Poem - BLACK HAIR

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
                       BLACK HAIR

      To have black hair
      is to own a tight friend`
      who will not betray you
      even in the strongest wind,

      Like a weaving nest
      with a firm grip on your head`
      that will not let go
      even when you lay in bed,

      A woolly and coiling design
      that has African roots`
      that weave across
      and between each other`
      like the shoe strings on a boot,

      A far and distant cousin
      to strands of hair that's straight`
      and those who wish to change its nature`
      simply because they can not relate,

      So they treat their black hair with chemicals`
      or others may choose to fry it`
      suffering pains from hair conscious chains,
      above all costs to buy it,

      Sitting in a chair under going the torment
      of heat and fire,
      because living with their tight and loyal friend
      is no longer their desire,

      Yes they will do anything
      and take any measure`
      to alter the texture of their black hair`
      to a luxurious treasure.

      Now they have their hair straight`
      with chemicals soaking in their heads,
      afraid to get a shampoo`
      even more afraid to go to bed,

      Fearing to see the texture growing back
      after all the blood and tears they shed`
      afraid to dive in swimming pools`
      or remove hair rollers from their head,

      Afraid of chemical burns
      or their hair falling out
      even if it meant buying a wig`
      to cover new coiling sprouts,

      Once again they will go under
      the chemical burn`
      to make sure their unwelcome friend
      will not return,

      Would it better to be bald
      than to have a black head of hair?
      denying your true self
      to avoid a disapproving stare,

      Trying to fit into a culture
      that says your hair is bad`
      because the plain Truth is`
      naturally straight hair is
      something you never had,

      We all tend to want things
      that are naturally not our own,
      wearing these culture statements
      that others may not condone,

      For all hair is good`
      especially if you have none,
      for Beauty is in the eye of the beholder`
      even if your head is hairless
      BAKING IN THE SUN.

      Pierre Andre 2007 ©
      All Rights Reserved

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        This is GREAT Pierre...

        I really hope to see your work in an anthology soon :) I would really love to see "Black Hair" read to teenagers, I think it can be supportive for them.

        "Black Hair" could be my autobiography. When I was young, I hated my hair. I grew up in a small town where there was nothing to work with my hair except a binder and some Aqua Net. I would literally spray and spray until my hair was white and would not move! Somehow it always was bustin loose (haha). Then one day, just like you said, my hair started to fall out. Well I have so much hair, so thick hair that it was not a big deal at first. Then more and more and more is just falling out...

        You don't realize how much you love your hair until it is gone. And its not that you love your hair because its better than nothing its beause when you see your face for the first time, bare-- you can see clearly what your hair meant to define who you are, and what your hair did to shape your identity. Losing my hair meant learning how to love me--and to confront the ugly things that I was never meant to believe.

        I think your poem is so powerful, Pierre, because it shows what there is to love--and in such descriptive, colorful words. "Black Hair" inspires people to see their own stories, and to embrace what their hair contributes to their story.

        I am really thankful you shared this. I look forward to reading more of your work.

        Peace & Prayers ~* Lynn

      • pierre jefferson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          You are welcomed Lynn...

          Your story really hit home regarding your struggles
          living in a culture that has rejected black hair`
          from the hair spray and endless binders.`
          I know you must have asked ... WHY? many times
          as you fought the battles like a unending WAR.`

          Actually black hair on men I feel isn't
          as serious a problem` as it is for woman.`
          The girls are really put under the heating iron
          early in life` having their mothers section and plat
          their hair after a ordeal with the family hot comb.`
          But the boys generally are given shaved heads and
          never went to the fire chamber for a beauty treatment.`

          As you said you never realize how much you
          loved your hair until it started to fall out!`
          like seeing flesh falling from your body, leaving a big
          bright balding skull bone for the whole world to see.`

          And the balder you get` the more self conscious you get!`
          even combing hair from the left side of the head
          to the right side to cover it.` And if you hot combed
          your black hair too much` it would become brittle
          like plastic and breaking off to the roots.`

          Yes there are so many ugly words directed at the
          girls or women with a head of war-torn black hair.`
          That's where the wig companies make their money`
          also, for those wigs are like stylish bandanas
          for victims of the black hair back-lash.`

          Of course if black hair is kept natural`
          all these problems would not occur`
          but as you said Lynn` our hair is meant to
          define who we are` its is our crowning glory.`

          Thank you for your comments): I'm glad you liked the poem
          and feel it can send a powerful message to especially
          teenagers who are really beginning to experience
          the social pressures of appearing `acceptable.

          Bald headed people may have no defining
          hair to bring out their faces` actually
          their entire head is part of their face`
          and keeping their scalps clean and moisturized`
          is about the only hairless care they'll ever
          need,` other than arching their eye brows`.

          God Bless

          Pierre