    leader seek respect by even jokingly denigrate and demean
                    him self for a good laugh? its like calling him self a mistake
                    or a pile of mud. Yes the whole world is watching and carefully
                    digesting every thing he says. Imagine the young racially mixed
                    children hearing their commander and chief defining him self
                    as a Mutt! this can be deeply internalized by them and send
                    a green light that calling each other mutts is OK. Humor is
                    great): but when you jokingly or even jest with your dignity
                    and humanity just for a laugh is not a wise thing to do.
                    Obama seems to have issues about his mixed race back
                    ground? hopefully he stops these attacks on his own character.
                    For to say mixed race people are nothing more than Mutts,
                    feeds into the widely believed perception of them by bigoted
                    and prejudice minds.He might as well call him self a half breed
                    for it all sends the same message. Period.
                     
                    Pierre


                    --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:


                    From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...>
                    Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                    To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:29 PM



                    I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful
                    that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                    As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                    Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but
                    as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that
                    gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many
                    people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.


                    In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                    "john.cashin" <fastercash@ ...> wrote:


                    I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                    if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                    I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                    have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                    as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                    have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                    so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                    just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                    he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                    and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                    he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                    bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                    totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                    some have about us but careless comments like that will
                    only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


                    [quote]
                    Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                    milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                    However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                    his presidency will improve race relations or
                    elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                    Americans are just too steeped in
                    ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                    For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                    to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                    The story was all over CNN.
                    Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                    of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                    of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                    But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                    [/quote]
                  • pierre jefferson
                    Hi. Rosanna, I meant no hostility against you in my rant concerning Obama,s usage of the word mutt. Yes I can fully see your assessment of this word mutt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi. Rosanna, I meant no hostility against you in my rant
                      concerning Obama,s usage of the word mutt. Yes I can
                      fully see your assessment of this word mutt spoken by
                      Obama. Then again he does have issues regarding his
                      black father and white mother.Torn between such a culture
                      gap it wasn't easy for him, or any other mixed race person
                      growing up in society. Hopefully he will heal as time rolls
                      on and let this strengthen his Presidency.
                       
                      Pierre

                      --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

                      From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...>
                      Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                      To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:13 PM

                      Hi, Pierre. Like I said, I was glad that he actually acknowledged
                      being mixed, since it happens so seldom, regardless of the word he
                      chose. And I'd have to agree that he has issues with being mixed.
                      I've read his memoirs, and he seems to have a lot of issues w/his
                      growing up years, an absentee Black father, raised by White
                      grandparents, etc. He talks about becoming a young man and wanting
                      to claim his "Blackness," if you will. I think he's spent a lot of
                      time trying to become an "authentic" Black man. So, really, I think
                      the use of the word "mutt" is the least of his problems.

                      --- In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                      pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson200 7@...> wrote:

                      Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring
                      to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as
                      the word Mulatto as we all know means a mule. How can a
                      leader seek respect by even jokingly denigrate and demean
                      him self for a good laugh? its like calling him self a mistake
                      or a pile of mud. Yes the whole world is watching and carefully
                      digesting every thing he says. Imagine the young racially mixed
                      children hearing their commander and chief defining him self
                      as a Mutt! this can be deeply internalized by them and send
                      a green light that calling each other mutts is OK. Humor is
                      great): but when you jokingly or even jest with your dignity
                      and humanity just for a laugh is not a wise thing to do.
                      Obama seems to have issues about his mixed race back
                      ground? hopefully he stops these attacks on his own character.
                      For to say mixed race people are nothing more than Mutts,
                      feeds into the widely believed perception of them by bigoted
                      and prejudice minds.He might as well call him self a half breed
                      for it all sends the same message. Period.
                       
                      Pierre

                      --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...> wrote:


                      From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...>
                      Subject: [Generation- Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                      To: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com
                      Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

                      I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                      As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                      Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.

                      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                      "john.cashin" <fastercash@ ...> wrote:

                      I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                      if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                      I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                      have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                      as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                      have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                      so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                      just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                      he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                      and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                      he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                      bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                      totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                      some have about us but careless comments like that will
                      only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.

