New kids' novel with biracial main character

  • Sundee Frazier
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
      I'm new to this group, but have enjoyed the posts so far.

      My first children's novel (geared to 8-12) came out
      last week, and I thought I'd let the group know
      in case any of you are looking for resources.

      Here's a brief description:

      Like any good scientist, Brendan
      Buckley is full of questions.
      The one thing he knows not to ask about
      is the white grandfather he’s never met.
      But then Brendan discovers him at a local
      rock and mineral show, and all his plans for
      the summer take a back seat to his new mission:
      to find out where Grandpa DeBose has been . . .

      And a few review blurbs:

      Kirkus Reviews (Sept. 15, 2007):
      "Brendan is an appealing character with a
      sense of honor...curiosity and intelligence.
      A good, accessible selection to inspire
      discussion of racism and prejudice."

      School Library Journal (Oct. 2007):
      "This is an absorbing look at a 10-year-old boy ...
      who collides into years of anger and hurt in his
      family and must create a new identity for himself...
      Frazier writes affectingly about what being
      biracial means in 21st-century America."

      The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN):
      "This book portrays real feelings of a real
      bi-racial kid growing up in today's society.
      It's also just a fun read for kids, especially boys..."
      (Bill's Best Books, June 2007)

      Growing up as a child of one black parent, one white,
      I didn’t have books that reflected my family or me.
      More are being written, but the need is still there for
      positive portrayals of healthy interracial families and
      African-American people engaging in non-stereotypical
      activities (such as rock hounding and Tae Kwon Do).
      I believe Brendan’s story provides both and hope
      people of all races and ages will enjoy reading it!

      Sundee

      PS -- I also wrote the book "Check All
      That Apply" (for adults and teens).
      More info available on my web
      site: http://www.sundeefrazier.com
    • mulatta_loca
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
        Brendan Buckley sounds terrific (I read Check All That
        Apply and found it both informative and uplifting).
        There for sure need to be more books with mixed-race protagonists,
        and people-of-color in general, engaged in non-stereotypical
        activities, and just living their lives like all people.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Sundee Frazier <sundeefrazier@...> wrote:

[...]

        BRENDAN BUCKLEY'S UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT
        (Delacorte Press/Random House)
        **Biracial Brendan Buckley builds a secret friendship
        with the white grandpa he's never known.**
        http://www.sundeefrazier.com
        http://classof2k7.com/authors/sundee_t_frazier.php
      • DENISE BAKER
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
          Hi Sundee! Thanks for info!  I completely understand the necessity for books like yours, because just like you, the books I read did not contain characters consisting of different ethnicities such as those found in the household I grew up in.  Now an adult, I am relieved to say that fortunately, my 10 y/o bi-racial son will not know that feeling.  Progress!

          I look forward to reading it with him. Thanks again!

          Sincerely,
          Denise
[...]

          Growing up as a child of one black parent, one white, I didn’t have books that reflected my family or me. More are being written, but the need is still there for positive portrayals of healthy interracial families and "Check All That Apply" (for adults and teens). More info available on my web site: http://www.sundeefrazier.com

          BRENDAN BUCKLEY'S UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT (Delacorte Press/Random House) **Biracial Brendan Buckley builds a secret friendship with the white grandpa he's never known.**
          http://www.sundeefrazier.com
          http://classof2k7.com/authors/sundee_t_frazier.php

        • spirit_shurtugal
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
            Thanks for the information Sundee.

            Its always nice to see more books with
            mixed race people as the main character(s).
            I have heard of your Check All that Apply book and
            its actual on my list to read of the literature
            that I've found on mixed raced people.

            Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything
            in It, sounds like a very interesting book.
            I'll have to get it or check it
            out sometime, even though I'm way
            above the ages its geared towards.

            Jenn

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007

              Hi Sundee,

              Welcome to Gen-Mixed!

              We are so very happy to have you here and to see
              that you have become a part of our community.

              Congratulations to you on the publication of your newest book.

