Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Which is worst?

  • soul sis36
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Miranda,

      Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. :)
      Have a good evening. Take Care. God bless you.

      killingthemockingbird <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group...

      Just a conversation starter, do you get people
      not actually believing that you are Mixed?

      I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
      people don't believe that I am either!
      They either think I am Swedish or American...
      Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

      Miranda

    • soul sis36
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
        Pierre,

        I agree with you. You are right.
        Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
        experience, history, culture, and many more.
        Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
        feelings or share with that.
        It is hard to show the express toward
        feeling to families, friends, etc.
        Depend what the person can accept or not.
        It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

        pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:
        Soul SIS,

          This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
        can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
        only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
        to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
        It's almost like being inside a body that has
        no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
        or oddity to most people who may find your
        mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
        When you appear to look like two races or even
        three races all mixed together its liken to blending
        stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
        So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
        perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
        AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
        serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

        Pierre

        soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

        Pierre,

        I understand how you feel about this.
        That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
        They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
        Depend how they feel comfortable or not.

        pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

        Personally` i would say the annoying
        questions are hearing "What are you?
        Because explaining all the time to them
        "Why your different, and being made to
        feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
        People think everyone should look a certain
        way, and if you don't look like you suppose
        to look then they feel they must correct
        or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
        Being unable to place you into the
        proper BOX` can even anger many
        people who need to fill in the DOTS.
        Mix race people are a threat to the
        visual perceptions of race, because
        society has a grouping system that
        we all belong to willingly or not.

        But on the other hand, some people may look
        away, rather than to acknowledge that you
        exist, and also feel embarrassed by their
        own social curiosities regarding race.
        Because if they look at you they know
        that you know why their looking at you.
        Because its obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

        Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
        its all part and parcel of a never ending need
        for us as human beings to judge each other.
        Pierre

        chris everett <talloreo@yahoo. com> wrote:

        This question just popped into my head,

        I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

        But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
        I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
        and everynow and then, I hear about
        this from other Multi-racal people.

        So the question is here,

        What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
        you are or people trying not to stare at you?

      • Your Highness The Queen
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
          Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

          Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
          on the subject of race and I've heard a few
          too many arguments or discussions among others
          concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
          do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

          I would rather be asked or included in
          the conversation, which is a perfect
          seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

          Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
          I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
          about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
          appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
          me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

          I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
          wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
          When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
          response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
          that is not a part of California's population.

          There used to be a thing we would say to the
          starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
          Alas, there are now too many people out there
          carrying around cameras. Those people are even
          worse, the strangers who just snap photos
          without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
          That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          I'm new to this group...

          Just a conversation starter, do you get people
          not actually believing that you are Mixed?

          I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
          people don't believe that I am either!
          They either think I am Swedish or American...
          Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

          Miranda
        • killingthemockingbird
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
            Thanks for the great welcome!
          • mulatta_loca
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
              Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
              A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
              ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
              actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
              Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
              "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              I'm new to this group...

              Just a conversation starter, do you get people
              not actually believing that you are Mixed?

              I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
              people don't believe that I am either!
              They either think I am Swedish or American...
              Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

              Miranda
            • Va Murimi
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
                in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
                I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
                I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
                were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
                My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
                was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
                LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
                going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
                Frank Farmer
                Toronto

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                  My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                  and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                  around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                  fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                    Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                    My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                    descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                    I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                    but French is not my first language. As far
                    as my religion, that's more problematic.
                    I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                    humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                    My French family has learned to accept
                    that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                    because we aren't going to have any kids.
                    Franklin Farmer
                    Toronto

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                      where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                      For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                      are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                      which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                      I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                      me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                      approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                      interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                      at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.