                      [quote]
                      Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                      milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                      However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                      his presidency will improve race relations or
                      elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                      Americans are just too steeped in
                      ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                      For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                      to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                      The story was all over CNN.
                      Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                      of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                      of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                      But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                      [/quote]

                    • Denise Baker
                      I think that says it all...Thx Pierre On 1/11/09 2:11 AM, pierre jefferson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day I think that says it all...Thx Pierre


                        On 1/11/09 2:11 AM, "pierre jefferson" <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:


                         

                        Hi. Rosanna, I meant no hostility against you in my rant
                        concerning Obama,s usage of the word mutt. Yes I can
                        fully see your assessment of this word mutt spoken by
                        Obama. Then again he does have issues regarding his
                        black father and white mother.Torn between such a culture
                        gap it wasn't easy for him, or any other mixed race person
                        growing up in society. Hopefully he will heal as time rolls
                        on and let this strengthen his Presidency.
                         
                        Pierre

                        --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

                        From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...>
                        Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                        To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:13 PM

                        Hi, Pierre. Like I said, I was glad that he actually acknowledged
                        being mixed, since it happens so seldom, regardless of the word he
                        chose. And I'd have to agree that he has issues with being mixed.
                        I've read his memoirs, and he seems to have a lot of issues w/his
                        growing up years, an absentee Black father, raised by White
                        grandparents, etc. He talks about becoming a young man and wanting
                        to claim his "Blackness," if you will. I think he's spent a lot of
                        time trying to become an "authentic" Black man. So, really, I think
                        the use of the word "mutt" is the least of his problems.

                        --- In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01gmail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson200 7@...> wrote:

                        Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring
                        to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as
                        the word Mulatto as we all know means a mule. How can a
                        leader seek respect by even jokingly denigrate and demean
                        him self for a good laugh? its like calling him self a mistake
                        or a pile of mud. Yes the whole world is watching and carefully
                        digesting every thing he says. Imagine the young racially mixed
                        children hearing their commander and chief defining him self
                        as a Mutt! this can be deeply internalized by them and send
                        a green light that calling each other mutts is OK. Humor is
                        great): but when you jokingly or even jest with your dignity
                        and humanity just for a laugh is not a wise thing to do.
                        Obama seems to have issues about his mixed race back
                        ground? hopefully he stops these attacks on his own character.
                        For to say mixed race people are nothing more than Mutts,
                        feeds into the widely believed perception of them by bigoted
                        and prejudice minds.He might as well call him self a half breed
                        for it all sends the same message. Period.
                         
                        Pierre

                        --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...> wrote:


                        From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...>
                        Subject: [Generation- Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                        To: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01g.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

                        I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                        As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                        Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.

                        In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                        "john.cashin" <fastercash@ ...> wrote:

                        I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                        if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                        I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                        have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                        as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                        have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                        so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                        just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                        he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                        and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                        he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                        bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                        totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                        some have about us but careless comments like that will
                        only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.

                        [quote]
                        Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                        milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                        However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                        his presidency will improve race relations or
                        elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                        Americans are just too steeped in
                        ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                        For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                        to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                        The story was all over CNN.
                        Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                        of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                        of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                        But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                        [/quote]

                         
                         
                            

                      • maxisterl@yahoo.com
                        I think he was just making a joke!! Lots of ppl say that abt themselves... Shdnt take too much to heart Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry ... From:
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                        View Source
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day I think he was just making a joke!! Lots of ppl say that abt themselves...

                          Shdnt take too much to heart

                          Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry


                          From: Denise Baker
                          Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 03:12:04 -0500
                          To: <Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day

                          I think that says it all...Thx Pierre


                          On 1/11/09 2:11 AM, "pierre jefferson" <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:


                           

                          Hi. Rosanna, I meant no hostility against you in my rant
                          concerning Obama,s usage of the word mutt. Yes I can
                          fully see your assessment of this word mutt spoken by
                          Obama. Then again he does have issues regarding his
                          black father and white mother.Torn between such a culture
                          gap it wasn't easy for him, or any other mixed race person
                          growing up in society. Hopefully he will heal as time rolls
                          on and let this strengthen his Presidency.
                           
                          Pierre

                          --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

                          From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz@...>
                          Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                          To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:13 PM

                          Hi, Pierre. Like I said, I was glad that he actually acknowledged
                          being mixed, since it happens so seldom, regardless of the word he
                          chose. And I'd have to agree that he has issues with being mixed.
                          I've read his memoirs, and he seems to have a lot of issues w/his
                          growing up years, an absentee Black father, raised by White
                          grandparents, etc. He talks about becoming a young man and wanting
                          to claim his "Blackness," if you will. I think he's spent a lot of
                          time trying to become an "authentic" Black man. So, really, I think
                          the use of the word "mutt" is the least of his problems.

