Re: How do I handle being picked on by ignorant people?

  • barac1998@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 6:13 PM
      I agree, live your life.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5 11:54 AM
        Hi, Arlena, and... ~WELCOME!~ Nice to see another, new face here=) I thought it was so cool, seeing you talk about places we either lived or hung out in! We lived in Federal Hill for about a year. Nice neighborhood=) I loved being so close to the Inner Harbor! We also lived in Lakeland (that's where we had a TON of trouble!!!), Baltimore Highlands, Brooklyn (Curtis Bay) and a few, other B'more neighborhoods. We used to hang out in Glen Burnie a lot. I miss places like Lexington Market, Cross Street Market, the Inner Harbor, etc. My son was on the swim team in Cherry Hill, which we really used to like. I think, he really misses that. We also lived in Dundalk, for a while, before we moved back to Howard Co. (named after my son's biological father's side of the family!)/Columbia. We lived in Columbia for the 1st 3 yrs. of my son's life, as well as a year... before we moved here. We definitely miss the conveniences of "city (or near-city) life!" We don't miss the DRAMA, though-lol=) The world we live in is getting to be such a MISERABLE place- it makes you wonder if there will ever be a place we'll be able to live, where all people will get along?! Anyhow... nice to have you here! I was thinking... when you mentioned the girls/guy taking pics, pointing, staring, etc... maybe the girls were just plain JEALOUS!!!!!!! The guy- just another "I'm entitled to the world" JERK! Those kind of guys come in every color of the rainbow... BELIEVE ME=) My friend, Keisha, and I have this saying about B'more guys- and we're usually not referring to just caucasian guys, either-lolol=) I think it's a geography thing! That, AND IGNORANCE! Take care=) Have a great day! Heather
      • spirit_shurtugal
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6 8:49 AM
          I'm afraid people are just ignorant and uneducated.
          As far as doing something about it there not much
          other then just ignoring it or you could correct them.
          If they call you Black you could say I'm a Creole
          or Mixed-Raced -- whatever you feel like saying.
          I imagine that depending on where
          you live it will be easier or harder.

          As far as the girls get jealous that this
          guy was dancing with you girls can get
          jealous over any man whatever his color.
          If they think the girl the guy is dancing
          with is below their standards.

          Jenn

          "Arlena" <nativecreole21@...>wrote:

          I am Creole.. of the French Haitian decent and
          my grandfather was 1/2 Irish which makes me 1/4.

          Every single time I am out with my friends, there
          is always ONE person that has a problem with me.
          I don't even have to do anything to them.

          Once I actually went to this club/bar in Pasadena, MD and
          I had this group of girls point at me, took a picture of
          my butt, then started following my friends and I around.

          Then, about a week ago (Federal Hill in Baltimore,
          MD), I was out with my roomie and a buddy of mine.
          It's important to mention the guy was the
          equivalent of the White all-American and
          looking at me people would assume I'm Black.
          This girl was upset that he wouldn't dance with
          her and he began dancing with me and she went
          to all of her friends in the distance ... then
          proceeded to point and stare the entire time.
          There was this black guy standing next to us giving us
          the evil eye while he was dancing with another girl!!
          He was so upset by it, he just said
          he couldn't deal with it and he left.
          For goodness sake he had just completed a
          tour in Iraq and had to come back to this??

          A couple of days ago (Glen Burnie, MD), we
          were all out celebrating my friend's birthday.
          As soon as I walked in, this girl looks
          at me, turns to her friend and said,
          "look at this black girl that just walked in",
          her friend gave me a dirty look and they walked away.
          When we were standing next to the
          bar ordering the bday girl a drink,
          apparently one of the guys standing next to us
          said something about me that one of the girls didn't
          like, so they began bumping into me the ENTIRE night.

          Because of the neighborhood I live in,
          a good majority of my friends are White.

          Since people are ignorant to
          Ethnicity, they assume I'm Black.

          I am constantly harrassed and am looking
          for some solutions to solve this problem.