Former Lurker now Newbie ;-)

  • Priya
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
      Hello everyone :)

      My name is Priya and I am Mixed-Race, East Indian (Asian Indian),
      White (Welsh, Scottish, English) and Black (African Caribbean).
      I have been checking this group out for a while, but hesitated to
      join. Nevertheless, I am looking to exchange ideas and experiences
      with people of Mixed-Race specifically and all races in general.
      I have been experiencing ALOT of racism lately from all groups I am
      mixed with. I was in a bit of a disheveled state a few weeks ago, but
      I joined a group and met some really cool and accepting people. I am
      doing much better, but am in a bit of a conflicted state on occasion.

      I thoroughly enjoy learning about different cultures, religions,
      and people, so even if your racial background includes races
      different from mine, I would still love to hear from you!
      Culturally I am Indian, Jamaican and American Mixed. This makes
      me a bit eccentric in the eyes of some single-race/cultured people,
      because although I am all of these things, I am not totally anything.
      I also have a very diverse family with the following nationalities
      (please forgive any repetition): (Asian) Indian, Welsh, Scottish,
      English, Irish, Other Eastern European, African Caribbean,
      Chinese, Syrian, Jewish, Spanish (Peru) and some more LOL
      but I will stop here. Its rather interesting because
      although we are all family, we differ culturally at times.

      Hoping to have a good experience here.

      Best wishes of peace and harmony to all :)
    • soul sis36

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
          -Priya ..... that's an unusual name here in the US.
          I have run across it once before, and the young lady stole
          my heart, but I had never let her truly know how hard,
          because of the age and geographical differences.
          You even describe yourself as she would have.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
            Welcome Priya!

            You are among friends :) I look forward to
            getting to know you, and hearing your thoughts.

            Blessings, Lynn

            PS- "Piya" means darling. I found this song about
            Piya and loved the lyrics so I am sending ... *Grin*
            Who knew we'd have someone so famous among us, wink!

            O RE PIYA

            o re piyaa haaye o re piyaa...
            (O beloved...)

            uRne lagaa kyon man baawlaa re
            (Oh, why did my crazy soul begin to fly?)
            aayaa kahaa.n se yah ho.nslaa re
            (Oh, where did this courage come from?)
            o re piyaa o re piyaa haaye
            (O beloved...)

            taanaa-baanaa taanaa-baanaa buntii hawaa haaye buntii hawaa
            (The breeze teases and taunts me, oh, the breeze plays havoc with me.)
            buu.nde.n bhii to aaye nahii.n baaz yahaa.n
            (Even the raindrops won't shower here again.)
            saazish me.n shaamil saaraa jahaa.n hai
            (The whole world is part of the intrigue.)
            har zarre zarre ki yah intezaar hai
            (I never stop waiting.)

            o re piyaa
            (O beloved!)
            o re piyaa haaye o re piyaa haaye
            (O beloved...)
            o re piyaa
            (O beloved!)

            ni re re re ga ga ga ma ma ma pa pa ma ga re sa sa re re sa ga ga re ma ma
            ga pa pa ma dha dha pa ni ni sa sa pa pa sa ma pa dha ni sa ni re ni sa sa sa...
            [Notes in Indian classical music.]

            nazare.n bole.n duniyaa bole
            (The glances are telling, the world is telling)
            dil kii zabaan haaye dil kii zabaan
            (the story of my heart, oh, the story of my heart.)
            ishq maa.nge ishq chaahe koii tuufaan
            (Love prays, love wishes for a hurricane.)
            chalnaa aahiste ishq nayaa hai
            (A new love slowly walks in.)
            pahalaa yah waadaa ham ne kiyaa hai
            (This is the first promise we gave.)

            o re piyaa haaye o re piyaa haaye
            (O beloved...)
            o re piyaa piyaa
            (O beloved, beloved.)
            yah piyaa
            (This beloved.)

            na.nge pairo.n pe a.ngaro.n chaltii rahii haaye chaltii rahii
            (You were stepping on burning charcoal barefoot, oh, you kept walking.)
            lagtaa hai ke gairo.n me.n me.n paltii rahii haaye
            (Oh, it seems that you were brought up among strangers.)
            le chal wahaa.n jo mulk teraa hai
            (Take me to your country.)
            zaahil zamaanaa dushman meraa hai haaye
            (Oh, the cruel world is my enemy.)