A few examples of the various 'Types' of 'Mixed-Race'

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
      A few examples of the various 'Types' of 'Mixed-Race'

      MULATTO**
      1. of a mixed blood lineage
      2. the offspring of a full-negress by a full-white man
      3. the offspring of a full-white woman by a full-negro

      [Sp. & Pg. = mulato, masc., /
      mulata, fem. / pl., mulattoes]

      MARABOU**
      1. One having five eighths full-negro lineage
      2. the child of a Mulatra/Mulatto and a full-Negro
      3. the offspring of a mulatto and a griffe. [Louisiana]

      GRIFFE**
      1. the offspring of a mulatto and a full-negro
      2. a mulatto [U. S.]
      3. a person of mixed-"negro" and
      American Indian blood lineage
      4. the child of a Marabou & full-Negro

      SACATRA**
      1. the offspring of a Griffe & full-Negro

      QUADROON**
      1. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person
      2. a person considered to be of one-
      quarter full-`negro' blood lineage

      [also quarteron (fr.), quarteroon, quateron,
      cuarteron (sp.)/ quarter=a fourth part]

      MESTEE / MESTIZO**
      1. The offspring of a white person and a quadroon

      [so called in the West Indies / Written also mustee.]

      OCTOROON**
      1. The offspring of a quadroon and a white person
      2. a mestee

      [L. octo eight + -roon, as in quadroon.]

      QUINTROON**
      1. the off-spring of a quadroon and a white
      2. The off-spring of an octoroon and a white person

      [Sp. quinteron)]

      ZAMBO**
      1. the child of a full-negro and an American Indian
      2. sometimes, the offspring of a
      full-negro person and a mulatto
      3. comprised of one-half American Indian
      and full-negro mixed blood lineage

      [Sp. zambo bandy-legged]
      (in the United States considered to be an
      offensive appellation for one who has any
      amount or part "negro" blood lineage)

      DEFINITIONS OF OTHER RACES

      NEGRO
      ---one whose ancestral origins is *solely*
      (or going back at least 6 generations) that of
      the race of black (or very dark) persons who
      BOTH inhabit the greater part of tropical Africa,
      AND are distinguished by tightly curly hair,
      flat noses, and full protruding lips;

      WHITE (current definition/description/ perception)
      -- one whose ancestral origins
      (going back at least 6 generations)
      has been is found to be solely that
      of any of the original peoples of
      Europe, North Africa, or Middle East.

      (Related link: http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/code_noir.htm)

      Here is an interesting set of commentary
      pertaining to this subject matter:

      http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/code_noir.htm

      [Note: Personally – I do not agree with much of A.D.
      Powell's `political' and other viewpoints, but she
      does make some good argument againsts the
      `measurements' (i.e. "racial admixture" -- amounts,
      percentages, quantums, phenotype results, timing,
      types, etc.) of the infamously racist `one-drop rule (-r).

      You may also want to take a
      ook at the following essays:
      http://archive.blackvoices.com/research/bl...0030129drop.asp
      http://www.pbs.org/newshour/essays/page_5-1.html%5d
      http://www.s-t.com/daily/12-02/12-18-02/a12op061.htm%5d

      [[MGM=MULTI-GENerationally MIXed
      FGM=FIRST-GENerationally MIXed
      MIXed=MULTI-RACIAL Admixture]

      [[ **This information derived from postings from
      `Ty Anderson' who is both the moderator of:
      and a member of:

      ("Man would rather be a little higher than
      the apes, than a little lower than the angels."
      "I am Black & I am White,
      and know there is no difference.

      Related Links:

      Each one casts a shadow,
      and all shadows are dark."
      -Walter White)]]
    • jolisa
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
        I was thinking about the word zambo.

        I've talked to a hispanic man and he said ...
        The word was not possitive or pretty to him...
        I've seen old racist drawings
        of zambos and it is not nice...

        Zambo has different definitions all over the world.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14, 2005
          [[jolisa <jolisaayson@y...> wrote:

          "I was thinking about the word zambo....
          Zambo has different definitions all over the world."]]

          Reply:

          You are most definitely correct on this, Jolisa.

          In fact, the link listed below provides some
          very interesting and detailed on the history,
          usage and perception of the word 'zambo'.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambo

          Thanks for sharing. :)

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 14, 2005
                You make an excellent point, Anna.

                The words are probably quite often confused with each other.

                This may be due to the fact that in some corners of the world
                (for example, various parts of Latin America), the two words
                are, on occasion, used interchangeably – as the word "sambo"
                is apparently 'the derogatory pronunciation' of the word `zambo'
                (as described in data contained in the links listed below).

                Thanks for writing and welcome aboard, by the way! :D

                http://simplestartpage.com/Sambo.html_2313Sa
                http://en.thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/sambo

                http://tafkac.org/language/mixed_race_names.html
                http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/race.htm

                http://en.thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/zambo/

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 14, 2005
                  Hmmmm ... OK now Jeff ... have you been reading or viewing
                  the play called, "O My Pretty Quintroon" (written by Townsend
                  Brewster) -- or are you just becoming really conceited on us? :D

                  Just kidding – lol -- have a great day! :D

                  http://www.doollee.com/PlaywrightsB/BrewsterTownsend.htm

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintroon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 14, 2005
                    Nice title - I thought you were kidding for a sec.

                    No , I'm just conceited ;P

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 14, 2005
                        nice save - I'll use you as my spin doctor

                        You probably meant to say
                        'just conceited ... and cute'

                        :D

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006

[...]

                          1. The offspring of a Quadroon and a Wwhite person
                          2. a mestee

                          [L. octo eight + -roon, as in quadroon.]

                          QUINTROON**
                          1. the off-spring of a Quadroon and a White
                          2. The off-spring of an Octoroon and a White person

                          [Sp. quinteron)]

                          ZAMBO**
                          1. the child of a full-Negro and an American Indian
                          2. sometimes, the offspring of a
                          full-Negro person and a Mulatto
                          3. comprised of one-half American Indian
                          and full-Negro Mixed-Race blood lineage

                          [Sp. zambo bandy-legged]
                          (in the United States considered to be an
                          offensive appellation for one who has any
                          amount or part "negro" blood lineage)

                          DEFINITIONS OF OTHER RACES

                          NEGRO / FULL NEGRO
                          ---one whose ancestral origins is *solely*
                          (or going back at least 6 generations) that of
                          the race of Black (or very dark) persons who
                          BOTH inhabit the greater part of tropical Africa,
                          AND are distinguished by tightly curly hair,
                          flat noses, and full protruding lips;

                          WHITE / FULL WHITE
                          (current definition/description/ perception)
                          -- one whose ancestral origins
                          (going back at least 6 generations)
                          has been is found to be solely that
                          of any of the original peoples of
                          Europe, North Africa, or Middle East.

                          (Related link:
                          http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/code_noir.htm)

                          Here is an interesting set of commentary
                          pertaining to this subject matter:

                          http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/code_noir.htm

                          [Note: Personally – I do not agree with much of A.D.
                          Powell's `political' and other viewpoints  --- BUT
                          she does make some good argument againsts the
                          `measurements' (i.e. "racial admixture" -- amounts,
                          percentages, quantums, phenotype results, timing,
                          types, etc.) of the infamously Racist `One-Drop Rule (-r).

                          You may also want to take a look at the following essays:
                          http://archive.blackvoices.com/research/bl...0030129drop.asp
                          http://www.pbs.org/newshour/essays/page_5-1.html]
                          http://www.s-t.com/daily/12-02/12-18-02/a12op061.htm]

                          [[MGM-Mixed =MULTI-GENerationally-MIXed