Re: Just saying hi!/Mariah, Micah and Tia=)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      ~~~Welcome, ~~~ Mariah, Micah and Tia=) Nice to see some new members! My name is Heather (white, native american) and I have a soon-to-be 15-yr. old son, Alex (white, black, native american). We, too, face a lot of "ignorance," regarding "who" we are and the way we look. I am very fair-skinned (with red hair-lol=), so most people consider me white.
       As for Alex... he's a lot darker than I am (but, despite skin color, we do look a lot alike!). Strange, because... most white people call him black and black people, either, consider him black or mixed, or whatever they feel like that day!? As for what everyone else thinks, that's on them. Over the years, I've grown a very thick skin when it comes to what other people think! I think, you have to (if you want to remain halfway sane, anyway-lol!!!).
       The whole thing is disturbing, but the way this world, and the people in it, think. It is obviously frustrating. My theory is... people who cannot or will not accept us, based on something as superficial as skin color (ethnicity, religion, etc.), are not really worthy of my time, or concern, in the first place=) I have far too many REAL LIFE issues to deal with, without worrying about people who care about the unimportant things in life!
       Glad to have you, all, here=) This is a great group, with nice people and some very good opinions/views. You'll really like it here!!!
       Have a super day! Heather
    • Micah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hi Heather!

        I would have to say that your son and I are in the same boat, because I get those same things from people. You are absolutely right that they should just be ignored and are not worth our time.  I have even had black people come out of the blue and make comments like "You're still black", especially if I am in a group and someone asks the famous question "Where are you from?" I don't know why they say that, but maybe it's because they think I am thinking that I am better by being proud of my heritage? Not sure.  I've also had white people say, "You're black" out of the blue as well. Most people I find say that, because they are indirectly asking me the race question and may not want to offend me.  Some may just want to "categorize" like so many other tend to try to do.  I am sure your son will get those same things too, if he has not already experienced them.  I am glad to see that he has a strong parent, like yourself, to teach him to be proud of who he is and where he comes from and not to worry about what "society" thinks or says.

        Have a good day!

        Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:
[...]

        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.