Re: Just saying hi!

  • ashley smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
      I'm just saying 'hi', too.

      I joined a couple of weeks ago.

      This is a pretty active group
      and I've been trying to keep up.

      Is there a central place that I can follow
      threads more easily than reading each e-mail?
      In my family there is American Indian,
      European-American, and Afro-American.
      I've experienced a lot myself and with
      my child as he experiences things.

      I see a lot of posts about ignorant
      and racist comments we get socially,
      but I haven't seen anything about
      the politics within our families.

      I know that, in mine, the lightest children
      (me) have been treated very differently
      than the darkest children (my sister).
      One time, at about 12 years old, asked my mother why
      my sister was darker, and received an evasive answer
      (we were not raised in the same region that my mom's
      family was in to see the shades that her family were).

      Another issue is dating - who do we date?

      call me Ashley, for now

      "Edwards, Lisa" <lisa.edwards@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      My name is Lisa Edwards and I
      joined the group about a month ago.
      I’ve enjoyed reading about others’
      perspectives and shared experiences.

      I identify as biracial—my mother is Latina and my father
      is White—and I currently live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
      I teach in the Dept. of Counseling & Educational
      Psychology at Marquette and my research interests
      include multiracial identity and Latino/a well-being.

      I attended the Loving Decision Conference
      in Chicago and had a wonderful time.
      It was such a positive, affirming environment!
      I hope others were able to celebrate the day.

      I’m writing to invite you to be a part
      of a study that my colleague and I are
      completing about multiracial identity.
      We really want to contribute to the literature
      by doing research that includes participants
      from all geographic regions and backgrounds.
      The details are included below, but feel
      free to email if you have any questions.
      Thanks in advance for your time!
      -Lisa
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
      Dear Friends & Colleagues,

      You are invited to complete a brief on-line survey about
      multiracial identity and well-being conducted by Dr. Jennifer
      Teramoto Pedrotti at California Polytechnic state University,
      San Luis Obispo, and Dr. Lisa Edwards, Marquette University.

      This research study is being conducted to gain more information
      about the experience of people who are biracial or multiracial.
      You are eligible to participate if you are over 18 years of age
      and your parents are of different racial/ethnic backgrounds.
      You will be asked to complete an anonymous survey about
      your experiences and attitudes about multiracial identity,
      and this shouldn’t take you more than 15-20 minutes.

      Your responses will be anonymous and there are
      no known risks for participation in this study.
      If you would like to be entered into a drawing
      to receive one of two $50.00 cash prizes, please
      provide your name and address at the end of the survey.
      Your name and address will only be used in the drawing
      and will not be associated with your responses.
      This research study has received Institutional Review Board
      and Human Subjects approval at California Polytechnic State
      University, San Luis Obispo and Marquette University.

      Participants will be entered into a drawing and two
      individuals will be chosen at random to receive $50.00 each!

      If you are interested in participating in
      this study, please go the following website:
      Thank you and let us know if you have any questions.
      Jennifer Teramoto Pedrotti, Ph.D.
      Lisa M. Edwards, Ph.D.

      From:
      Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com
      On Behalf Of
      Micah
      Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:12 AM
      To: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com
      Subject: Re: Just saying hi!

      Hey Kiran!  Good to have you here.

      kiran8654 <kiran8654@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Hey,
      I am new to this group also.
      Hi everybody.
      I am not really sure how this works.
      I dn't know why yahoo has to be so complicated.

      "prettycutetk" <prettycutetk@ ...> wrote:

      Hi my name is Tia. I am new to this group.
      I just wanted to introduce myself and say that
      I think this is a wonderful place for us to vent
      and talk about things that happen to us everyday.
      Have a great week!

    • Keesha Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
        Hello all long time no hear.
        I wanted to ask if anyone out there is an artist.
        I am in the process of starting a new clothing line for those of us
        of multi-cultural origin as well as those who are great seamtress.
        If so please email me back.
        Thanks

        From: