Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Which is worst?

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi, Miranda

       Welcome to the group here a Generation-Mixed,
      yes if you were blonde or had blue eyes i could
      see why they think your Swedish? or American,
      but perhaps your features are such you may appear
      to be a skin tanned Swedish person?...but this is
      how people assume things just by looking at
      someone. We all dont fit the standard mold,
      or look the way we are suppose to look.

      Pierre

      killingthemockingbird <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group...

      Just a conversation starter, do you get people
      not actually believing that you are Mixed?

      I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
      people don't believe that I am either!
      They either think I am Swedish or American...
      Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

      Miranda

    • chris everett
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
        I used to, but not anymore, people would always argue
        that i'm hispanic, or they would whisper (terribly
        loud, that i was spanish or italian of some kind),
        nowadays, unless I tell someone I'm Mixed, I can make them believe
        i'm hispanic, but i never really had the urge to pretend to be
        hispanic, so, not really...I think i strayed from the question..

        yes, but not like it used to be

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        I'm new to this group...

        Just a conversation starter, do you get people
        not actually believing that you are Mixed?

        I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
        people don't believe that I am either!
        They either think I am Swedish or American...
        Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

        Miranda
      • soul sis36
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi Miranda,

          Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. :)
          Have a good evening. Take Care. God bless you.

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
            Pierre,

            I agree with you. You are right.
            Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
            experience, history, culture, and many more.
            Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
            feelings or share with that.
            It is hard to show the express toward
            feeling to families, friends, etc.
            Depend what the person can accept or not.
            It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

            pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:
            Soul SIS,

              This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
            can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
            only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
            to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
            It's almost like being inside a body that has
            no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
            or oddity to most people who may find your
            mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
            When you appear to look like two races or even
            three races all mixed together its liken to blending
            stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
            So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
            perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
            AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
            serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

            Pierre

            soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

            Pierre,

            I understand how you feel about this.
            That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
            They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
            Depend how they feel comfortable or not.

            pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

            Personally` i would say the annoying
            questions are hearing "What are you?
            Because explaining all the time to them
            "Why your different, and being made to
            feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
            People think everyone should look a certain
            way, and if you don't look like you suppose
            to look then they feel they must correct
            or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
            Being unable to place you into the
            proper BOX` can even anger many
            people who need to fill in the DOTS.
            Mix race people are a threat to the
            visual perceptions of race, because
            society has a grouping system that
            we all belong to willingly or not.

            But on the other hand, some people may look
            away, rather than to acknowledge that you
            exist, and also feel embarrassed by their
            own social curiosities regarding race.
            Because if they look at you they know
            that you know why their looking at you.
            Because its obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

            Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
            its all part and parcel of a never ending need
            for us as human beings to judge each other.
            Pierre

            chris everett <talloreo@yahoo. com> wrote:

            This question just popped into my head,

            I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

            But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
            I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
            and everynow and then, I hear about
            this from other Multi-racal people.

            So the question is here,

            What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
            you are or people trying not to stare at you?

          • Your Highness The Queen
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
              Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

              Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
              on the subject of race and I've heard a few
              too many arguments or discussions among others
              concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
              do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

              I would rather be asked or included in
              the conversation, which is a perfect
              seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

              Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
              I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
              about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
              appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
              me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

              I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
              wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
              When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
              response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
              that is not a part of California's population.

              There used to be a thing we would say to the
              starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
              Alas, there are now too many people out there
              carrying around cameras. Those people are even
              worse, the strangers who just snap photos
              without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
              That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
              "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              I'm new to this group...

              Just a conversation starter, do you get people
              not actually believing that you are Mixed?

              I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
              people don't believe that I am either!
              They either think I am Swedish or American...
              Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

              Miranda
            • killingthemockingbird
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                Thanks for the great welcome!
              • mulatta_loca
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
                  A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
                  ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
                  actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
                  Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                  "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

                  Hi,

                  I'm new to this group...

                  Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                  not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                  I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                  people don't believe that I am either!
                  They either think I am Swedish or American...
                  Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                  Miranda
                • Va Murimi
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                    I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
                    in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
                    I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
                    I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
                    were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
                    My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
                    was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
                    LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
                    going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
                    Frank Farmer
                    Toronto

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                      My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                      and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                      around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                      fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                        Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                        My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                        descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                        I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                        but French is not my first language. As far
                        as my religion, that's more problematic.
                        I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                        humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                        My French family has learned to accept
                        that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                        because we aren't going to have any kids.
                        Franklin Farmer
                        Toronto

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                          Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                          where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                          For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                          are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                          which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                          I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                          me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                          approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                          interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                          at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.