Re: [Generation-Mixed] Poem - The Doctor wants you SICK!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hello Pierre,

      I was actually laughing at "The Doctor wants you SICK!". **Grin**
      Maybe I need a pill for that and charge me a ton
      of money bc laughing can be a serious problem!

      This is my favorite stanza:

      The doctors on the golf course`
      while your laying sick in bed,
      As you worry about your insurance`
      and all the things the doctor said,

      Have you read Bernie Siegal?

      He is a surgeon who wrote this book
      called "Love, Medicine and Miracles".

      Dr. Siegal found that just having a poor
      prognosis and believing you are sick, can
      cause a patient's health to decline, even fatally.

      Dr. Seigal teaches way to better communicate,
      and connect with your doctor to work as a
      team for your own recovery and healing.
      Dr. Seigal also discusses ways patients
      can initiate their own healing and feel
      empowered in the choices they make.
      It a very inspirational yet practical book.
      I am including a short article by Dr. Siegal below.

      Blessings! Lynn

      ___________________________

      How to Heal Yourself

      by Dr. Bernie Siegel, author of Love, Medicine and Miracles

      Dr. Bernie Siegel is a physician who has
      cared for and counseled innumerable patients.

      He embraces a philosophy that is at the forefront of a
      society grappling with medical ethics and spiritual issues.
      His best-selling books include:Love, Medicine & Miracles;
      Peace, Love & Healing; and How to Live Between Office Visits

      Dr. Bernie Siegel photo

      If you view illness as an opportunity, then when you
      get sick, you can ask yourself, "Okay, what can I learn
      from this disease. What do I need to look at first?"
      When I began working with the group Exceptional
      Center Patients, I noticed many of the group
      lived longer than their doctors expected.

      I wanted to know why.

      I began to observe and inquire and noticed
      that the long-term survivors were the ones
      who began to pay attention to their feelings.
      As they expressed their emotions, made wise choices
      and became more spiritual, their bodies benefited.
      The physical changes were the side effects of an altered life.
      Physicians call the most dramatic
      healings "spontaneous remissions."
      Once we have labeled them, we learn nothing from
      the people in whom those remissions take place.
      We cannot afford to ignore these remarkable successes.
      We are all at risk for a great many diseases, and as the world
      gets smaller the list of things we are exposed to grows larger.
      We need to learn from people who
      recover and people who stay healthy.
      In his novel Cancer Ward, Solzhenitsyn wrote of 'self-induced
      healing', which is a much better term than "spontaneous remission."
      Solzhenitsyn chose a rainbow-colored butterfly to symbolize healing.
      The butterfly represents change and the rainbow
      represents all of our feelings and emotions.
      We need to let the butterfly of change and
      emotional growth touch our lives if we are to heal.
      One of the gloomy patients in Cancer Ward reacts
      to the talk of self-healing with this complaint:
      "I suppose for that you need to have a clear conscience."
      He is right.
      You do have to have a clear conscience.
      When you do the work necessary to clear your conscience, then the
      joy of living returns and the physiology of optimism restores you.
      If you are ill or facing adversity, you can begin to heal
      yourself by following the paths others have followed.
      Forgive yourself and others, live with hope, faith and love
      and watch the results in your life and in the lives you touch.
      Remember that success and healing refer to what you
      do with your life, not to how long you avoid death.
      What approach should you take to your illness?
      I have three words of advice: accept, retreat and surrender.
      Those three words might scare you if you were an
      inexperienced warrior going into battle, but others
      who have employed these tactics have won great victories.

      You need to accept your situation if
      you want to be empowered to change it.

      I don't mean you need to accept any particular
      outcome of a disease, but you need to accept that the
      disease exists in your life and you are a participant.
      Once you accept that the disease or other misfortune
      has become a part of your life, you can marshal
      your forces to eliminate or alter it.
      If you avoid thinking about it, deny it or feel hopeless,
      you cannot play a part in changing it and your life.

      Accepting the situation does not mean accepting someone
      else's prediction about what will happen to you.

      No one knows what your future will be.
      Do not accept that you must die in three weeks or
      six months because someone's statistics say you will.
      You are better off denying your illness completely than
      accepting a prediction that sounds like a death sentence.
      The best course, though, is accepting that you have
      problems while denying anyone's predictions
      about how your situation will turn out.
      Individuals are not statistics.
      When I say "retreat," I don't mean withdrawing
      in the face of a more powerful opponent.
      For me a retreat means withdrawing to a quiet place
      where I can be aware of my thoughts and feelings.
      The quiet place may be anywhere; the source
      of true peace and quiet are inside me.
      In my retreat I withdraw from all the demands of life, but
      at the same time I am fully alive to myself and my loved ones.
      I do not always retreat alone.
      I can retreat with those who are close to me so that we can heal
      our forces and prepare to take on life when our retreat is over.
      When we return we are ready to fight for our lives.
      My wife Bobbie and I regularly retreated
      when our five children were young.
      We needed the space and time to restore and heal ourselves.
      When you have accepted, retreated and prepared
      yourself to fight, then you are ready to surrender.
      Again, you do not surrender to outcomes but to events.
      We waste so much energy fighting the nature of life.
      Accept the nature of life and surrender to it.
      When you do, you will have peace.
      When our energy is restored, we stop fighting things
      we cannot control, and we can start building our lives.
      Surrender is not about doing nothing;
      it is about doing the right things.
      When you surrender to the illness, you continue to
      receive your treatments, explore your feelings, repair
      your relationships and do all the other work of healing.
      But while you are working, you are saying,
      "Thy will be done" and not "My will be done."

      Surrender the pain, fear and worries and you'll
      be able to keep love, hope and joy in your life.
      As the Serenity Prayer tells us,
      leave it to God ... and rest.

      Excerpted with permission from Prescriptions
      for Living ©1998 by Bernie S. Siegel, M.D.,
      HarperCollins Publishers, New York, NY.
      Available in stores or visit
      www.harpercollins.com to order.