Re: [Generation-Mixed] Which is worst?

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
      Personally` i would say the annoying questions
      are hearing "What are you? because explaining
      all the time to them " Why your different, and
      being made to feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
      People think everyone should look a certain way,
      and if you don't look like you suppose to look?
      then they feel they must correct or investigate
      why your a puzzle to them. Being unable to place
      you into the proper BOX` can even anger many
      people who need to fill in the DOTS. Mix race people
      are a threat to the visual perceptions of race, because
      society has a grouping system that we all belong
      to willingly or not.

      But on the other hand, some people may look away,
      wrather than to acknowledge that you exist, and
      also feel embarrassed by their own social curiosities
      regarding race.Because if they look at you? they know
      that you know why their looking at you. Because its
      obvious that you are DIFFERENT.

      Personally i feel both behaviors are annoying!
      its all part and parcel of a never ending need
      for us as human beings to judge each other.

      Pierre

      chris everett <talloreo@...> wrote:
      This question just popped into my head,

      I'm pretty sure everyone hear has heard "What are you?"

      But as I thought about it, remember how whenever
      I go anywhere, people tend to stare at me,
      and everynow and then, I hear about
      this from other Multi-racal people.

      So the question is here,

      What's more annoying, people asking you 'What'
      you are or people trying not to stare at you?

    • soul sis36

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi,

          I'm new, just joined.

          This is not a response to you personally but I think it's
          human nature. I have come to notice that people who are
          not Mixed don't get it. They do not understand and some
          just plain don't want to, it's too foreign for them.
          I'm Mixed and so is my husband, he's half Korean and
          has never been to Korea because his relatives just
          don't understand other races or Multi-Racial people.
          I am a Mixed-blood French Canadian and really the only
          ones who seriously check me out are other Indians and
          Mexicans, everyone else assumes I am Italian no offense
          to Italians. I've heard Italian, Puerto Rican, Eskimo.
          It's sort of amusing as long as they're not rude about it!
          So yeah, I've gotten the "what are you" too?

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
                Soul SIS,

                 This is also very true` living as a Mixed-Race person
                can come with a flood of emotional pain, not
                only not fitting in to a group, but always being made
                to feel guilty for being of Mixed heritage.
                It's almost like being inside a body that has
                no right to be here, where you're just a novelty
                or oddity to most people who may find your
                mixture pleasantly or disturbingly amusing.
                When you appear to look like two races or even
                three races all mixed together its liken to blending
                stereotypes together also that people believe to be true.
                So if your half "Black" and half "White` you may be
                perceived as negative and positive at the same time.
                AC-DC, for this alternating current can cause
                serious damage in a hurtful and inhumane way.

                Pierre

                soul sis36 <soulsis36@...> wrote:

                Pierre,

                I understand how you feel about this.
                That's true, I noticed what people act strange or odd behaviors.
                They feel about "mixed race" because it could be hurt or whatever.
                Depend how they feel comfortable or not. color

                pierre jefferson <pierrejefferson2007 @...> wrote:

                Personally` i would say the annoying
                questions are hearing "What are you?
                Because explaining all the time to them
                "Why your different, and being made to
                feel like a alien that doesn't fit in.
                People think everyone should look a certain
                way, and if you don't look like you suppose
                to look then they feel they must correct
                or investigate why your a puzzle to them.
                Being unable to place you into the
                proper BOX` can even anger many
                people who need to fill in the DOTS.
                Mix race people are a threat to the
                visual perceptions of race, because
                society has a grouping system that
                we all belong to willingly or not.

                But on the other hand, some people may look
                away, rather than to acknowledge that you

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Hi, Mix4evr,

                  I also welcome you to the group,

                  I Totally agree with you, unless a person is mixed
                  themself they can not feel the feelings mixed race
                  people feel ` its like explaining to a blind person
                  what the color blue looks like. They just don't "Get IT"
                  or they don't want to understand or even try.

                  Your husband being half Korean has to choose between
                  his Korean blood and the other also, we all who have
                  mixtures must choose one side over the other? or be
                  driven to do so by social pressures.

                  Your French Canadian blood certainly has brought
                  many towards you with curiosities? instead of
                  genuine reasons concerning your mixed heritage.
                  Indians and Mexicans see a key connective
                  reflection within you!..then you also may and
                  do appear Italian to others? ..ect this
                  amongst other identities can be so confusing
                  not only to them but certainly to you.
                  How do you relate to a sea of characteristics
                  that claim to be you? i feel your husband has
                  less identities to address): but you have far
                  more to face, in a world that only see,s the Race
                  before seeing the person. How sad that we place
                  such limits on each other. But good luck on your
                  mixed race marriage, i wish you both much
                  happiness.

                  Pierre

                  mixd4evr <ebaylink1@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

                • killingthemockingbird
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Hi,

                    I'm new to this group...

                    Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                    not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                    I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                    people don't believe that I am either!
                    They either think I am Swedish or American...
                    Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                    Miranda
                  • pierre jefferson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Hi, Miranda

                       Welcome to the group here a Generation-Mixed,
                      yes if you were blonde or had blue eyes i could
                      see why they think your Swedish? or American,
                      but perhaps your features are such you may appear
                      to be a skin tanned Swedish person?...but this is
                      how people assume things just by looking at
                      someone. We all dont fit the standard mold,
                      or look the way we are suppose to look.

