Re: [Generation-Mixed] Which is worst?

  • soul sis36
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
      Pierre,

      I agree with you. You are right.
      Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
      experience, history, culture, and many more.
      Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
      feelings or share with that.
      It is hard to show the express toward
      feeling to families, friends, etc.
      Depend what the person can accept or not.
      It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

      pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:
      Soul SIS,

        This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
      can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
      only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
      to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
      It's almost like being inside a body that has
      no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
      or oddity to most people who may find your
      mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
      When you appear to look like two races or even
      three races all mixed together its liken to blending
      stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
      So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
      perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
      AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
      serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

      Pierre

      soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Pierre,

      I understand how you feel about this.
      That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
      They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
      Depend how they feel comfortable or not.

      pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

      Personally` i would say the annoying
      questions are hearing "What are you?
      Because explaining all the time to them
      "Why your different, and being made to
      feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
      People think everyone should look a certain
      way, and if you don't look like you suppose
      to look then they feel they must correct
      or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
      Being unable to place you into the
      proper BOX` can even anger many
      people who need to fill in the DOTS.
      Mix race people are a threat to the
      visual perceptions of race, because
      society has a grouping system that
      we all belong to willingly or not.

      But on the other hand, some people may look
      away, rather than to acknowledge that you
      exist, and also feel embarrassed by their
      own social curiosities regarding race.
      Because if they look at you they know
      that you know why their looking at you.
      Because its obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

      Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
      its all part and parcel of a never ending need
      for us as human beings to judge each other.
      Pierre

      chris everett <talloreo@yahoo. com> wrote:

      This question just popped into my head,

      I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

      But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
      I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
      and everynow and then, I hear about
      this from other Multi-racal people.

      So the question is here,

      What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
      you are or people trying not to stare at you?

    • Your Highness The Queen
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
        Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

        Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
        on the subject of race and I've heard a few
        too many arguments or discussions among others
        concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
        do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

        I would rather be asked or included in
        the conversation, which is a perfect
        seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

        Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
        I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
        about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
        appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
        me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

        I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
        wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
        When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
        response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
        that is not a part of California's population.

        There used to be a thing we would say to the
        starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
        Alas, there are now too many people out there
        carrying around cameras. Those people are even
        worse, the strangers who just snap photos
        without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
        That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        I'm new to this group...

        Just a conversation starter, do you get people
        not actually believing that you are Mixed?

        I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
        people don't believe that I am either!
        They either think I am Swedish or American...
        Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

        Miranda
      • killingthemockingbird
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
          Thanks for the great welcome!
        • mulatta_loca
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
            Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
            A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
            ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
            actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
            Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
            "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

            Hi,

            I'm new to this group...

            Just a conversation starter, do you get people
            not actually believing that you are Mixed?

            I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
            people don't believe that I am either!
            They either think I am Swedish or American...
            Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

            Miranda
          • Va Murimi
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
              I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
              in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
              I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
              I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
              were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
              My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
              was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
              LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
              going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
              Frank Farmer
              Toronto

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                  Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                  My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                  descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                  I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                  but French is not my first language. As far
                  as my religion, that's more problematic.
                  I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                  humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                  My French family has learned to accept
                  that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                  because we aren't going to have any kids.
                  Franklin Farmer
                  Toronto

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                    Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                    where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                    For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                    are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                    which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                    I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                    me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                    approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                    interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                    at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.