Re: Colorism in the Mexican Family

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2008
      I agree, Pierre. Thanks for your feedback.
      Hopefully one day this caste system will be dismantled,
      but unfortunately, today it is still firmly in place.
      My relatives don't even stop to think about their views or where
      they come from. They simply spew racist/colorist comments.
      And you're right. If my baby was darker, they wouldn't have paid
      him as much attention. Maybe that would be better b/c I don't want
      him growing up thinking he's better than anyone b/c of his color.
      but it will be my job to try to teach him otherwise.
      Unfortunately, I'll be outnumbered since my husband has
      about 500 family members and there's only one of me.

      --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "Pierre" <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:

      REPLY:

      Yes Rosanna you hit the nail on the head!
      even today even within the Hispanic culture skin color
      plays a vital role. The lighter you are the more valuable
      you are ):the more worshiped and appreciated you are.
      This stems from European influence were people
      were taught that dark or black is bad! and
      can never be beautiful or socially rewarding.
      Your baby passed the white glove test` it had all
      the components to be "LOVED" and showed no signs of
      Ethnic characteristics. So now your relatives bestow
      gifts of approval upon him for being almost White.
      Sadly if your baby had come out dark, the fan fare
      would have come as a nightmare perhaps, and less
      vistors would have knocked at your door to see the baby.
      Color still rules in our world` people will put
      you on a certain level because of your color?
      so hopefully this caste system
      will one day be dismantled
      and blown away with the dust.
      Or should I say Gone with the Wind.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "Rosanna" <rosanna_armendariz@> wrote:

      Hello, all. Some of you know me from previous posts.
      I recently had my first child w/my husband of several years.
      He is Mexican-American and I'm multiethnic (of
      Carribean, Latin American, and European descent).
      Well, wouldn't you know it, but our baby come out looking
      very anglo. He has fair skin and blue-grey-greenish eyes.
      But the thing I find really bizarre is how all my husband's family
      members are sooo pleased and cooing over how white he looks.
      It's like that's their reason for loving him. Sort of makes
      me think they wouldn't care about him if he were dark.
      It's so sad that in 2008 people still have these stupid views.
      I've come across many African-American families where the
      lighter people seemed to be the favorites of the family,
      so I guess it's a similar situation w/Mexicans.
      Like I said, it's a shame. I mean, I want my son
      to be loved, but not b/c of his skin or eye color.