Gen-Mixed member , Elizabeth Atkins, leads Panel Discussion on Race

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2008

      Listed below is a posting, from our fellow

      Gen-Mixed group member, Elizabeth Atkins,

      which is being forwarded to our group !! :D

      Please join ELIZABETH ATKINS for a

      conversation that could change your life

      will moderate

      the panel with

      Co-Author of the new book, Other People's Skin:
      Four Novellas,
      from Simon & Schuster.
      Desiree is also a Detroit Free
      Press columnist and an anchor
      on Weekend America on
      National Public Radio.
      Desiree speaks about how her
      provocative story, "New Birth,"
      showcases a woman who
      triumphs over the tragedy
      of racism within the race.

      A psychologist and president of
      Parker Counseling Services,
      Dr. Parker has shared
      her expertise on the
      Oprah Winfrey Show.
      Based in Metro Detroit,
      she counsels individuals
      and couples.
      She offers tips on how women can boost self-esteem in relation to skin color
      and racial identity.

      President Emeritus of the
      Rosa and Raymond Parks
      Institute for Self-Development, Ms. Cabbil is a long-time
      race relations activist
      in Metro Detroit.
      With poignant eloquence,
      she shares insights on how
      we can conquer colorism
      in our community.

      You heard about the party
      that was free for light-skinned
      women only (It was cancelled).

      Then a magazine editor called afros
      and dredlocks a Glamour "don't."

      And you probably hear and see the light skin/dark skin, good hair/bad hair drama play out every day.

      It makes millions of women feel hate.
      From within.
      From the world.
      And toward each other.

      Now it's time to talk about how to
      heal and love ourselves - as we are.

      helps us do just that.

      By talking.

      And by providing tips on how to break
      free of the paralyzing hate of the good
      hair/bad hair, light skin/dark skin drama.

      Let's stop the hate, start
      some love, and celebrate!

      Do that with Other People's Skin: Four Novellas,
      co-authored by Elizabeth Atkins, Desiree Cooper,
      Tracy Price-Thompson and TaRessa Stovall

      Tuesday, February 19, 2008
      7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
      Ann Arbor District Library,
      Downtown Branch
      343 S. Fifth Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
      Free and Open to the Public

      Elizabeth's story, "Take It Off!" appears
      in Other People's Skin: Four Novellas.

      The story showcases a biracal college student
      who finds her power to make social change.

      It is her latest work following novels White Chocolate,
      Dark Secret and Twilight (written with Billy Dee Williams).

      The Montel Williams Show featured Elizabeth as the
      author/expert about race; The Oprah Winfrey Show
      celebrated Elizabeth's 100-pound weight loss.

      Elizabeth has taught writing at Wayne State University,
      Oakland University and Wayne County Community
      College District, where she hosts the Elizabeth
      Atkins Write It Right! series of workshops.

      A former reporter for The Detroit News and writer
      for Fox 2 News, she has a bachelor's degree in English
      Literature from the University of Michigan and a
      master's degree from the Columbia University
      Graduate School of Journalism.

      Elizabeth is also a freelance journalist,
      ghostwriter and diversity speaker.

      A bookstore will be on site with
      Other People's Skin for $14 per copy.

      Elizabeth Atkins

      email: elizabethatkins@...

      web: http://www.elizabethatkins.com

      This email was sent to soaptalk@...
      from elizabethatkins@...

      Elizabeth Atkins | PO Box 31-2515 | Detroit | MI | 48231