Re: Anti-Mestizo politics in Brazil

  • docilechicken24
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 14, 2007
      This is what confuses me.

      The policy is unjust to Mixed race persons ability to 'identify'
      otherwise from Afro-Brazillians, yet it sounds like the reasons
      for doing it are to give them better access to opportunity within
      Brazillian society that they don't really have right now.

      I know in some people in my school went to Rio de Janeiro
      (I am pretty sure that was the city at least)
      and studied affirmative action that is being
      experimented with in colleges cause the colleges
      don't have dark-skinned Mulatto or Blacks in them.

      If the Mulattoes and Blacks aren't united under one banner,
      how could they implement a program like that, that is
      giving them greater access to resources and opportunities.

      I don't think it is a clear cut issues either way.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Rommel Santos <rrcs_law@...> wrote:

      nacaomestica:

      If you laid out the facts right, I must
      say that the racist policy is definitely
      unjust and contrary to human dignity.

      You are probably right questioning the
      current leftist government of Brazil.

      How sad that a country that presents
      itself as a model of racial tolerance takes
      on a path contrary to its good reputation.

      PS:

      I take it you're Brazilian.
      Well, I've been to a Brazilian restaurant
      (which served churasco (did I spell it right?).
      Boy, was it deeeeeeeee-licious! Exotic too.

      Yours,
      Rommel Santos

      nacaomestica@... wrote:

      The Brazilian culture and people traditionally
      recognize Mixed identities, as of the 'Mulatto', the
      'Cafuzo' (Native+Black) and the 'Caboclo' (Native+White).

      However, the current leftist Brazilian government
      (of the 'Party of the Workers' - 'Partido dos
      Trabalhadores', PT) is undertaking a anti-Mestizo politics.

      This politics is specily lead by racial movements
      linked to the party of the president Lula who is
      introducing the 'One Drop Rule' in the country.

      The 'Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro'
      ('Brazilian Mestizo Movement'), or
      'Nação Mestiça' ('Mestizo Nation'),
      was organized to defend the right of the
      'Mestizos' to be identified as 'Mestizos'
      (in Portuguese the word for
      'Multiracial/Ethnic' is 'Mestiço').

      The 'Mestizos' has been excluded of
      the governmental politics and Mestizo
      movement has been suffered persecutions.

      We thank the Multi-Ethnic organizations help
      us denounce this anti-'Mestizo' politics.

      nacaomestica <nacaomestica@...> wrote:

      From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

      EUA
      Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
      casamento inter-racial no país1 de junho de 2007
      A AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans e outras organizações
      mestiças dos EUA estão preparando a Loving Decision Conference.
      A conferência internacional faz parte das comemorações do 40.º
      aniversário da Loving versus Virgínia (1967), a decisão da Suprema
      Corte dos EUA que legalizou o casamento inter-racial nos EUA.
      Informa a AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans que o evento
      visar ser a primeira vez na história dos EUA que estarão reunidos
      casais "inter-raciais", indivíduos "multi-raciais/étnicos" e
      adotados "trans-raciais", além de políticos, educadores/estudantes,
      celebridades, e organizações ativistas representativas de todas as
      comunidades para tratar sobre a mestiçagem nos EUA.
      O Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro foi convidado.
      A Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
      Communities ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
      Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
      Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

      Página Inicial Nosso Fórum / Nuestro
      Foro / Our Forum Hemeroteca.

      As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
      jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
      abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
      raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
      responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
      no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

      Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
      DENUNCIE A POLÍTICA DO GOVERNO BRASILEIRO CONTRA MESTIÇOS
      DENUNCIE LA POLÍTICA DEL GOBIERNO BRASILEÑO CONTRA MESTIZOS
      DENOUNCE THE POLICY OF THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT AGAINST MESTIZOS
      Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro
      Todos os direitos reservados

      www.nacaomestica.org
    • eekmod
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 15, 2007
        When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
        I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
        For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
        I always pick according to my mood of the
        day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

        People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
        These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
        think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
        of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

        I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
        says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

          I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
          People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
          I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
          Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
          it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
          It can be tiring "educating" people...
          especially people who could really care less!
          It's something that needs to be done, though.
          Have a great day! Heather
        • kier22_2
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
            Do it! get your teeshirt made.
            It does it tiring (lol) after a
            while having to explain yourself.

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
              On 'Self-Definition'

              When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
              who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
              `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
              they have encountered – rather than out of some
              personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
              "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
              some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

              These conclusions are as follows:

              ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
              Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
              IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
              "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

              ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
              Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
              as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
              facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
              of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

              ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
              heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
              your ancestors went through (against their volition)
              and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
              order to pave the way for you to exist.

              ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
              (such as
              Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
              (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
              Multiracially-Mixed -–
              MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
              via their Parentage (such as people who are of
              First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
              parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
              many of the members of the group that today is generally
              referred to as
              'African-American ') ------- and that all
              of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
              `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
              and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
              and championing of proud and strong people'.

              ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
              are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
              or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
              the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
              – as
              does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
              features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

              *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
              the God-given right to choose their own individual
              `identity'
              with which they feel most comfortable --
              as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
              embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
              empowering than if the whole world also decided
              to affirm what one already knows to be true.

              Just a thought. ;;)

              Have a great day. :)

              Related Links:

              http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                          -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
            • Connie Ware-Berg
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

                I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                  Hi Connie,

                  Thank you so much for you memo!!

                  Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                  that you would like (and
                  I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                  [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                  the
                  'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                  'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                  re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                  -- and also the
                  'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                  in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                  posting
                  ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                  ]

                  Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                  happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                  Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                  to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                  -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                  Composed and Posted by