Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Part of ME or not?

  • soul sis36
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 23, 2007
      Hello Blondies!!!

      Welcome to the group!!!
      Thanks!!! WOW!!! Very interesting about your family's
      history and ancestry. Hmm... Thanks for sharing. =)

      Happy Holidays!

      P.S. AWW, you will talk to us when you are ready.
      Unless, your habit will break off from "SHY" to Brave! *Smile*

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      blondiesblondiesblondies <sblondie123@...> wrote:
      Hello! Welcome to the group!

      I am new to posting here as well but I am not new
      to the group. I've been a member for a year an a
      half now. I've been doing like you reading all
      of the different posts, and I've just too shy to
      post of say anything but I am no longer shy now.

      I am ready to post and talk away!!!

      It is very exciting to learn about your family tree
      and roots where you and your family come from!

      I am 36 year old female, and I found didn't find
      out about my family tree until the year of 1992.
      That was when my dad's family had a big family reunion
      back in 1992,and we all did a family tree, and everybody
      gathered around to see each other, and I've met counsins
      that I have never met or seen in my life before. They
      were mostly "black" though but my last name is also Irish
      as well like your grandparent' s. Mine is Bax. Both my first
      and last names are Irish ,and my middle name is French.
      My first name is Shannon, and my middle name is Dominique.
      But everybody in my dad's generation and also in my generation
      came to find out that our great-grandparents came from Ireland.
      Our great-grandfather was an Irishmen wayyyyyy back 200 or 400
      years ago. Or, even 100 and something years ago. So, I have
      learned that my dad is Mixed with Irish and black. But I
      truly think he has a little of black in him. Not that much.

      He looks more Mulatto than anything. He looks like a Hispanic man.

      My mother considers herself "black" but her mother which is my
      grandmother considers herself Creole. Both of my parents and
      their parents and family members were all born in New Orleans,
      Louisiana. Well, I think my grandmother( my mother's mother)
      considers herself a "black Creole". But my mother doesn't
      consider herself Creole. She just calls herself "black".
      And her father's mother was a full-blooded Indian lady.
      But after my mom and her sister and brothers were born
      they never did come out looking like Indians. They are all
      black. And my dad's sisters and brothers a few of them
      all look White or Mixed, and a couple of them are black.

      Now, the people in my generation like my cousins on my dad's
      side of the family they are look Hispanic, White, or Mixed-Race.
      Mostly all of my cousins on my dad's side of the family are
      very high-yellow complexioned with dark hair which is either
      dark brown or black. Only a couple of my aunt's haircolor
      was of sandy-brown or brown with blondish highlights.
      I also have one aunt on my dad's side of the family that can also
      grow extremely long hair all of the way down to a litle passed her
      butt. Maybe like to her thighs a little, and I also have a second
      cousin on my dad's side of the family that was also able to grow
      hair that long too but she's deceased now, and til' this day I
      have never gotten the chance to see her with hair that long.
      I know now that since she's deceased I never will get a chance
      to see her with hair that long. I hope that some day soon I will
      see my aunt with her hair that long. I've found out just before
      I was born that my aunt had chopped all of her hair off, and
      she's been keeping it cut from that length since the 1960s.

      Blondie123

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      "Jennifer" <ebaylink1@. ..> wrote:

      Yeah, Rootsweb and Genealogy are great!
      There are groups on Yahoo too.
      I belong to the Acadian roots group they are sooooo
      knowledgeable and some of them are actually cousins!
      It's a small world! I'm glad you are interested
      so many people don't care. I think it's fascinating
      I have pictures of my GR and GR GR and GR
      GR GR Grandparents they are priceless to me.
      I have also learned to archive them so I can
      pass them down to my Grandchildren. Good Luck!

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      "bxcutie264" <bxcutie264@ > wrote:

      Hello Everyone!

      I am new to the group and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

      I've been reading the posts and I see a few of you have tried to
      trace your roots. Just this year, I sat my great-grandmother down
      and asked her about our family. I wrote everything down and drew
      a tree. Though she is old in age, she is as sharp as a tac.
      I know the name of my great-great- great-great grandmother, and
      everyone else down the line. The tree is pretty impressive
      and sometime in the future, I plan to track everyone down.

      My family is originally from South Carolina and Alabama.
      My great-grandmother' s family owned land. There was an article in
      Essence magazine about land in South Carolina being taken to build
      hotels. One man, Johnny Rivers, lived on this land and claimed his
      family had left it to him. But, he did not have any paper work to
      prove. I showed my great-grandmother and sure enough, she said
      that was her cousin. I know my great-grandmother married a man
      who was Black and White (my great-great grandmother is from Spain).
      My gggg-grandmother' s last name is Bonaparte, and that's a French
      me. My last name is McMillian and that sounds Irish to me! Lol.

      Anyway, its really exciting learning about your roots.

      Has anyone ever tried those geneology websites?

    • blondiesblondiesblondies
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 25, 2007
        Hello soul sis36!!!!