                      Pierre

                      killingthemockingbird <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:
                      Hi,

                      I'm new to this group...

                      Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                      not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                      I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                      people don't believe that I am either!
                      They either think I am Swedish or American...
                      Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                      Miranda

                    • chris everett
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                        I used to, but not anymore, people would always argue
                        that i'm hispanic, or they would whisper (terribly
                        loud, that i was spanish or italian of some kind),
                        nowadays, unless I tell someone I'm Mixed, I can make them believe
                        i'm hispanic, but i never really had the urge to pretend to be
                        hispanic, so, not really...I think i strayed from the question..

                        yes, but not like it used to be

                        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Hi Miranda,

                          Welcome to the group! We are glad to have you here. :)
                          Have a good evening. Take Care. God bless you.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Pierre,

                            I agree with you. You are right.
                            Of course, mixed heritage could be feel pain,
                            experience, history, culture, and many more.
                            Hmm, Mixed-Race don't show true
                            feelings or share with that.
                            It is hard to show the express toward
                            feeling to families, friends, etc.
                            Depend what the person can accept or not.
                            It could be negative and it probably not show positive.

                            soul sis36 <soulsis36@yahoo. com> wrote:

[...]

                          • Your Highness The Queen
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
                              Greetings & welcome to the group Miranda,

                              Yes, I hear all kinds of various assumptions
                              on the subject of race and I've heard a few
                              too many arguments or discussions among others
                              concerning my heritage. The kind of people who
                              do that within my earshot are even more annoying.

                              I would rather be asked or included in
                              the conversation, which is a perfect
                              seg to my answer to "Which is worse?"

                              Staring is the worse thing in my opinion. For one thing,
                              I cannot assume why a person is staring. It could be
                              about my mix because I am definitely unique in my
                              appearance. But it could be other things & that creeps
                              me out when a person just stares and doesn't speak.

                              I also think it's funny/amusing when someone actually
                              wondering what ethnicity I am asks me where I am from.
                              When I say California, I consider it is also an amusing
                              response because I wonder if there is any ethnic group
                              that is not a part of California's population.

                              There used to be a thing we would say to the
                              starers. "Take a picture, it'll last longer!"
                              Alas, there are now too many people out there
                              carrying around cameras. Those people are even
                              worse, the strangers who just snap photos
                              without asking, as if I should have paparazzi.
                              That my friends is what I call ultimate rude.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                Thanks for the great welcome!
                              • mulatta_loca
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  Yes, I've had this happen to me many, many times.
                                  A person will get it into their head that I'm a certain race or
                                  ethnicity and when I tell them that I am not that, they will
                                  actually argue w/me about it, and say things like, "Are you sure?
                                  Because you really look_______whatever, fill in the blank."

                                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                                  "killingthemockingbird" <cactus_kiwi_pear@...> wrote:

                                  Hi,

                                  I'm new to this group...

                                  Just a conversation starter, do you get people
                                  not actually believing that you are Mixed?

                                  I'm half New Zealand and half Malaysian, and
                                  people don't believe that I am either!
                                  They either think I am Swedish or American...
                                  Which is weird, since I don't have blonde hair!

                                  Miranda
                                • Va Murimi
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 7, 2007
                                    I recently married a Quebecoise and spent our Thanksgiving
                                    in Quebec with her, French speaking only, family.
                                    I speak some French, but am not fluent. It was not easy for me.
                                    I am Tri-Racial, and the only questions from my aunts and uncles
                                    were "Why didn't I speak better French?, and "Was I Catholic?"
                                    My first wife is a White American, and 45 years ago, it
                                    was a different situation, my religion was not at issue.
                                    LOL. My French has improved because we're going to be
                                    going to Quebec for Xmas and no I'm not Catholic.
                                    Frank Farmer
                                    Toronto

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 8, 2007
                                      My situation is similar. I'm multiracial: Black/White/Latina
                                      and my husband is Mexican. We've been together off and on for
                                      around 10 yrs, and my lack of Spanish fluency as well as the
                                      fact that I'm not a practicing Catholic have been big issues.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 9, 2007
                                        Here in Canada, particularly Quebec, language IS race.
                                        My wife's family are "pur ligne" (pure line) or
                                        descended from the original settlers who came in 1660.
                                        I can speak enough to carry on a social conversation,
                                        but French is not my first language. As far
                                        as my religion, that's more problematic.
                                        I am an non observant Quaker and a secular
                                        humanist. That upsets my black family ...
                                        My French family has learned to accept
                                        that I'm not Catholic, it is less important
                                        because we aren't going to have any kids.
                                        Franklin Farmer
                                        Toronto

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
                                          Yeah, it's a similar situation along the US/Mexico border,
                                          where I live. To a large extent, Language = Race.
                                          For instance, people of Mexican descent who don't speak Spanish
                                          are sometimes viewed as being not really Mexican or "pocho,"
                                          which loosely translated means "watered down," or assimilated.
                                          I have noticed though that my husband's family has eased up on
                                          me somewhat in the last year. I think this is b/c I'm now
                                          approaching my mid-thirties and have not expressed any
                                          interest in child-bearing. Hence, they're probably relieved
                                          at the thought that my unacceptable ways will die with me.