Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

      I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
      People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
      I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
      Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
      it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
      It can be tiring "educating" people...
      especially people who could really care less!
      It's something that needs to be done, though.
      Have a great day! Heather
    • kier22_2
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
        Do it! get your teeshirt made.
        It does it tiring (lol) after a
        while having to explain yourself.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "eekmod" <eekmod@...> wrote:

        When people call me for phone surveys,
        they always ask for my race and I always
        say, "Mixed," which confounds them.
        There's no box to check!
        For some reason, these surveyors
        don't even have an "other" box.
        I always pick according to my mood of the
        day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

        People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
        These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
        think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
        of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

        I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
        says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
          On 'Self-Definition'

          When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
          who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
          `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
          they have encountered – rather than out of some
          personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
          "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
          some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

          These conclusions are as follows:

          ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
          Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
          IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
          "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

          ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
          Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
          as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
          facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
          of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

          ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
          heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
          your ancestors went through (against their volition)
          and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
          order to pave the way for you to exist.

          ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
          (such as
          Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
          (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
          Multiracially-Mixed -–
          MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
          via their Parentage (such as people who are of
          First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
          parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
          many of the members of the group that today is generally
          referred to as
          'African-American ') ------- and that all
          of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
          `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
          and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
          and championing of proud and strong people'.

          ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
          are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
          or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
          the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
          – as
          does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
          features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

          *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
          the God-given right to choose their own individual
          `identity'
          with which they feel most comfortable --
          as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
          embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
          empowering than if the whole world also decided
          to affirm what one already knows to be true.

          Just a thought. ;;)

          Have a great day. :)

          Related Links:

          http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                      -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
        • Connie Ware-Berg
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

            I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
              Hi Connie,

              Thank you so much for you memo!!

              Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
              that you would like (and
              I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

              [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
              the
              'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
              'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
              re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

              -- and also the
              'Contact'  information to my email address (just
              in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
              posting
              ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
              ]

              Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
              happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

              Have a wonderful day -- and continue
              to always 'stay true' to who you are!

              -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

              Composed and Posted by