Re: New To Group

  • rolyan7
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2007
      You are Mixed-Race. In Latin America and Caribbean we
      use the terminology of "Creole" to describe our proud
      heritage. Some countries use "Mulatto" to mean both
      parents Mixed or one Black and one White. In America,
      especially Louisiana that terminology is more used.
      One LUV

      "Lady L" <mochaladyj@...> wrote:

      Hello everyone.

      Call me Lady Light (my pen name) or Lady L.

      I've been fighting with years of confusion and
      frustration about my Multi-racial heritage.

      I know I have Native American, White, and Black
      (unsure of African descent since most of my
      Black ancestors were never slaves but free men)
      on both side as well as Japanese on my mum side.

      All of my grandparents were either
      Tri-racial or Multi-racial themselves
      which makes me 3rd generation Multi-Racial.

      Unfortunately, I don't have the proof or
      enough percentage to claim any particular
      racial group especially with my Native
      American heritage since I came from a family
      who never talked about their Mixed heritage.
      It was very taboo for my parents to
      ask about their heritage when they
      were growing up during those days.
      So my parents felt it was best not to find out
      or discuss our beautiful heritage with us kids,
      which caused me to grow up feeling like an
      orphan who is involuntarily denied ever knowing
      the rich history and culture of her ancestors.
      Growing up I had the Black race telling me I'm
      not "black" enough and the White race telling
      me I'm too "black" to be anything else.
      And it didn't help much that I didn't have
      an accent of any race on the planet since
      I grew up around people all over the world.

      I have come to believe that it was God's
      divine will to have me not know my heritage
      because I can feel a connection with everyone.
      There is not racial line in my blood.
      I can love everyone for who they
      are and where they come from.
      I have love for the human race.

      Also, I'm glad to be married to a
      Multi-racial man of Spaniard / Italian
      / Apache / Mexican / Indian descent.

      I don't have to pretend to be anyone but myself.

      I look forward to getting to know you guys more.

      Sincerely,
      Lady Light
    • Micah
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2007
        Hi Lady L! Welcome to the group.
        It seems that we share mostly the same ancestry.
        I hope that you will like it here and be
        able to find other who you can relate to.

        Micah

      • kier22_2
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2007
          Hello Lady L,

          And welcome!

          Do you know the wonderful thing about being YOU?
          YOU can classify yourself how ever you want to.

          I know it can be hard because I was
          never 'black enough growing up either.
          That led me to a few fights growing up
          & I still sometimes get into debates
          (arguments) about how I classify myself.

          But YOU, Lady L are free to call
          yourself what ever you want.
          And no one has the right to tell you otherwise.

          You do not have to classify your heritage by what
          country you live in or by how others see you...

          Have a wonderful day!

          K.

          <rolyan7@...> wrote

          "Lady L" <mochaladyj@> wrote:

[...]

        • mulatta_loca
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2007
            Amen to that, Kier!
            We all have the right to classify
            ourselves in whatever manner we choose.

            "Lady L" <mochaladyj@> wrote:

[...]

          • Lady L
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2007
              Howdy Y'all From TX,

              Thanks for the warm welcome and for the
              beautiful words that poured from your hearts.
              It's such a blessing to have joined this group.
              To feel such love and acceptance has me
              almost speechless which says a lot since
              I'm known to talk people's ears off...LOL
              I look forward to getting to you better.

              BTW Yvette, I have relatives from
              both side who live in Chicago.
              In fact, three of my siblings were born
              in Chicago--I believe in Cook Country.
              As for me, the last time I visited there was in 1998
              which is a long story I try not to talk about...LOL

              Well, I hope everyone has a peaceful day today!
              And my heart and prayers go out to those who
              are trying to get through this particular day.

              God bless,
              Lady Light

              pierre jefferson<pierrejefferson2007@...> wrote:

              Greetings Lady Light,

              You are not alone in your culture tug of war`
              trying to cling your racial heritage while
              trying to blend end other cultures
              can prove impossible at times.

              Being Multi-racial has been a difficult road
              for you to tread I'm sure, with the bridges
              and valleys always challenging you
              to go forward or back away from
              unpredictable racial encounters at times.

              Black society will question your speech if
              there's too little "blackness" verbalized`
              and your appearance must reflect this
              "blackness" to a degree, and other racial
              stereotypes true or false are expected of
              you to be a "faithful" member of the group.

              White society will also question your speech`
              rejecting these ethnic pronunciations
              as illiterate and unacceptable,
              Physical characteristics also play a major
              role in how they perceive you as well.
              When you look a certain way` people automatically
              expect you to behave or act in a certain way.

              Mixed race people sometimes have to
              wear their identities like change
              of clothing to fit in with these
              social groups at any given moment.

              How can you "identify" with `one'
              group with out becoming a "traitor"
              or "sell" out to the other?
              There is no in between when it comes
              to claiming 'a' part of your "identity",
              for `every' part you deny or try
              to mask may magnify the problem.

              You are truly blessed to be able to
              accept people for who they are`

[...]