Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

  • osteoron
    Message 1 of 29 , May 31, 2007
      Hi Heather

      Thanks for the support.

      Surprisingly, I don't feel humiliated. I see this as her issue.
      I met with my supervisor and coworker today to discuss the issue.
      Unfortunately, when I spoke of my heritage and some of the
      cultural differences, the discussion did not go very well.
      I maintained that as a person of two cultures and
      two races people react to me and have expectations
      of me based on how I look rather than who I am.

      Sadly, I work in a profession that is supposed to be sensitive to
      cultural and racial issues, but this is proving not to be the case.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      Your coworker actually SAID THAT to you??? Oooooooooh, I would be
      mad! It sounds like you've given her ample opportunity to be
      respectful toward you, but she continues to feign ignorance. This is
      just my opinion, but... if I were you, I would tell your coworker
      exactly how you feel and that you will not tolerate any rudeness or
      foolishness on her part. Let her know that, if she doesn't "get it
      right," you will not hesitate to go to your superior- and, by all
      means, follow through with that, if need be! This is what I mean by
      "taking a stand." If you allow this coworker to continue treating you
      in such a blatantly disrespectful manner... what sort of message would
      you be sending her, and other coworkers? That it's o.k. for them to
      say or do anything toward you that they wish??? I'm sure that's not
      what you want. I'm sure... if you do a little investigating, the
      company you work for has some sort of anti-discriminatory policy in
      place- for situations like this. If not, now is the time to question why they don't have one. I truly feel for you. No one should have to endure the sort of humiliation that you've described! Hang in there and let us know how things go=)
      Sincerely,

      Heather
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
        That's terrible! I'm very sorry to hear that.
        Have you ever thought of a career change or, possibly, starting
        your own small business with the skills you currently have?
        I'm not sure what it is you do, but I'm sure that there are people
        out there who'd appreciate someone like you to work for/with them.
        Hang in there! Things will work out=)
        Just remember: no one- including you!- deserves to be humiliated
        and demeaned, based on something as superficial as race/heritage.
        That's just not right.
        Heather
      • osteoron
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
          Yes, I have thought of it.
          And no, I wouldn't do that.

          Thanks for the support though.

          I work in the social services sector and I
          wouldn't be able to do the work that I enjoy.
          I am helping to help shape the community,
          help others and at least make a small dent
          in some of these issues from a grass roots
          and political perspective by empowering
          young people in the community.

          It just sucks some days.

        • nacaomestica@nacaomestica.org
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
            The Brazilian culture and people traditionally
            recognize Mixed identities, as of the 'Mulatto', the
            'Cafuzo' (Native+Black) and the 'Caboclo' (Native+White).

            However, the current leftist Brazilian government
            (of the 'Party of the Workers' - 'Partido dos
            Trabalhadores', PT) is undertaking a anti-Mestizo politics.

            This politics is specily lead by racial movements
            linked to the party of the president Lula who is
            introducing the 'One Drop Rule' in the country.

            The 'Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro'
            ('Brazilian Mestizo Movement'), or
            'Nação Mestiça' ('Mestizo Nation'),
            was organized to defend the right of the
            'Mestizos' to be identified as 'Mestizos'
            (in Portuguese the word for
            'Multiracial/Ethnic' is 'Mestiço').

            The 'Mestizos' has been excluded of
            the governmental politics and Mestizo
            movement has been suffered persecutions.

            We thank the Multi-Ethnic organizations help
            us denounce this anti-'Mestizo' politics.

            EUA
            Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
            casamento inter-racial no país
            1 de junho de 2007
            AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans
            e outras organizações
            mestiças dos EUA estão preparando a Loving Decision Conference.
            A conferência internacional faz parte das comemorações do 40.º
            aniversário da Loving versus Virgínia (1967), a decisão da Suprema
            Corte dos EUA que legalizou o casamento inter-racial nos EUA.
            Informa a AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans que o evento
            visar ser a primeira vez na história dos EUA que estarão reunidos
            casais "inter-raciais", indivíduos "multi-raciais/étnicos" e
            adotados "trans-raciais", além de políticos, educadores/estudantes,
            celebridades, e organizações ativistas representativas de todas as
            comunidades para tratar sobre a mestiçagem nos EUA.
            O Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro foi convidado.
            Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
            Communities
            ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
            Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
            Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

            Página Inicial   Nosso Fórum / Nuestro Foro / Our Forum
            Hemeroteca.
            As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
            jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
            abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
            raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
            responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
            no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

            Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
            Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro
            Todos os direitos reservados

            www.nacaomestica.org
          • c09981
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
              I never heard about this. What is their supposed rationale?