              Having already read '
              Check All That Apply' -- I know that
              you are an excellent author who is able to truly describe
              the experiences shared by so many Mixed-Race people.

              Thus, I can hardly wait to purchase '
              Brendan Buckley's Universe!'
              for all of my friends and family with young children who would
              like to have a book with characters that reflect much of what
              they have experienced in life and how they see the world.

              Thank you for sharing with us about your books and your writings
              -- we are all looking forward to hearing more from and about you.

              Have a wonderful day and 'Welcome' once again.

              -- M

              BRENDAN BUCKLEY'S UNIVERSE
              ------ and Everything in It

              Delacorte Press/Random House, Inc., 2007

              Biracial Brendan Buckley builds a secret friendship
              with the White grandpa he's never known.

              Read more about Brendan Buckley's Universe!

              CHECK ALL THAT APPLY:
              Finding Wholeness as a Multiracial Person

              InterVarsity Press, 2002

              A nonfiction book for Mixed-Race people
              of all ages that presents a message
              of hope and encouragement:
              We have a place in this world.

              Read more about Check All That Apply

                                                    NOTE:

              Gen-Mixies ...  to read more about our fellow member
              -- Sundee Frazier (and her writings), take a visit to

              her web site at http://sundeefrazier.com

            • rebelwriter2001
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
                Congrats, Sundee!

                I wish you the very best of luck on your new book :)

                I'm a fellow Random House author, and my own young adult
                novel, WHAT I MEANT... just came out end of July.
                It also features a bi-racial character (half-Asian Indian,
                and half Italian American) in a mainstream story.

                These days I'm doing signings, and I can't tell you how
                gratifying it is to have kids from different backgrounds saying
                to me "I'm so glad somebody is writing about people like me."
                My own kids are biracial too, so I really
                understand how important this is.

                So congrats, and know that you are not only entertaining kids,
                but also doing something important for them as well!

                Best,
                Marie Lamba

                www.marielamba.com
                WHAT I MEANT... (Random House)
                "an impressive debut" Publisher's Weekly

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
                  Hi Marie,

                  Congratulations on the publication of your new novel!

                  Thank you for sharing your good news with all of us at Gen-Mixed!

                  Fellow Gen-Mixes, listed below is more information on 'What I Meant'.

                  -- M

                  What I Meant...
                  young adult novel by Marie Lamba
                  Random House Books for Young Readers

                  Fifteen-year-old Sangeet Jumnal is crazy
                  about a guy, but her dad, who is from India,
                  won't let her date until she's sixteen,
                  maybe.
                  And her mom, who is American and usually
                  sticks up for Sang, suddenly thinks her
                  daughter is a liar, a thief and a bulimic.
                  Sang knows why.
                  An aunt who has been living with them for the
                  past few months has been stealing food and
                  money, and setting up Sang to take the blame.
                  Now Sang must find a way to prove her innocence
                  and make her parents see her for who she
                  really is, someone who is pretty dependable,
                  relatively honest, and totally ready to date.

                  ** Read an Excerpt of
                  What I Meant...
                  click here!

                  ** Listen to Marie discuss What I Meant... in an
                  audio interview with Penelope M. Carrington of
                  The Richmond Times-Dispatch by
                  clicking here!

                  To order through click here! or click here!

                  Source: http://www.MarieLambda.com

                  to her web site at http://www.sundeefrazier.com

[...]

                • Marie Lamba
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007

                    Hi all!

                    Thanks so much for including all this info and the links too!  You guys rock.

                    Ooops! I just noticed my website address is listed wrong.
                    It's actually www.marielamba.com (there's no "d").

                    Thanks.

                    Marie :)

                    To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                    From: soaptalk@...
                    Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:13:10 +0000
                    Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: New kids' novel with biracial main character

                    Hi Marie,

                    Congratulations on the publication of your new novel!

                    Thank you for sharing your good news with all of us at Gen-Mixed!

                    Fellow Gen-Mixies, listed below is more information on 'What I Meant'.

                  • chris everett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Sounds good, although I enjoy books,
                      I've always wondered if there would be