Re: Mexico and Mixed Society

  • Rommel Santos
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2007
      I was made to believe through my readings
      of history that the racial question in
      Mexico has long been resolved in the past.
      Mexico had at least one native Indian president,
      and glories in the exploits of a native hero
      who terrorized Americans beyond the border
      in the early years of the 20th century.
      Certainly, Mexicans are enormously proud of
      pre-Columbian civilizations in the Yucatan
      Peninsula and in the central plateau.
      Some writers even portray Mexico as among the least
      self-conscious (i.e. "ashamed") of Spanish-speaking
      nations in the Americas of its native heritage.

      Mulatta-Loca, thank you for painting reality for me.

      Books are one thing, reality is another.
      You also confirmed what I
      suspected about two decades ago.

      Some (if not many) Mexicans do not
      particularly like black people.

      I do not mean to be anti-Hispanophone, but
      I've noticed the same as regards attitudes
      of many Spaniards, Colombians, Argentines,
      some Cubans and Puerto Ricans even.

      Despite the sizable number of Mulattoes and
      "pure" Blacks in Spanish-speaking Panama,
      Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic,
      Venezuela, and Colombia, and in Portuguese-speaking
      Brazil, it seems to me that Black and Mulatto people
      continue to be looked down upon in these countries.

      Take a beauty contest for instance.

      Ever noticed a black or predominantly Black Miss
      Puerto Rico, Miss Brazil or Miss Venezuela?

      Ever noticed if Black faces appear
      often on TV in these countries?

      This is sad because I dare say that the Spanish
      Caribbean would not have been what it is without the
      African element, and Brazil would not have bequeathed
      to the world without the African element.

      And Latin America would not have been Latin America
      without the infusion of African/Mulatto culture.

      To think that Brazil, for one, is
      portrayed as not at all race-conscious.

      Will anyone explain the ambivalent attitude
      of Latin Americans toward Mulattoes and Blacks?

      Sincerely,
      RCS

      mulatta_loca <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

      I live in the US/Mexico border region.

      The population of my city is 85-90% "Hispanic"
      (comprised of Mexican nationals, Mexican Americans,
      Latin Americans, and Latinos of other groups).

      Anyway, most persons of Mexican descent are Mestizo
      -- meaning Mixed w/Indigenous and Spaniard (there
      are few or no people who can realistically
      claim to be 100% descended from Europeans).
      Most Mexicans acknowledge this.

      However, at least from what I've observed,
      the society is rather 'Colorist' in that
      being 'lighter-skinned' is considered "better".
      'Indios'" or 'Indigenous' people are
      looked down upon as "dirty" and "uneducated" .
      Also, there are people of African descent, but
      they generally don't identify as "black," but
      rather as "Moreno" from the word "Moor"
      and which basically means "dark-skinned. "
      From what I've seen Mexican
      culture is rather "Afrophobic" .

      Well, in general terms, that's what
      I've observed during my 12 years
      here in the border region.

      wintyreeve@. .. wrote:

      Hello Friends,

      I have a question---not sure how to word this
      so if you have anything to add or fix,
      I welcome your thoughts...

      Mexico was was once inhabited by Indigenous people.
      I heard a Lakota elder speak and he said
      some of the words and symbolism of the Aztecs are
      similar to the Lakota language, and traditions.

      What has happened to the
      Multi-racial people in Mexico?

      How do they define themselves?

      "Every mestizo is one less Indian --
      or one more Indian waiting to reemerge."

      Jose Barreiro, Taino/Guajiro

      Indigenous Peoples of Mexico
      http://www.indians. org/welker/ mexman01. htm

      Origins of Mexico
      http://www.indians. org/welker/ origins.htm
      Ancient Native American civilizations- -
      including those of the MAYA, OLMEC,
      ZAPOTEC, MIXTEC, TOLTEC, and AZTEC--
      flourished there for centuries before the
      Spanish conquest in the 16th century....

      The original inhabitants of Mexico
      called themselves the "Mexicas".

      The word 'Mexico' is identical in
      several languages, such as Mixtec,
      Otomi, Pame, and Tarasco.