              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

              Anti-Mestizo politics in Brazil

              nacaomestica@...
              <nacaomestica@...> wrote:

              From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

[...]
              A Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
              Communities ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
              Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
              Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

              Página Inicial Nosso Fórum /
              Nuestro Foro / Our Forum Hemeroteca.
              As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
              jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
              abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
              raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
              responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
              no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

              Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
              DENUNCIE A POLÍTICA DO GOVERNO BRASILEIRO CONTRA MESTIÇOS
              DENUNCIE LA POLÍTICA DEL GOBIERNO BRASILEÑO CONTRA MESTIZOS
              DENOUNCE THE POLICY OF THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT AGAINST MESTIZOS
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                There are various ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                in Brazil --- of diverse lines of thought.

                The Afro-descendant Movements in Brazil
                traditionally liked the Miscegenation,
                since the time of the slavery (abolished
                in Brazil in 1888 by the Princess Isabel).

                In the Black population there
                is supporting for it – and in
                traditional Black [-only] Movements.

                The Brazilian culture distinguishes
                a 'Mulatto' [person] from a 'Black'
                [person] and [also] a 'White' [person].

                In Brazil, 'White' is someone
                who "looks" like to be a 'White'.

                Colin Powell in Brazil would not
                be considered a 'Black' [person]
                by the absolute majority of the
                Brazilians, but a 'Mulatto' [person].

                A ‘Caboclo’ (Native + White) ...
                is not seen as an ‘Indian’ –
                a ‘Caboclo’, although he know to
                descend of Aboriginals, he does
                not have 'bonds or memory of' the
                Native ethnic groups he descends.

                Organized groups, various linked
                to political parties, however, had
                perceived that they could give a
                character of ethnic and racial
                conflict to the Brazilian chronic
                social conflicts generated by poverty,
                land and income concentration;
                a claim of a population without-land
                transformed into claim of a “ethnic group”
                without-land could gain great force.

                To divide the Brazilian territory between
                "racial" groups started to be seen
                as a way for the agrarian reform.

                Some ones understood that would be necessary
                to join ‘Mestizos', 'Mulattos’, ‘Cafuzos’ and
                other ‘Mestizos’ (Afro-descendants) in the
                ‘Black’ category to "unify" the Movement -
                educating these -- to link themselves 'only'
                to its African origins and to reject its
                bond with the ‘White’; the cross-racial
                ‘identity’, something strong in the
                Brazilian culture, became an obstacle
                for these groups – a motivation for
                some of these groups have an aggressive
                position against the 'Mestizo' Movement.

                In Brazil, the Census Classifies the
                Racial / Color groups in five Categories:
                White (Branco), Black (Preto), Brown
                (Pardo), Yellow (Amarelo) and Indian (Indio)
                .

                The ‘Pardos’ are 'Mestizos' of Intermediate
                color between the 'White' and the 'Black' color.

                ‘Black’ [-only] Movements linked to the government
                had decided that Negro = ‘Black’ + ‘Brown’
                (in Brazil, the ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                call theirselves “Movimentos Negros”),
                although many of these ‘Browns’ are a
                Cross-Race of ‘Indians’ and not of ‘Blacks’.

                This, however, is only one aspect.

                Only for help (we don’t endorse
                necessarily all the article), the
                selections of the following text (from
                http://www.brazzil.com/content/view/9656/78/ )
                can help to explain other aspects:

                Brazil Wants to Ban Mulattos

                ... and Give Blacks an ID.

                They Call This Progress

                Janer Cristaldo

                A stupidity cloud seems to hover over the
                Brazilian National Congress these days.