        Thank you very much for the warm welcome!!!
        You're welcome!!! I was very glad that my dad's side of the
        family had the reunion back in 1992 b/c if it wasn't for it I
        would have never known anything about our ancestory or history.
        You're welcome. 0)

        Hapyy Holidays to you too!

        P.S. Oh yes, I think it has broken off to "Brave" now....lol

        "Jennifer" <ebaylink1@> wrote:

[...]

      • rolyan7
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
          Definitely Not!! Its still part of what makes you, you.

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "Erica Lewis" <emlewis23@...> wrote:

          Absolutely Not!!!!

          I started researching my
          family tree back in 2004.

          I live in Northern VA (originally from
          Southside VA) and sometimes I am amazed
          how many groups of people who migrated to
          this area who know their roots and culture.

          I've been mistaken for being Hispanic,
          Dominican, etc. even from East Africa!

          I've been to my share of Pow Wows
          and talking to elders but there's
          this thing called "choosing".
          What do I mean?
          You are either going to walk
          the "black" path or "red" path.

          Now I was raised black American with
          the acknowledgment of my Native
          ancestry but that was about it.

          I've gotten some resistance from both
          blacks and Natives, but right now,
          I am being me..... American 1st and
          whatever race some people think I am,
          I will be the best ambassador I can be.

          Right now, I am a little annoyed by
          it all but I am what I am.......
          American with African and Native American
          (Saponi, Blackfoot, Cherokee) ancestry.

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "ejanae" <ejanae@> wrote:

          I recently learned that I not only had african
          ancestry (its obvious) but Native American too.
          I became interested in learning about my Native
          American heritage and the desire to learn about
          the tribe (cherokee). The problem is that
          I have no one in my family that wants to
          acknowlegde it. They feel that because
          I not a biracial (one parent black and
          another Native American) it doesn't matter.
          I think its important to learn everything
          and unique thing about yourself.
          Sometimes it seems to me that they get
          angry when I mention this to them.
          I'm not trying get away from my
          african background, I just want learn
          about the other part or piece of me.

          Am I the only one that feel this way???
        • vamurimi
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
            I too am Mixed Cherokee/Creek, French,
            Anglo-Saxon and African-American.
            I have left the US because I couldn't be a human
            being there ... That's why I live in Ontario Canada.
            I got tired of American racism, after over 40
            years in the Civil Rights/Human Rights movements.
            I have been following some of these groups in yahoo groups
            for over 10 years. I'm a history professor and former faculty
            advisor to our Native Students Assn. at Villanova University.
            Many students started monitoring these groups ... I have determined
            that because of the fact that I've encountered every stereotype,
            cliché and racial myth from those groups ... to reject all labels.
            I refer to my self and my family as Tri-Racials.
            I don't have any ties to the US and have no intention
            of returning for political, ethical and personal
            reasons (I hate racists, fascists and neo cons).
            Only a fool believes that your race or nationality has anything to
            do with what you think, believe or know. It has nothing to do with
            your intelligence (I have had people question my credentials because
            they couldn't believe that a Cherokee could have a doctorate) ...

            Dr. Franklin Farmer
            Toronto

            "ejanae" <ejanae@> wrote:

            I recently learned that I not only had african
            ancestry (its obvious) but Native American too.
            I became interested in learning about my Native
            American heritage and the desire to learn about
            the tribe (cherokee). The problem is that
            I have no one in my family that wants to
            acknowlegde it. They feel that because
            I not a biracial (one parent black and
            another Native American) it doesn't matter.
            I think its important to learn everything
            and unique thing about yourself.
            Sometimes it seems to me that they get
            angry when I mention this to them.
            I'm not trying get away from my
            african background, I just want learn
            about the other part or piece of me.

            Am I the only one that feel this way???
          • blingdutty
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
              There's a whole heap of people out there
              so you're completely not the only person!
              Not everyone finds certain things interesting,
              it doesn't mean you don't have to.
              By the way, just to say I think you should
              be loving heritage so much - it's such
              a rich tapestry that makes you you!

              "ejanae" <ejanae@> wrote:

              I recently learned that I not only had african
              ancestry (its obvious) but Native American too.
              I became interested in learning about my Native
              American heritage and the desire to learn about
              the tribe (cherokee). The problem is that
              I have no one in my family that wants to
              acknowlegde it. They feel that because
              I not a biracial (one parent black and
              another Native American) it doesn't matter.
              I think its important to learn everything
              and unique thing about yourself.
              Sometimes it seems to me that they get
              angry when I mention this to them.
              I'm not trying get away from my
              african background, I just want learn
              about the other part or piece of me.

              Am I the only one that feel this way???
            • Rosanna
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                I hear you, Dr. Farmer.
                I have a master's degree and have held down mostly
                professional white-collar jobs, yet many people
                assume, on the basis of my skin color, hair texture,
                how I dress and do my makeup, that I must be a
                highschool dropout and work as a waitress somewhere.
                I've had many people make comments to me along
                those lines, particularly middle-aged white women.
                It really is sad that so many people
                still operate according to stereotype.