      In "Nahuatl" (the language
      of the "Aztecs/Mexicas" ) it is
      the combination of three words:

      1. Metx(tli) - 'moon'
      2. xic(tli) - 'navel'
      3. co - 'in'

      This gives Mexico a meaning
      of "In the navel of the Moon".

      Since the postions of the lakes,
      upon which Mexico City was founded,
      are shaped like a rabbit and correspond
      to the same pattern on the moon, thus:

      Mexico = The Rabbit's Navel"

      Blacks and Indians in Mexico

      http://www.african- nativeamerican. com/blackmex. htm

      Written by Patrice Farmer
      Saturday, 01 May 2004

      Cracking the Racial Divide

      Tracing the Historical Connection of The Castizo,
      The Modern Mulatto vs. the Colonial Mexican Mulatto

      by Patrice Farmer May/June 2004

      http://multiracial. com/site/ content/view/ 350/27/

      Maybe it was youth that blinded me from seeing the
      racial divide when I had lived out west in Arizona,
      New Mexico and Montana as a 18 yr old girl.

      Maybe it was the area in which I lived
      and the difference in people.

      Maybe it's the fact that I moved to a town in Colorado,
      a completely different experience than when I was 18.

      Now I see what I could not see then, the
      problem between Castizos and Mulattoes.

      Historically, the two groups have a common history,
      including Intermixing between the two groups, but
      that history seems to be lost amongst many people.

      My experience has been troubling to me, especially since
      I looked forward to having brown faces, whose color isn't
      different from my own, compared to the place I had
      just moved from in Tennessee, which was majority White.

      I was in for a shock when I would stand in line and find that the
      people who were acting very near the way that I had experienced
      white people in Tennessee acting toward me, in how they grabbed
      their purses etc. weren't White, they were Mexican or Latinos.

      The stares that I got now weren't White faces or even
      Black faces, but Mexican and I could not understand why,
      after all; we were both brown, some even browner than I.

      Could it be possibly that they disliked me for my
      race or racial mixtures and what that represents?

      After all, they were Mixed race as well;
      they were Castizos-(Half White and Mexican)
      and Mestizos(half Indian, half Spanish)
      and I am a Multiracial or, historically, a Mulatto;
      being Mixed with Black, White, Puerto Rican, and
      Indian and the mother of a Multi/Bi-Racial child
      (half multiracial, half Irish or quadroon) who
      is blond haired, white skinned, with blue eyes.

      But, time after time the dissension between myself, a
      Mixed Race person and the Latino community in which I now
      live, occurred over and over again and then I understood
      that it was not the color of my skin but in fact my ethnicity.

      Having moved to the area of town I did, I found
      that there were a few Black faces where I reside,
      and smaller than that was a few Mixed race faces.

      The Mixed people I've seen here are mostly
      children with few being of adult age..

      The three Mixed groups I've identified here are
      Mexican and White (Castizos), Mexican and Black
      (Colonial Mexicos definition of Mulatto*) or White
      and Black-(the Modern definition of Mulatto**).

      It seems from my observations that the group that
      fares the best is White and Mexican (a Mixed Race
      group in itself) and the offspring of Mexican
      and White intermixing or Castizos and
      their offspring, (considered White).

      Many who are Intermixing between White and
      Mexican do not consider themselves to be Intermixing.

      The children (Castizos) and their even Whiter
      grandchildren aren't treated differently, it
      is the most prominent Mixed Race group here.

      They are also inclined to view the other
      two Mixed race groups as "shocking".

      They are inclined to stare, make comments etc.

      The Mexican and Black group (C. Mulatto*)- tends to fair
      much better than the White and Black group (M. Mulatto**).

      The reason is because in this town, the majority of faces
      seen are Mexican descent, so depending on the way the person
      appears, they either blend in seamlessly or stand out.

      The least liked and understood is the non-hispanic
      Mulatto or Biracial, especially with the
      "stereotypical biracial appearance".

      This group is often on the outskirts of all the groups:
      White, Mexican/Latino, the Castizos and Mestizos.

      What strikes me as strange is that for the first time in
      my numerous experiences as a Mixed Race person, I have had
      an ethnic group (that has occasionally confused me for being
      of that group), who have fears of me as Mixed Race or Mulatto.

      But, in this case, it's an us-versus-them situation.