                          --- In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01gmail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson200 7@...> wrote:

                          Rosanna I have to disagree regarding Obamas remark referring
                          to him self as a Mutt. This falls into the same perception as
                          the word Mulatto as we all know means a mule. How can a
                          leader seek respect by even jokingly denigrate and demean
                          him self for a good laugh? its like calling him self a mistake
                          or a pile of mud. Yes the whole world is watching and carefully
                          digesting every thing he says. Imagine the young racially mixed
                          children hearing their commander and chief defining him self
                          as a Mutt! this can be deeply internalized by them and send
                          a green light that calling each other mutts is OK. Humor is
                          great): but when you jokingly or even jest with your dignity
                          and humanity just for a laugh is not a wise thing to do.
                          Obama seems to have issues about his mixed race back
                          ground? hopefully he stops these attacks on his own character.
                          For to say mixed race people are nothing more than Mutts,
                          feeds into the widely believed perception of them by bigoted
                          and prejudice minds.He might as well call him self a half breed
                          for it all sends the same message. Period.
                           
                          Pierre

                          --- On Sat, 1/10/09, Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...> wrote:


                          From: Rosanna <rosanna_armendariz @...>
                          Subject: [Generation- Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day
                          To: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01g.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

                          I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times, I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                          As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                          Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's what I am.

                          In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
                          "john.cashin" <fastercash@ ...> wrote:

                          I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                          if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                          I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                          have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                          as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                          have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                          so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                          just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                          he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                          and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                          he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                          bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                          totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                          some have about us but careless comments like that will
                          only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.

                          [quote]
                          Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                          milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                          However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                          his presidency will improve race relations or
                          elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                          Americans are just too steeped in
                          ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                          For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                          to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                          The story was all over CNN.
                          Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                          of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                          of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                          But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                          [/quote]

                           
                           
                              

                        • Rosanna
                          I hear you, John. But my point is that as mixed people we DON T have to identify with the way we look. I gather you are a racially ambiguous looking person
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                          View Source
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I hear you, John. But my point is that as mixed people we DON'T have to identify with the way we look. I gather you are a racially ambiguous looking person like myself. Perhaps neither you nor I have the option of defining as either White or Black b/c of our looks, but there are other mixed people who do look White or Black and could easily pass for monoracial if they wanted to. I find it somewhat problematic when mixed persons who look monoracial (whether White or Black), choose to identify simply w/how they look and how others perceive them, as in the case of Obama who identifies as Black b/c that's how he looks and is perceived.
                            A person's heritage doesn't always come out in their skin color, hair texture, etc., but that doesn't negate their background. I just wish more mixed people would start to fully embrace the diversity of their heritage.



                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                            "john.cashin" <fastercash@...> wrote:


                            You ARE perfectly clear Rosanna no worries <chuckle> I'm with you
                            and it is good that he kind of said it, it's just the way he said it
                            that wasn't good, it is funny what you mentioned because I too have
                            been mistaken for nationalities like Arab, Eygptian and Asian etc,
                            and although there is nothing wrong with any of these nationalities
                            and some of them are Mixed too I have got nothing whatsoever to do
                            with any of them either, apart from being Mixed as aformentioned, but that's not the same as being Arab, Middle Eastern etc, they are
                            cultural groups in their own right, it is not my identity, I can't be Black either, because my father would never have been mistaken for all these different other groups like I am and all of us who are
                            Mixed, he was Black, that's all he was ever seen as, nothing wrong
                            with being Black either but how can I possibly call myself Black like he was if that isn't what all people see when looking at me??.

                            And of course I'm not White either because again I would not be
                            mistaken for all these different things if I was White like my
                            mother was, so I am different from both of the races they were in
                            life, same with Obama and all of us really, not everyone sees him as
                            black though anyway, there is divided opinion, so therefore he can't
                            be Black, if he was there would be no question, he is Bi-Racial, like us, that is his real identity, as I say, good that he acknowledged it but I'm not so keen on him using "mutt" when he does bring it up, it's up to him, he is free to call himself what he wants and make jokes about himself if he wants but it doesn't sound right to me when he does, after all he is a highly intelligent Bi-Racial man who is the leader of the most powerful country in the world, he is worth so much more than that.



                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                            "Rosanna" <rosanna_armendariz@> wrote:


                            I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was actually grateful
                            that Obama made the "mutt" comment. It was one of the few times,
                            I've heard him acknowledge being mixed. I'm not saying he's trying to hide the fact; it is public knowledge. However, he has stated that he identifies as African-American, and he is almost always referred to as "black" or African-American in the media.
                            As a Mixed person, I've always found this somewhat problematic.
                            Obama says he identifies as black b/c that's how he's perceived, but
                            as a Mixed person I disagree that we need to identify in a way that
                            gels w/how others perceive us. In my own case for instance, many
                            people think I'm middle eastern, although I have absolutely no
                            middle eastern heritage! So, should I identify as arabic simply b/c
                            that's how I'm perceived?? Others think I'm Mexican, although I have
                            no Mexican ancestry. Should I say that I'm Mexican just to make
                            others comfortable? I identify as Mixed or Multiethnic b/c that's
                            what I am.



