Colorism in the Mexican Family

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello, all. Some of you know me from previous posts. I recently had
      my first child w/my husband of several years. He is Mexican-American
      and I'm multiethnic (of Carribean, Latin American, and European
      descent). Well, wouldn't you know it, but our baby come out looking
      very anglo. He has fair skin and blue-grey-greenish eyes. But the
      thing I find really bizarre is how all my husband's family members are
      sooo pleased and cooing over how white he looks. It's like that's
      their reason for loving him. Sort of makes me think they wouldn't care
      about him if he were dark. It's so sad that in 2008 people still have
      these stupid views. I've come across many African-American families
      where the lighter people seemed to be the favorites of the family, so I
      guess it's a similar situation w/Mexicans. Like I said, it's a shame.
      I mean, I want my son to be loved, but not b/c of his skin or eye
      color.
    • Pierre
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2008
        REPLY:

        Yes Rosanna you hit the nail on the head!
        even today even within the Hispanic culture skin color
        plays a vital role. The lighter you are the more valuable
        you are ):the more worshiped and appreciated you are.
        This stems from European influence were people
        were taught that dark or black is bad! and
        can never be beautiful or socially rewarding.
        Your baby passed the white glove test` it had all
        the components to be "LOVED" and showed no signs of
        Ethnic characteristics. So now your relatives bestow
        gifts of approval upon him for being almost White.
        Sadly if your baby had come out dark, the fan fare
        would have come as a nightmare perhaps, and less
        vistors would have knocked at your door to see the baby.
        Color still rules in our world` people will put
        you on a certain level because of your color?
        so hopefully this caste system
        will one day be dismantled
        and blown away with the dust.
        Or should I say Gone with the Wind.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2008
          I agree, Pierre. Thanks for your feedback.
          Hopefully one day this caste system will be dismantled,
          but unfortunately, today it is still firmly in place.
          My relatives don't even stop to think about their views or where
          they come from. They simply spew racist/colorist comments.
          And you're right. If my baby was darker, they wouldn't have paid
          him as much attention. Maybe that would be better b/c I don't want
          him growing up thinking he's better than anyone b/c of his color.
          but it will be my job to try to teach him otherwise.
          Unfortunately, I'll be outnumbered since my husband has
          about 500 family members and there's only one of me.