Re: Mexico and Mixed Society

  • mulatta_loca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2007
      LOL! My BA is in sociology too, and I had
      similar conversations with my professors.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

      I am a sociology major and I will never
      forget this "lesson" a teacher had planned...
      There was this whole essay, written by some intellectual
      with a six letter title to his name, talking about how
      sociology students get to college, read about struggles in
      society and get so depressed they just want to give up...
      And how do you get students to stay in
      college and want to study these topics?
      I was the only one who said anything to the teacher...
      I told the teacher I don't understand how
      any of this can be new to a person living
      in the real world, people struggle everyday.
      I told the teacher that my family had struggle
      and so it was important for me to be in
      college--to succeed despite it all.
      The teacher looked surprised that I said something
      -- he wasn't sure how to reply other than to say..
      I guess that happens and Maybe we should
      pay attention to other experiences.
      At first I was irritated then I
      had to laugh--it was so surreal.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts
      --nice to hear from everyone :)

      Lynn

      In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:04:22 PM Central
      Standard Time, rosanna_armendariz@... writes:

      Unfortunately, in my opinion, many of these
      sociology and history books are written by
      "intellectuals" who live mostly in their
      heads and have little real connection
      to the groups which they study.