Re: Which is worst?

  • Your Highness The Queen
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
      Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

      Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
      on the subject of race and I've heard a few
      too many arguments or discussions among others
      concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
      do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

      I would rather be asked or included in
      the conversation, which is a perfect
      seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

      Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
      I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
      about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
      appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
      me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

      I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
      wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
      When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
      response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
      that is not a part of California's population.

      There used to be a thing we would say to the
      starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
      Alas, there are now too many people out there
      carrying around cameras. Those people are even
      worse, the strangers who just snap photos
      without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
      That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I'm new to this group...

      Just a conversation starter, do you get people
      not actually believing that you are Mixed?

      I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
      people don't believe that I am either!
      They either think I am Swedish or American...
      Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

      Miranda
    • killingthemockingbird
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
        Thanks for the great welcome!
      • mulatta_loca
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
          Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
          A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
          ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
          actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
          Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          I'm new to this group...

          Just a conversation starter, do you get people
          not actually believing that you are Mixed?

          I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
          people don't believe that I am either!
          They either think I am Swedish or American...
          Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

          Miranda
        • Va Murimi
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
            I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
            in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
            I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
            I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
            were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
            My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
            was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
            LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
            going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
            Frank Farmer
            Toronto

            Chris Everett <talloreo@...> wrote:

            This question just popped into my head,

            I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

            But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
            I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
            and everynow and then, I hear about
            this from other Multi-racal people.

            So the question is here,

            What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
            you are or people trying not to stare at you?

          • mulatta_loca
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
              My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
              and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
              around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
              fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                but French is not my first language. As far
                as my religion, that's more problematic.
                I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                My French family has learned to accept
                that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                because we aren't going to have any kids.
                Franklin Farmer
                Toronto

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                  Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                  where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                  For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                  are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                  which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                  I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                  me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                  approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                  interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                  at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.