Blink

  • Ian Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2007
      Interesting book.

      Malcolm Gladwell's new book "Blink:
      the Power of Thinking Without Thinking"
      has a lot interesting theories on unconscious
      racial assumptions that people make on a daily basis.

      I know the book sounds like a self help book but it's not.

      I won't do the book any justice in
      this post but it's worth checking out.

      A lot of the research he sites confirms what
      people have said before about everyone being racist
      that we can't help it growing up in a racist society.

      I always hated when I'd hear this - thinking that these people
      obviously never met me - I wasn't a racist - that I couldn't be
      - but his book has made me re-evaluate my opinion (and myself) -
      especially his section on the Implicit Association Test (IAT).

      The IAT is really eye opening.
      You can take the test on the net here https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

      I'd love to hear anyone's views on this
      test - especially the race version.

      Anyway, just a tip about an interesting book.

      Ian