Re: [Generation-Mixed] How do I handle being picked on by ignorant people?

  • barac1998@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      It is interesting.
      I have gotten that most of my life.
      I'm Creole of Louisianan descent.
      I know I have some French blood.
      I look at my self as "black" as do all my family members.
      I'm not sure if you are from Haiti yourself?
      I know growing up in America people see "black" people.
      There isn't a great awareness that there are
      different cultures among "blacks" in America.
      Know how you are viewed, and educate people on who you are.
      People will never know and many will never
      care, but educating them will be of
      service to them as well as to yourself

      Peter

    • morrison_tl
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hi there.
        I am biracial (white mom/black dad), plus my sister and
        I are tall, so you can imagine the types of stares
        we got (and still get) when going out as a family.
        I used to get comments all of the time when I was hanging out
        with white friends and was the only brown person in the room.
        My sister is engaged to a white man and she is
        taller than him - they get comments all of the time.
        This is going to sound really simplistic, but
        you can't give these situations so much energy.
        It's not worth it to keep thinking about other
        people's ignorance, replaying things in your mind,
        trying to think about how to "fix" things.
        All you can do is live your life.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "Arlena" <nativecreole21@...> wrote:

        I am Creole.. of the French Haitian decent and
        my grandfather was 1/2 Irish which makes me 1/4.

        Every single time I am out with my friends, there
        is always ONE person that has a problem with me.
        I don't even have to do anything to them.

        Once I actually went to this club/bar in Pasadena, MD and
        I had this group of girls point at me, took a picture of
        my butt, then started following my friends and I around.

        Then, about a week ago (Federal Hill in Baltimore,
        MD), I was out with my roomie and a buddy of mine.
        It's important to mention the guy was the
        equivalent of the White all-American and
        looking at me people would assume I'm Black.
        This girl was upset that he wouldn't dance with
        her and he began dancing with me and she went
        to all of her friends in the distance ... then
        proceeded to point and stare the entire time.
        There was this black guy standing next to us giving us
        the evil eye while he was dancing with another girl!!
        He was so upset by it, he just said
        he couldn't deal with it and he left.
        For goodness sake he had just completed a
        tour in Iraq and had to come back to this??

        A couple of days ago (Glen Burnie, MD), we
        were all out celebrating my friend's birthday.
        As soon as I walked in, this girl looks
        at me, turns to her friend and said,
        "look at this black girl that just walked in",
        her friend gave me a dirty look and they walked away.
        When we were standing next to the
        bar ordering the bday girl a drink,
        apparently one of the guys standing next to us
        said something about me that one of the girls didn't
        like, so they began bumping into me the ENTIRE night.

        Because of the neighborhood I live in,
        a good majority of my friends are White.

        Since people are ignorant to
        Ethnicity, they assume I'm Black.

        I am constantly harrassed and am looking
        for some solutions to solve this problem.
      • barac1998@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
          I agree, live your life.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            Hi, Arlena, and... ~WELCOME!~ Nice to see another, new face here=) I thought it was so cool, seeing you talk about places we either lived or hung out in! We lived in Federal Hill for about a year. Nice neighborhood=) I loved being so close to the Inner Harbor! We also lived in Lakeland (that's where we had a TON of trouble!!!), Baltimore Highlands, Brooklyn (Curtis Bay) and a few, other B'more neighborhoods. We used to hang out in Glen Burnie a lot. I miss places like Lexington Market, Cross Street Market, the Inner Harbor, etc. My son was on the swim team in Cherry Hill, which we really used to like. I think, he really misses that. We also lived in Dundalk, for a while, before we moved back to Howard Co. (named after my son's biological father's side of the family!)/Columbia. We lived in Columbia for the 1st 3 yrs. of my son's life, as well as a year... before we moved here. We definitely miss the conveniences of "city (or near-city) life!" We don't miss the DRAMA, though-lol=) The world we live in is getting to be such a MISERABLE place- it makes you wonder if there will ever be a place we'll be able to live, where all people will get along?! Anyhow... nice to have you here! I was thinking... when you mentioned the girls/guy taking pics, pointing, staring, etc... maybe the girls were just plain JEALOUS!!!!!!! The guy- just another "I'm entitled to the world" JERK! Those kind of guys come in every color of the rainbow... BELIEVE ME=) My friend, Keisha, and I have this saying about B'more guys- and we're usually not referring to just caucasian guys, either-lolol=) I think it's a geography thing! That, AND IGNORANCE! Take care=) Have a great day! Heather
          • spirit_shurtugal
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
              I'm afraid people are just ignorant and uneducated.
              As far as doing something about it there not much
              other then just ignoring it or you could correct them.
              If they call you Black you could say I'm a Creole
              or Mixed-Raced -- whatever you feel like saying.
              I imagine that depending on where
              you live it will be easier or harder.

              As far as the girls get jealous that this
              guy was dancing with you girls can get
              jealous over any man whatever his color.
              If they think the girl the guy is dancing
              with is below their standards.

              Jenn