What are the general feelings towards using the term "mulatto"?

  • brooke84z
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
      What do most people of black/white mixed-background think of the term?
      Not just in this group but in general?
      I know that the term has its origination in the Spanish/Portugese word
      meaning young donkey, an animal that cannot have viable offspring.
      I know that some people embrace the term, but breaking it down,
      what are the general population's attitudes towards it versus
      black/white mixed-race people versus people in this group?
    • Stephanie Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2007
        It's is just a term ' . But for some reason I think of
        mulatto don't bother me too much. Cause I know who I am.
        In the world beyond this group, it can be admired or it
        can be offensive I guess. I have heard it is worse if
        you are biracial in other countries, than it is here.

        brooke84z <brooke84z@...> wrote:
        What do most people of black/white mixed-background think of the term?
        Not just in this group but in general?
        I know that the term has its origination in the Spanish/Portugese word
        meaning young donkey, an animal that cannot have viable offspring.
        I know that some people embrace the term, but breaking it down,
        what are the general population's attitudes towards it versus
        black/white mixed-race people versus people in this group?
      • prettycutetk
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2007
          Mulatto doesn't really bother me but,
          I don't refer to myself as mulatto.

          It sounds like an "old term" to
          me so, I really don't use it.

          I usually say mixed, biracial or multicultural.

          I know of biracial people who don't like to be
          called mixed but, it doesn't bother me at all.

          That's just my opinion.

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "brooke84z" <brooke84z@...> wrote:

          What do most people of black/white mixed-background think of the term?
          Not just in this group but in general?
          I know that the term has its origination in the Spanish/Portugese word
          meaning young donkey, an animal that cannot have viable offspring.
          I know that some people embrace the term, but breaking it down,
          what are the general population's attitudes towards it versus
          black/white mixed-race people versus people in this group?
        • Philip Arnell
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2007
            there are so many terms all over the world to desribe
            people in this category, it is a regional thing.
            It is up to you how you want to take it.
            As long as you are secure in your
            identity, it shouldn't matter.

            "brooke84z" <brooke84z@. ..> wrote:

            What do most people of black/white mixed-background think of the term?
            Not just in this group but in general?
            I know that the term has its origination in the Spanish/Portugese word
            meaning young donkey, an animal that cannot have viable offspring.
            I know that some people embrace the term, but breaking it down,
            what are the general population's attitudes towards it versus
            black/white mixed-race people versus people in this group?

          • Rosanna
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
              Hi, Brooke.

              There is extensive debate as to the
              exact origins of the word Mulatto.

              Some historians say that it was used in North
              America PRIOR to there even being mules here,
              so the term could NOT have originally meant mule.
              Along these lines, there are researchers who say
              that it comes from an Arabic word which simply
              meant Mixed, and was not anything offensive.
              I'm sorry that I don't have links to these sources or to books
              on this topic. I'm at work and unfortunately don't have time
              to cut and paste all that, but I assure you, if you research
              the topic, you will see that the mule thing is by no means a given.

              And personally, regardless of the origin, I like the term mulatto.

              I also used terms like multiracial and mixed, but I think these
              are rather vague as they don't specify what you're mixed with.
              I think for those of us mixed with Black & White
              Mulatto can be useful term in this regard.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
                And to add to my previous comment in this thread,
                as an FYI to anyone who was my friend on myspace,
                I deleted my "Mulatta Loca" profile at least in part b/c of
                all the harrassment I was getting over my use of the term.
                Like I said, to fill in the rest of you, my screenname
                was Mulatta Loca and I blogged about Mixed-Race Identity
                and sometimes used the term Mulatto in my blogs.
                Along w/the negativity, though, I got A LOT
                of positive feedback from other Mixed-Race
                people and people w/ Mixed kids, but in the end
                that wasn't worth all the annoying messages
                from people trying to be the language police.
                Plus, myspace was just getting too time consuming,
                and they're constantly adding new features
                that will keep you on there even longer.
                Down the line I may create a new profile,
                but I'll keep better control of it next time.