Re: [Generation-Mixed] Which is worst?

  • soul sis36
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4 6:02 PM
      Hi Chris,

      People think that I am from other country. Not in USA. I told them, No. I am born and raised in America. Because my skin looks like other country. Oh boy. They tend to ask me where are you from? or What are you? I hate it. It really is annoying me. They make me nerves to ask and sometimes discrimination because my race, my culture, family, etc.

      chris everett <talloreo@...> wrote:
      This question just popped into my head,

      I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

      But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
      I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
      and everynow and then, I hear about
      this from other Multi-racal people.

      So the question is here,

      What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
      you are or people trying not to stare at you?

    • soul sis36
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 4 6:05 PM
        Hi Mix4evr,

        Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. Have a good evening. :)

        mixd4evr <ebaylink1@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        I'm new, just joined.

        This is not a response to you personally but I think it's
        human nature. I have come to notice that people who are
        not Mixed don't get it. They do not understand and some
        just plain don't want to, it's too foreign for them.
        I'm Mixed and so is my husband, he's half Korean and
        has never been to Korea because his relatives just
        don't understand other races or Multi-Racial people.
        I am a Mixed-blood French Canadian and really the only
        ones who seriously check me out are other Indians and
        Mexicans, everyone else assumes I am Italian no offense
        to Italians. I've heard Italian, Puerto Rican, Eskimo.
        It's sort of amusing as long as they're not rude about it!
        So yeah, I've gotten the "what are you" too?

        pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson200 7@...> wrote:

        Personally` i would say the annoying questions
        are hearing "What are you? because explaining
        all the time to them " Why your different, and
        being made to feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
        People think everyone should look a certain way,
        and if you don't look like you suppose to look?
        then they feel they must correct or investigate
        why your a puzzle to them. Being unable to place
        you into the proper BOX` can even anger many
        people who need to fill in the DOTS. Mix race people
        are a threat to the visual perceptions of race, because
        society has a grouping system that we all belong
        to willingly or not.

        But on the other hand, some people may look away,
        wrather than to acknowledge that you exist, and
        also feel embarrassed by their own social curiosities
        regarding race.Because if they look at you? they know
        that you know why their looking at you. Because its
        obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

        Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
        its all part and parcel of a never ending need
        for us as human beings to judge each other.

        Pierre

        chris everett <talloreo@.. .> wrote:

        This question just popped into my head,

        I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

        But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
        I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
        and everynow and then, I hear about
        this from other Multi-racal people.

        So the question is here,

        What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
        you are or people trying not to stare at you?

      • pierre jefferson
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4 6:08 PM
          Soul SIS,

           This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
          can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
          only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
          to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
          It's almost like being inside a body that has
          no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
          or oddity to most people who may find your
          mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
          When you appear to look like two races or even
          three races all mixed together its liken to blending
          stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
          So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
          perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
          AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
          serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

          Pierre

          soul sis36 <soulsis36@...> wrote:

          Pierre,

          I understand how you feel about this.
          That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
          They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
          Depend how they feel comfortable or not. color

          pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

          Personally` i would say the annoying
          questions are hearing "What are you?
          Because explaining all the time to them
          "Why your different, and being made to
          feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
          People think everyone should look a certain
          way, and if you don't look like you suppose
          to look then they feel they must correct
          or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
          Being unable to place you into the
          proper BOX` can even anger many
          people who need to fill in the DOTS.
          Mix race people are a threat to the
          visual perceptions of race, because
          society has a grouping system that
          we all belong to willingly or not.

          But on the other hand, some people may look
          away, rather than to acknowledge that you

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4 6:36 PM
            Hi, Mix4evr,

            I also welcome you to the group,

            I Totally agree with you, unless a person is mixed
            themself they can not feel the feelings mixed race
            people feel ` its like explaining to a blind person
            what the color blue looks like. They just don't "Get IT"
            or they don't want to understand or even try.

            Your husband being half Korean has to choose between
            his Korean blood and the other also, we all who have
            mixtures must choose one side over the other? or be
            driven to do so by social pressures.