      I have seen White and Mexican couples stare and make
      comments about my blond haired, White skinned daughter
      and myself-("of stereotypical biracial appearance")
      and that struck me as very ironic.

      Not only is that minority upon minority racism, but
      the two groups are historically and racially connected
      which created the product of Mixed race people, the Mexicans.

      So, they are in fact being prejudiced against
      themselves and their own heritage when they
      look at a Mixed person and see 'the dreaded "other".'

      Historically in Colonial Mexico, from the time that the
      conquistador Hernan Cortes brought 2 African Slaves to Mexico,
      African slaves were brought to work in the plantations after
      the enslaved Native Indian population had nearly diminished.

      The slaves worked the plantations
      and outnumbered the Indian community
      until the Indian numbers increased as well.

      The Spanish believed in Miscegenation- (leaving their
      colonies with loyal subjects to the Crown of Spain)-
      and so they encouraged the populace to intermix.

      The Spanish intermixed with two main groups
      which created a new racial group within
      Mexico and the rest of Latin America:

      One Parent
      +
      One Parent
      =
      Race Classification of Child

      Spaniards
      +
      African Slaves
      =
      Mulatto

      Spaniards
      +
      Native Indians
      =
      Mestizos

      These groups were splintered
      into several main groups:

      One Parent
      +
      One Parent
      =
      Race Classification of Child

      Mestizo
      +
      Spaniard
      =
      Castizo

      Mestizo
      +
      Mulatto
      =
      Cuarteron

      Mestizo
      +
      Native Indian
      =
      Coyote

      Mulatto
      +
      Spaniard
      =
      Morisco or Moor

      Mulatto
      +
      Native Indian
      =
      Chino

      Mulatto
      +
      African Slaves
      =
      Zambo

      African Slaves
      +
      Native Indian
      =
      Sambo or Lobo

      African Slaves
      +
      Mestizo
      =
      Mulatto-oscuro

      There are many, many more Classifications
      for people having multiple Mixtures.

      These groups continued to Mix until the majority
      of the people were classified as Mestizoes and
      Native Indians, though their bloodline has Black
      in it as well and so Mexico's national identity
      became known as a Mestizo nation, a Mixture of
      Indian and Spanish, and therefore the Mulatto and
      African was written out of the history of Mexico.

      Many Mexicans are unaware of the history of the
      Mulatto in Mexico and their only understanding
      of the racial mixing is that of Indian and White and
      therefore they believe they have no connection to me.

      That is why there can exist between a Mexican /
      Latino and a Multiracial- (Mulatto) ethnic prejudice.

      That is how a Mexican/Latino of the same color as a
      Multiracial with identical or similar hair and eyes
      'can be considered' two separate races, because the
      National racial "identity" of the Mexican is that
      of a Spanish and Indian ancestry coupled with a
      linguistic difference between Mexicans and Mulattoes,
      though the two have more in common than none.

      So, is the Mexican/Latino ignorant
      of their Mulatto history?

      I believe most people are
      ignorant of their Mulatto history.

      It's our job to educate!!!

    • mulatta_loca
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
        Hi, Rommel.

        Yes, Benito Juarez was a Zapotec Indian.
        But, you know how I found this out?
        From a White Anthropology professor
        when I was an undergraduate.
        After learning this tidbit, I mentioned it to some
        of my Mexican friends who looked at me askance,
        and either said nothing or expressed surprise.
        So, yeah, like you said, books are one thing
        and day-to-day reality is often quite another.
        Unfortunately, in my opinion, many of these
        sociology and history books are written by
        "intellectuals" who live mostly in their
        heads and have little real connection
        to the groups which they study.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Rommel Santos <rrcs_law@...> wrote:

[...]

        From what I've seen Mexican

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2007
          Hello Friends,

          Was nice to hear from everyone--gave me a lot to think about.
          Thanks for your responses :)

          I went to Cinco De Mayo this year --and didn't think about it
          until now that during the celebration there was no mention of
          Mixed people --no celebration for them, no representation at all.

          In my area, Cinco De Mayo is not only a celebration of independence
          but a celebration of Hispanic / Latino people as well.
          We have huge parties here--celebrate
          by families and the whole community.
          This year, they blocked off two neighborhoods with
          large Hispanic / Latino populations in Minneapolis
          and St. Paul for street parties with live music, food,
          parades and vendor booths that lasted all weekend.