                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                            "john.cashin" <fastercash@> wrote:


                            I wasn't keen on his "mutt" joke either, the reason being is because
                            if we as bi-racial people can't respect ourselves then nobody will,
                            I don't mean that we have to be serious all the time and can't
                            have a laugh and a joke but for too long we have been perceived
                            as "messed up and confused" by some, and there are others who
                            have political motives for wanting to perpetuate that myth,
                            so for us to be self-depreciating, even in jest it's
                            just giving them ammunition, without saying it verbally
                            he should be letting the world know that he is bi-racial
                            and proud to be bi-racial which I'm sure he is really,
                            he is the most powerful man in the world, and he is
                            bi-racial, he is in a good position to finally and
                            totally disprove all these false negative ideas that
                            some have about us but careless comments like that will
                            only serve to confirm them, and the world is watching.


                            [quote]
                            Yes, I agree that Obama's election is a
                            milestone, whether or not you agree with his policies.
                            However, I'm not entirely optimistic that
                            his presidency will improve race relations or
                            elevate the discussion of race in this country.
                            Americans are just too steeped in
                            ignorance as far as I'm concerned.
                            For instance, just the other day Obama jokingly referred
                            to himself as a "mutt," and half of America was shocked.
                            The story was all over CNN.
                            Americans just aren't comfortable w/the topic
                            of race and seem incapable of having any sort
                            of honest discussion on the topic if you ask me.
                            But anyway, hopefully I'm wrong.
                            [/quote]
                          • Your Highness The Queen
                            Re: Obama jokingly referred to himself as a mutt, and half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN. I ve been reading all of the comments on
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                            View Source
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Re: "Obama jokingly referred to himself as a "mutt," and
                              half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN."


                              I've been reading all of the comments on this thus far and I guess I am not surprised to see the varied feelings on this. Not trying to be cute with words, really I think it must be about how you feel your skin, how thick it is, perhaps a matter of a certain kind of humor, I don't understand feeling comfortable about calling me or anyone else a mutt or a Heinz 57 or anything relating to a dog. However, I remember when I was confronting the nature of ancestry as a child, I was also confronted with being told my father was adopted so I was left in mystery for a while. Later I found out there was more to know about both sides, but I was left in a phase of vague generalities about my ancestry for a number of years. He called himself and told me we were mutts and Heinz 57s and I didn't even like dogs! (hehe) So that description did and does not work for me, but I guess I can understand that everyone doesn't feel that same way, nor do they have to, because in the USA we are supposed to be allowed the freedom of expression. Anyway, that being said I can equally say that I don't think the terminology of guys calling other guys "dog" is any better.

                              BePeace
                            • maxisterl@yahoo.com
                              Ppl r comfortable w calling themselves mules (mulatto / mulatta) even n this day n age. I feel it is an antiquated term like negro but this is just my opinion
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                              View Source
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Ppl r comfortable w calling themselves mules
                                (mulatto / mulatta) even n this day n age.
                                I feel it is an antiquated term like
                                negro but this is just my opinion ...

                                M


                                Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry




                                -----Original Message-----




                                From: "Your Highness The Queen" <la_cayena@...>

                                Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:42:15
                                To: <Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com>
                                Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day


                                Re: "Obama jokingly referred to himself as a "mutt," and
                                half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN."

                                I've been reading all of the comments on this thus far and I guess I am not surprised to see the varied feelings on this. Not trying to be cute with words, really I think it must be about how you feel your skin, how thick it is, perhaps a matter of a certain kind of humor, I don't understand feeling comfortable about calling me or anyone else a mutt or a Heinz 57 or anything relating to a dog. However, I remember when I was confronting the nature of ancestry as a child, I was also confronted with being told my father was adopted so I was left in mystery for a while. Later I found out there was more to know about both sides, but I was left in a phase of vague generalities about my ancestry for a number of years. He called himself and told me we were mutts and Heinz 57s and I didn't even like dogs! (hehe) So that description did and does not work for me, but I guess I can understand that everyone doesn't feel that same way, nor do they have to, because in the USA we are supposed to be allowed the freedom of expression. Anyway, that being said I can equally say that I don't think the terminology of guys calling other guys "dog" is any better.