            Your French Canadian blood certainly has brought
            many towards you with curiosities? instead of
            genuine reasons concerning your mixed heritage.
            Indians and Mexicans see a key connective
            reflection within you!..then you also may and
            do appear Italian to others? ..ect this
            amongst other identities can be so confusing
            not only to them but certainly to you.
            How do you relate to a sea of characteristics
            that claim to be you? i feel your husband has
            less identities to address): but you have far
            more to face, in a world that only see,s the Race
            before seeing the person. How sad that we place
            such limits on each other. But good luck on your
            mixed race marriage, i wish you both much
            happiness.

            Pierre

            mixd4evr <ebaylink1@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

          • killingthemockingbird
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5 3:46 PM
              Hi,

              I'm new to this group...

              Just a conversation starter, do you get people
              not actually believing that you are Mixed?

              I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
              people don't believe that I am either!
              They either think I am Swedish or American...
              Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

              Miranda
            • pierre jefferson
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 5 4:21 PM
                Hi, Miranda

                 Welcome to the group here a Generation-Mixed,
                yes if you were blonde or had blue eyes i could
                see why they think your Swedish? or American,
                but perhaps your features are such you may appear
                to be a skin tanned Swedish person?...but this is
                how people assume things just by looking at
                someone. We all dont fit the standard mold,
                or look the way we are suppose to look.

                Pierre

                killingthemockingbird <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:
                Hi,

                I'm new to this group...

                Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                people don't believe that I am either!
                They either think I am Swedish or American...
                Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                Miranda

              • chris everett
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 5 4:25 PM
                  I used to, but not anymore, people would always argue
                  that i'm hispanic, or they would whisper (terribly
                  loud, that i was spanish or italian of some kind),
                  nowadays, unless I tell someone I'm Mixed, I can make them believe
                  i'm hispanic, but i never really had the urge to pretend to be
                  hispanic, so, not really...I think i strayed from the question..

                  yes, but not like it used to be

                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5 4:26 PM
                    Hi Miranda,

                    Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. :)
                    Have a good evening. Take Care. God bless you.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 5 4:38 PM
                      Pierre,

                      I agree with you. You are right.
                      Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
                      experience, history, culture, and many more.
                      Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
                      feelings or share with that.
                      It is hard to show the express toward
                      feeling to families, friends, etc.
                      Depend what the person can accept or not.
                      It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

                      soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

[...]

                    • Your Highness The Queen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 5 10:50 PM
                        Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

                        Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
                        on the subject of race and I've heard a few
                        too many arguments or discussions among others
                        concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
                        do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

                        I would rather be asked or included in
                        the conversation, which is a perfect
                        seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

                        Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
                        I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
                        about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
                        appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
                        me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

                        I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
                        wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
                        When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
                        response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
                        that is not a part of California's population.

                        There used to be a thing we would say to the
                        starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
                        Alas, there are now too many people out there
                        carrying around cameras. Those people are even
                        worse, the strangers who just snap photos
                        without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
                        That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 6 12:52 AM
                          Thanks for the great welcome!
                        • mulatta_loca
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 6 1:51 PM
                            Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
                            A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
                            ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
                            actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
                            Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                            "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

                            Hi,

                            I'm new to this group...

                            Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                            not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                            I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                            people don't believe that I am either!
                            They either think I am Swedish or American...
                            Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                            Miranda
                          • Va Murimi
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 7 9:56 PM
                              I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
                              in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
                              I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
                              I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
                              were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
                              My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
                              was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
                              LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
                              going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
                              Frank Farmer
                              Toronto

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 8 8:18 AM
                                My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                                and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                                around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                                fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 9 10:25 AM
                                  Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                                  My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                                  descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                                  I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                                  but French is not my first language. As far
                                  as my religion, that's more problematic.
                                  I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                                  humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                                  My French family has learned to accept
                                  that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                                  because we aren't going to have any kids.
                                  Franklin Farmer
                                  Toronto

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 10 2:40 PM
                                    Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                                    where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                                    For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                                    are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                                    which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                                    I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                                    me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                                    approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                                    interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                                    at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.