          From the outside looking in, when I went to Cinco De Mayo
          there clearly was alot of diversity in the people who
          attended and I can't help but to think we could all
          learn from each other so why not celebrate diversity?

          Blessings ~* Lynn

        • paco2164
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
            CINCO DE MAYO IS NOT INDEPEDENCE DAY THAT IS SEPTEMBER 16
            PLUS WE SHUOLD HAVE FUN IN LIFE NO MATTER WHAT LOKI
            FOR EXAMPLE I'M MEXICAN AND I LOVE SELEBRATING 4TH JULY
            THNEKS

            wintyreeve@... wrote:

            Hello Friends,

            Was nice to hear from everyone--gave me a lot to think about.
            Thanks for your responses :)

            I went to Cinco De Mayo this year --and didn't think about it
            until now that during the celebration there was no mention of
            Mixed people --no celebration for them, no representation at all.

            In my area, Cinco De Mayo is not only a celebration of independence
            but a celebration of Hispanic / Latino people as well.
            We have huge parties here--celebrate
            by families and the whole community.
            This year, they blocked off two neighborhoods with
            large Hispanic / Latino populations in Minneapolis
            and St. Paul for street parties with live music, food,
            parades and vendor booths that lasted all weekend.

            From the outside looking in, when I went to Cinco De Mayo

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
                  I grew up in smalltown Ohio, and didn't see
                  a lot of Multicultural activities, either.
                  Then, I moved to Baltimore (MD)... where I took
                  a job, met my son's father, and later had my son.
                  There were a lot of activities for specific Ethnic
                  groups, but none, really, for Multicultural groups.

                  Then, we moved to WV...where I was certain
                  we'd never see anything of that sort,
                  but - lo and behold, the 2nd year we
                  were here (in this small town we live in),
                  I found out about an annual festival that
                  had been held here for years ... right
                  down the street from us, at the City Park.

                  It's called the Multicultural Festival,
                  and the entertainment, the vendors, the
                  people, the FOOD... it's wonderful=)

                  The festival will be held next weekend and will
                  be for 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

                  Saturday night, there is this AWESOME Latin band me
                  and my friends always go to see. It's a TON of fun=)
                  The only thing is... we will all be out
                  of town that weekend- for an assembly.
                  This band (I forget their name???) is pretty good
                  - so good that, they even have their own CD out=)
                  I'll have to ask my girlfriend their name,
                  because she bought their CD, last year.

                  They have Native American vendors, that sell hand-carved
                  items (out of wood, soapstone, etc.), jewelry and so-forth.
                  They have African women that sell the native African
                  dresses / clothing. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
                  People sell T-shirts and other clothing items,
                  paintings (they had this one of 2-Pac last year,
                  that was just AMAZING!!!), sculptures, jewelry, hats,
                  knick-knacks, etc... and, the food is DELICIOUS=)
                  There's a mexican food stand (YUUUUUUM!), and
                  Indian food place (DOUBLE YUM=), soul food
                  (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm=), homemade ice-cream,
                  standard festival/fair fare, etc.

                  It is just so much fun.
                  My son, friends, family and I look
                  forward to going every, single year!
                  Just wanted to let everyone know that
                  there are some pretty good get-togethers
                  out there for us Multicultural people=)

                  Sincerely, Heather
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
                      I am a sociology major and I will never
                    forget this "lesson" a teacher had planned...
                    There was this whole essay, written by some intellectual
                    with a six letter title to his name, talking about how
                    sociology students get to college, read about struggles in
                    society and get so depressed they just want to give up...
                    And how do you get students to stay in
                    college and want to study these topics?
                    I was the only one who said anything to the teacher...
                    I told the teacher I don't understand how
                    any of this can be new to a person living
                    in the real world, people struggle everyday.
                    I told the teacher that my family had struggle
                    and so it was important for me to be in
                    college--to succeed despite it all.
                    The teacher looked surprised that I said something
                    -- he wasn't sure how to reply other than to say..
                    I guess that happens and Maybe we should
                    pay attention to other experiences.
                    At first I was irritated then I
                    had to laugh--it was so surreal.
                    Thanks for sharing your thoughts