Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Which is worst?

  • soul sis36
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi Mix4evr,

      Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. Have a good evening. :)

      mixd4evr <ebaylink1@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I'm new, just joined.

      This is not a response to you personally but I think it's
      human nature. I have come to notice that people who are
      not Mixed don't get it. They do not understand and some
      just plain don't want to, it's too foreign for them.
      I'm Mixed and so is my husband, he's half Korean and
      has never been to Korea because his relatives just
      don't understand other races or Multi-Racial people.
      I am a Mixed-blood French Canadian and really the only
      ones who seriously check me out are other Indians and
      Mexicans, everyone else assumes I am Italian no offense
      to Italians. I've heard Italian, Puerto Rican, Eskimo.
      It's sort of amusing as long as they're not rude about it!
      So yeah, I've gotten the "what are you" too?

      pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson200 7@...> wrote:

      Personally` i would say the annoying questions
      are hearing "What are you? because explaining
      all the time to them " Why your different, and
      being made to feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
      People think everyone should look a certain way,
      and if you don't look like you suppose to look?
      then they feel they must correct or investigate
      why your a puzzle to them. Being unable to place
      you into the proper BOX` can even anger many
      people who need to fill in the DOTS. Mix race people
      are a threat to the visual perceptions of race, because
      society has a grouping system that we all belong
      to willingly or not.

      But on the other hand, some people may look away,
      wrather than to acknowledge that you exist, and
      also feel embarrassed by their own social curiosities
      regarding race.Because if they look at you? they know
      that you know why their looking at you. Because its
      obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

      Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
      its all part and parcel of a never ending need
      for us as human beings to judge each other.

      Pierre

      chris everett <talloreo@.. .> wrote:

      This question just popped into my head,

      I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

      But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
      I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
      and everynow and then, I hear about
      this from other Multi-racal people.

      So the question is here,

      What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
      you are or people trying not to stare at you?

    • pierre jefferson
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
        Soul SIS,

         This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
        can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
        only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
        to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
        It's almost like being inside a body that has
        no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
        or oddity to most people who may find your
        mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
        When you appear to look like two races or even
        three races all mixed together its liken to blending
        stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
        So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
        perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
        AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
        serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

        Pierre

        soul sis36 <soulsis36@...> wrote:

        Pierre,

        I understand how you feel about this.
        That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
        They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
        Depend how they feel comfortable or not. color

        pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

        Personally` i would say the annoying
        questions are hearing "What are you?
        Because explaining all the time to them
        "Why your different, and being made to
        feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
        People think everyone should look a certain
        way, and if you don't look like you suppose
        to look then they feel they must correct
        or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
        Being unable to place you into the
        proper BOX` can even anger many
        people who need to fill in the DOTS.
        Mix race people are a threat to the
        visual perceptions of race, because
        society has a grouping system that
        we all belong to willingly or not.

        But on the other hand, some people may look
        away, rather than to acknowledge that you

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi, Mix4evr,

          I also welcome you to the group,

          I Totally agree with you, unless a person is mixed
          themself they can not feel the feelings mixed race
          people feel ` its like explaining to a blind person
          what the color blue looks like. They just don't "Get IT"
          or they don't want to understand or even try.

          Your husband being half Korean has to choose between
          his Korean blood and the other also, we all who have
          mixtures must choose one side over the other? or be
          driven to do so by social pressures.

          Your French Canadian blood certainly has brought
          many towards you with curiosities? instead of
          genuine reasons concerning your mixed heritage.
          Indians and Mexicans see a key connective
          reflection within you!..then you also may and
          do appear Italian to others? ..ect this
          amongst other identities can be so confusing
          not only to them but certainly to you.
          How do you relate to a sea of characteristics
          that claim to be you? i feel your husband has
          less identities to address): but you have far
          more to face, in a world that only see,s the Race
          before seeing the person. How sad that we place
          such limits on each other. But good luck on your
          mixed race marriage, i wish you both much
          happiness.

          Pierre

          mixd4evr <ebaylink1@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

        • killingthemockingbird
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
            Hi,

            I'm new to this group...

            Just a conversation starter, do you get people
            not actually believing that you are Mixed?

            I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
            people don't believe that I am either!
            They either think I am Swedish or American...
            Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

            Miranda
          • pierre jefferson
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
              Hi, Miranda

               Welcome to the group here a Generation-Mixed,
              yes if you were blonde or had blue eyes i could
              see why they think your Swedish? or American,
              but perhaps your features are such you may appear
              to be a skin tanned Swedish person?...but this is
              how people assume things just by looking at
              someone. We all dont fit the standard mold,
              or look the way we are suppose to look.

              Pierre

              killingthemockingbird <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:
              Hi,

              I'm new to this group...

              Just a conversation starter, do you get people
              not actually believing that you are Mixed?

              I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
              people don't believe that I am either!
              They either think I am Swedish or American...
              Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

              Miranda

            • chris everett
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                I used to, but not anymore, people would always argue
                that i'm hispanic, or they would whisper (terribly
                loud, that i was spanish or italian of some kind),
                nowadays, unless I tell someone I'm Mixed, I can make them believe
                i'm hispanic, but i never really had the urge to pretend to be
                hispanic, so, not really...I think i strayed from the question..

                yes, but not like it used to be

                In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Miranda,

                  Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. :)
                  Have a good evening. Take Care. God bless you.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Pierre,

                    I agree with you. You are right.
                    Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
                    experience, history, culture, and many more.
                    Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
                    feelings or share with that.
                    It is hard to show the express toward
                    feeling to families, friends, etc.
                    Depend what the person can accept or not.
                    It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

                    soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

[...]

                  • Your Highness The Queen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

                      Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
                      on the subject of race and I've heard a few
                      too many arguments or discussions among others
                      concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
                      do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

                      I would rather be asked or included in
                      the conversation, which is a perfect
                      seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

                      Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
                      I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
                      about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
                      appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
                      me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

                      I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
                      wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
                      When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
                      response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
                      that is not a part of California's population.

                      There used to be a thing we would say to the
                      starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
                      Alas, there are now too many people out there
                      carrying around cameras. Those people are even
                      worse, the strangers who just snap photos
                      without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
                      That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Thanks for the great welcome!
                      • mulatta_loca
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
                          A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
                          ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
                          actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
                          Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

                          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                          "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

                          Hi,

                          I'm new to this group...

                          Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                          not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                          I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                          people don't believe that I am either!
                          They either think I am Swedish or American...
                          Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                          Miranda
                        • Va Murimi
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                            I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
                            in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
                            I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
                            I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
                            were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
                            My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
                            was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
                            LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
                            going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
                            Frank Farmer
                            Toronto

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                              My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                              and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                              around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                              fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                                Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                                My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                                descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                                I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                                but French is not my first language. As far
                                as my religion, that's more problematic.
                                I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                                humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                                My French family has learned to accept
                                that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                                because we aren't going to have any kids.
                                Franklin Farmer
                                Toronto

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                                  Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                                  where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                                  For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                                  are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                                  which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                                  I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                                  me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                                  approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                                  interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                                  at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.