Re: Mexico and Mixed Society

  • freddy perez
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
      yeap  sorry for the spelling  lol

      mulatta_loca <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

      Quite right. I believe Cinco de Mayo celebrates the victory of the
      Mexican army over the French during the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

      "paco2164" <paco2164@.. .> wrote:

      CINCO DE MAYO IS NOT INDEPEDENCE DAY THAT IS SEPTEMBER 16
      PLUS WE SHUOLD HAVE FUN IN LIFE NO MATTER WHAT LOKI
      FOR EXAMPLE I'M MEXICAN AND I LOVE SELEBRATING 4TH JULY
      THNEKS

      wintyreeve@ wrote:

      Hello Friends,

      Was nice to hear from everyone--gave me a lot to think about.
      Thanks for your responses :)

      I went to Cinco De Mayo this year --and didn't think about it
      until now that during the celebration there was no mention of
      Mixed people --no celebration for them, no representation at all.

      In my area, Cinco De Mayo is not only a celebration of independence
      but a celebration of Hispanic / Latino people as well.
      We have huge parties here--celebrate
      by families and the whole community.
      This year, they blocked off two neighborhoods with
      large Hispanic / Latino populations in Minneapolis
      and St. Paul for street parties with live music, food,
      parades and vendor booths that lasted all weekend.

      From the outside looking in, when I went to Cinco De Mayo
      there clearly was alot of diversity in the people who
      attended and I can't help but to think we could all
      learn from each other so why not celebrate diversity?

      Blessings ~* Lynn

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
        I grew up in smalltown Ohio, and didn't see
        a lot of Multicultural activities, either.
        Then, I moved to Baltimore (MD)... where I took
        a job, met my son's father, and later had my son.
        There were a lot of activities for specific Ethnic
        groups, but none, really, for Multicultural groups.

        Then, we moved to WV...where I was certain
        we'd never see anything of that sort,
        but - lo and behold, the 2nd year we
        were here (in this small town we live in),
        I found out about an annual festival that
        had been held here for years ... right
        down the street from us, at the City Park.

        It's called the Multicultural Festival,
        and the entertainment, the vendors, the
        people, the FOOD... it's wonderful=)

        The festival will be held next weekend and will
        be for 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

        Saturday night, there is this AWESOME Latin band me
        and my friends always go to see. It's a TON of fun=)
        The only thing is... we will all be out
        of town that weekend- for an assembly.
        This band (I forget their name???) is pretty good
        - so good that, they even have their own CD out=)
        I'll have to ask my girlfriend their name,
        because she bought their CD, last year.

        They have Native American vendors, that sell hand-carved
        items (out of wood, soapstone, etc.), jewelry and so-forth.
        They have African women that sell the native African
        dresses / clothing. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
        People sell T-shirts and other clothing items,
        paintings (they had this one of 2-Pac last year,
        that was just AMAZING!!!), sculptures, jewelry, hats,
        knick-knacks, etc... and, the food is DELICIOUS=)
        There's a mexican food stand (YUUUUUUM!), and
        Indian food place (DOUBLE YUM=), soul food
        (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm=), homemade ice-cream,
        standard festival/fair fare, etc.

        It is just so much fun.
        My son, friends, family and I look
        forward to going every, single year!
        Just wanted to let everyone know that
        there are some pretty good get-togethers
        out there for us Multicultural people=)

        Sincerely, Heather
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
            I am a sociology major and I will never
          forget this "lesson" a teacher had planned...
          There was this whole essay, written by some intellectual
          with a six letter title to his name, talking about how
          sociology students get to college, read about struggles in
          society and get so depressed they just want to give up...
          And how do you get students to stay in
          college and want to study these topics?
          I was the only one who said anything to the teacher...
          I told the teacher I don't understand how
          any of this can be new to a person living
          in the real world, people struggle everyday.
          I told the teacher that my family had struggle
          and so it was important for me to be in
          college--to succeed despite it all.
          The teacher looked surprised that I said something
          -- he wasn't sure how to reply other than to say..
          I guess that happens and Maybe we should
          pay attention to other experiences.
          At first I was irritated then I
          had to laugh--it was so surreal.
          Thanks for sharing your thoughts
          --nice to hear from everyone :)

          Lynn

          In a message dated 6/7/2007 7:04:22 PM Central
          Standard Time, rosanna_armendariz@... writes:
          Unfortunately, in my opinion, many of these
          sociology and history books are written by
          "intellectuals" who live mostly in their
          heads and have little real connection
          to the groups which they study.

        • mulatta_loca