Re: Mexico and Mixed Society

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
      I grew up in smalltown Ohio, and didn't see
      a lot of Multicultural activities, either.
      Then, I moved to Baltimore (MD)... where I took
      a job, met my son's father, and later had my son.
      There were a lot of activities for specific Ethnic
      groups, but none, really, for Multicultural groups.

      Then, we moved to WV...where I was certain
      we'd never see anything of that sort,
      but - lo and behold, the 2nd year we
      were here (in this small town we live in),
      I found out about an annual festival that
      had been held here for years ... right
      down the street from us, at the City Park.

      It's called the Multicultural Festival,
      and the entertainment, the vendors, the
      people, the FOOD... it's wonderful=)

      The festival will be held next weekend and will
      be for 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

      Saturday night, there is this AWESOME Latin band me
      and my friends always go to see. It's a TON of fun=)
      The only thing is... we will all be out
      of town that weekend- for an assembly.
      This band (I forget their name???) is pretty good
      - so good that, they even have their own CD out=)
      I'll have to ask my girlfriend their name,
      because she bought their CD, last year.

      They have Native American vendors, that sell hand-carved
      items (out of wood, soapstone, etc.), jewelry and so-forth.
      They have African women that sell the native African
      dresses / clothing. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
      People sell T-shirts and other clothing items,
      paintings (they had this one of 2-Pac last year,
      that was just AMAZING!!!), sculptures, jewelry, hats,
      knick-knacks, etc... and, the food is DELICIOUS=)
      There's a mexican food stand (YUUUUUUM!), and
      Indian food place (DOUBLE YUM=), soul food
      (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm=), homemade ice-cream,
      standard festival/fair fare, etc.

      It is just so much fun.
      My son, friends, family and I look
      forward to going every, single year!
      Just wanted to let everyone know that
      there are some pretty good get-togethers
      out there for us Multicultural people=)

      Sincerely, Heather
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
          I am a sociology major and I will never
        forget this "lesson" a teacher had planned...
        There was this whole essay, written by some intellectual
        with a six letter title to his name, talking about how
        sociology students get to college, read about struggles in
        society and get so depressed they just want to give up...
        And how do you get students to stay in
        college and want to study these topics?
        I was the only one who said anything to the teacher...
        I told the teacher I don't understand how
        any of this can be new to a person living
        in the real world, people struggle everyday.
        I told the teacher that my family had struggle
        and so it was important for me to be in
        college--to succeed despite it all.
        The teacher looked surprised that I said something
        -- he wasn't sure how to reply other than to say..
        I guess that happens and Maybe we should
        pay attention to other experiences.
        At first I was irritated then I
        had to laugh--it was so surreal.
        Thanks for sharing your thoughts
        --nice to hear from everyone :)

        Lynn

        In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:04:22 PM Central
        Standard Time, rosanna_armendariz@... writes:
        Unfortunately, in my opinion, many of these
        sociology and history books are written by
        "intellectuals" who live mostly in their
        heads and have little real connection
        to the groups which they study.

      • mulatta_loca