Poem - Shades of Gray

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2007

      SHADES of GRAY

      One day God decided
      to take away the difference of Race`
      And He made everyone the same`
      even to the features on their face,

      He took away their skin Colors
      turning them the same shades of Gray,
      not even Black or White
      just a sea of Shadows walking in the day,

      Then He took away the Different Colors of their eyes`
      and the Different Textures of their hair,
      Removing their individuality
      as their scalps became bald and bare,

      Then He made them the same Height`
      and gave them all the same Voice`
      thinking with the same Minds
      then took away the Gift of Choice,

      And then God stood back and took a
      good look at their disappointing fate`
      and said “Now you’re all the same`
      can you tell now which one to hate?

      For now that there is no Difference` surely
      you should be happier than you’ve ever been,
      for all I see is a picture of Death`
      and Affliction almost as great as Sin,

      Because originally I made you Perfect`
      each in your own individually-created way,
      I just wanted to let you see how life would be`
      living as shades of Gray, “

      And then the people pleaded to God`
      to give them their colors and races back,
      Red...White...Brown...and Yellow
      and the ebony shades of BLACK.

      And then God flung them their Features`
      and they reached for them like a child`
      with a smile on their face,
      And then all the other gifts
      radiated back upon their bodies`
      with the speed of amazing Grace,

      Then after all that was done`
      there was still one thing missing
      -- like the flowers from a vase,
      it was God’s beautiful Rainbow of Colors`
      that once belonged
      to the Human Race

      Then Almighty God
      raised His hands in the Heavens`