Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

  • eekmod
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 15, 2007
      When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
      I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
      For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
      I always pick according to my mood of the
      day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

      People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
      These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
      think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
      of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

      I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
      says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

        I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
        People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
        I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
        Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
        it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
        It can be tiring "educating" people...
        especially people who could really care less!
        It's something that needs to be done, though.
        Have a great day! Heather
      • kier22_2
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
          Do it! get your teeshirt made.
          It does it tiring (lol) after a
          while having to explain yourself.

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
            On 'Self-Definition'

            When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
            who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
            `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
            they have encountered – rather than out of some
            personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
            "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
            some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

            These conclusions are as follows:

            ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
            Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
            IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
            "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

            ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
            Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
            as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
            facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
            of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

            ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
            heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
            your ancestors went through (against their volition)
            and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
            order to pave the way for you to exist.

            ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
            (such as
            Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
            (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
            Multiracially-Mixed -–
            MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
            via their Parentage (such as people who are of
            First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
            parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
            many of the members of the group that today is generally
            referred to as
            'African-American ') ------- and that all
            of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
            `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
            and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
            and championing of proud and strong people'.

            ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
            are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
            or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
            the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
            – as
            does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
            features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

            *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
            the God-given right to choose their own individual
            `identity'
            with which they feel most comfortable --
            as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
            embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
            empowering than if the whole world also decided
            to affirm what one already knows to be true.

            Just a thought. ;;)

            Have a great day. :)

            Related Links:

            http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                        -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
          • Connie Ware-Berg
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

              I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                Hi Connie,

                Thank you so much for you memo!!

                Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                that you would like (and
                I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                the
                'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                -- and also the
                'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                posting
                ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                ]

                Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                Composed and Posted by