                                BePeace

                                ------------------------------------

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Rosanna
                                When I said half of America was shocked, I didn t mean that they were offended b/c of the non-PC nature of the term. Rather, it seems to me people were shocked
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                                View Source
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  When I said half of America was shocked, I didn't mean that
                                  they were offended b/c of the non-PC nature of the term.
                                  Rather, it seems to me people were shocked that Obama actually
                                  joked about being mixed. Most people seem to view him as "black,"
                                  although most are aware that his mother was White. I think if he'd
                                  used another term instead of mutt, the story still would've been
                                  all over CNN b/c people are just amazed that this "black" man is
                                  actually mixed. Honestly, I've wondered for a long time if he
                                  had a more racially ambiguous appearance, would the media still
                                  refer to him as "black" or "African-American??" Probably not,
                                  since we are so obsessed w/appearance in this society.


                                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                                  "Your Highness The Queen" <la_cayena@...> wrote:


                                  Re: "Obama jokingly referred to himself as a "mutt," and
                                  half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN."


                                  I've been reading all of the comments on this thus far and I guess
                                  am not surprised to see the varied feelings on this. Not trying to
                                  be cute with words, really I think it must be about how you feel your skin, how thick it is, perhaps a matter of a certain kind of humor, I don't understand feeling comfortable about calling me or anyone else a mutt or a Heinz 57 or anything relating to a dog. However, I remember when I was confronting the nature of ancestry as a child, I was also confronted with being told my father was adopted so I was left in mystery for a while. Later I found out there was more to know about both sides, but I was left in a phase of vague generalities about my ancestry for a number of years. He called himself and told me we were mutts and Heinz 57s and I didn't even like dogs! (hehe) So that description did and does not work for me, but I guess I can understand that everyone doesn't feel that same way, nor do they have to, because in the USA we are supposed to be allowed the freedom of expression. Anyway, that being said I can equally say that I don't think the terminology of guys calling other guys "dog" is any better.

                                  BePeace
                                • Denise Baker
                                  Terms of endearment are meant to be endearing, not demeaning...& generalizations are what so many of us try so hard to break away from...some words are used in
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
                                  View Source
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day Terms of endearment are meant to be endearing, not demeaning...& generalizations are what so many of us try so hard to break away from...some words are used in a very cavalier manner, but many are microscopically scrutinized, esp Barack’s words, as he is the leader of the new world now & represents this position as a biracial being...With that said, think of a name that you would not want to be called and substitute it for ‘mutt’ - see if your response is the same...Name calling is just wrong & it hurts – its also an indication of a deeper issue...remember ‘hurt people, hurt people’...
                                    Take care,
                                    Denise
                                    PS, M “negro’ is not an antiquated term & if that term were substituted for ‘mutt’, there would have been more than just a multiracial social group chattin about it...  


                                    On 1/11/09 11:06 PM, "maxisterl@..." <maxisterl@...> wrote:


                                     

                                    Ppl r comfortable w calling themselves mules
                                    (mulatto / mulatta) even n this day n age.
                                    I feel it is an antiquated term like
                                    negro but this is just my opinion ...

                                    M

                                    Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

                                    -----Original Message-----

                                    From: "Your Highness The Queen" <la_cayena@... <mailto:la_cayena%40yahoo.com> >

                                    Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:42:15
                                    To: <Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com> >
                                    Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day

                                    Re: "Obama jokingly referred to himself as a "mutt," and
                                    half of America was shocked. The story was all over CNN."

                                    I've been reading all of the comments on this thus far and I guess I am not surprised to see the varied feelings on this. Not trying to be cute with words, really I think it must be about how you feel your skin, how thick it is, perhaps a matter of a certain kind of humor, I don't understand feeling comfortable about calling me or anyone else a mutt or a Heinz 57 or anything relating to a dog.  However, I remember when I was confronting the nature of ancestry as a child, I was also confronted with being told my father was adopted so I was left in mystery for a while. Later I found out there was more to know about both sides, but I was left in a phase of vague generalities about my ancestry for a number of years. He called himself and told me we were mutts and Heinz 57s and I didn't even like dogs! (hehe) So that description did and does not work for me, but I guess I can understand that everyone doesn't feel that same way, nor do they have to, because in the USA we are supposed to be allowed the freedom of expression. Anyway, that being said I can equally say that I don't think the terminology of guys calling other guys "dog" is any better.

                                    BePeace

                                    ------------------------------------

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                     
                                        

                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.