Poem - Ebony and Ivory

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2007

      EBONY and IVORY

      I fell in love with someone
      of a different race
      seeing loving expressions
      on a different face,

      I fell in love with someone white`
      who has brought sunshine into my night,
      now I'm running my fingers through different hair,
      as people watch me with a different stare,

      Some with cruel behavior
      that I don't understand,
      only because I'm holding on
      to an ivory hand,

      Only because I'm kissing
      forbidden lips,
      I'm made to feel the sting of looks`
      with their lashing whips,

      Every now and then we
      will receive a subtle grin,
      from those who understand
      the Mix that we’re in,

      Some people don't look`
      they just make believe they don't see,
      the beautiful, yet contrasting blend
      of Ebony and Ivory`

      We feel like blacklisted movie stars`
      with no Oscars in our hands,
      under the spotlight with unknown musicians
      playing inside a racist band,

      But yet we still dance to our Music`
      that plays beautiful Scores within our hearts,
      As we embrace inside our forbidden space`
      which could be the Palace of Performing Arts,

      Even though the glaring eyes
      may not applaud the Mix that they see,
      they cannot destroy this Beauty`
      nor forbid it’s right to be,