                Not that it would be easy to find any
                intelligent cloud over the Congress.

                But now there's a high concentration of stupidity and
                the whole country is threatened with a stupidity rain.

                Two projects, that intend to send Brazil two
                centuries back are being discussed in Brasília.

                One of them, by senator Paulo Paim, already
                approved in the Senate, wants to send Brazil
                ’back to the racist America of the America when
                Jim Crow laws were in force ‘or perhaps to the ‘Hitlerist
                Germany’ or even to the ‘South Africa of Apartheid’.

                To be honest, I have nothing
                new to say about the matter.

                Since talks about quotas started I have
                been denouncing this tactic adopted by
                the Black [-only] Movements as something
                that will only serve to stimulate racism.

                The stupidity keeps moving on
                with ever increasing audacity.

                While before all we talked about were
                quotas, senator Paim's project now
                intends to identify Brazilians by
                race, as it was … in Nazi Germany.

                Is the stupidity being repeated?

                This chronicler feels compelled to repeat himself.

                I have already commented on the Statute
                of Racial Equality, when I denounced
                recently ‘the extinction of the Mulatto’.

                With a stroke of a pen, the senator intends to
                extirpate from the country's history the most
                evident proof of the good racial conviviality.

                The expedient is elementary.

                As [full] ‘Black’ [people] comprise a mere 5.4 %
                of the to call ‘Black’ the whole ‘Mulatto’ contingent,
                which represents 39.9% of the population.

                Give a little time and Brazil will be
                defined as being for the most part-Black.

                By the way, this is how the country is already
                seen by many Americans and Europeans.

                The intention is to adopt the American model,
                ---- which does not ‘admit Miscegenation’.

                It's either Black or White.

                Some intellectuals, able to escape the herd
                spirit that characterizes the species, presented
                to the Congress a document with 114 signatures,
                with arguments opposing the Statute and
                the reserves required by racial quotas.

                Right away the document was satanized as the
                "White Elite's Manifesto," as if the mean White
                men were interested in maintaining the Black
                population far away from their territory.

                The government, which since then
                had been insisting on maintaining the
                academic quotas, felt compelled to back out.

                Now they are talking about social quotas.

                (...)

                The senator's project still anticipates the creation of
                a special ID that will identify 'Black' people racially.

                According to the statute, 'Black' [people] will
                be required to carry their 'Black' ID card.

                It's funny to observe that in past decades
                the Black [-only] Movements had arrived at
                the conclusion that "race" 'doesn't exist’.

                Now it does exist and must appear in a document.

                Since Whitening is quite generalized in Brazil,
                perhaps a better solution would be to create
                a tattoo or another very visible accessory,
                like Hitler created in Germany …

                If such monstrosity is approved this country
                where miscegenation has always been the rule
                will start to officially discriminate by race.

                We are walking with large steps
                towards a Black [-only] Nazism.

                (...)

                (...).

                Janer Cristaldo - holds a Ph.D. from University of
                Paris, Sorbonne - is an author, translator, lawyer,
                phillosopher and journalist and lives in São Paulo.
                Translated from the Portuguese by Arlindo Silva.

                <nacaomestica@ nacaomestica. org> wrote:

                From http://nacaomestica .org/noticia_ 070601_lovingdec ision.htm

[...]

              • Rommel Santos
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007
                  nacaomestica:

                  If you laid out the facts right, I must
                  say that the racist policy is definitely
                  unjust and contrary to human dignity.

                  You are probably right questioning the
                  current leftist government of Brazil.

                  How sad that a country that presents
                  itself as a model of racial tolerance takes
                  on a path contrary to its good reputation.

                  PS:

                  I take it you're Brazilian.
                  Well, I've been to a Brazilian restaurant
                  (which served churasco (did I spell it right?).
                  Boy, was it deeeeeeeee-licious! Exotic too.

                  Yours,
                  Rommel Santos

                • docilechicken24
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 14, 2007
                    This is what confuses me.

                    The policy is unjust to Mixed race persons ability to 'identify'
                    otherwise from Afro-Brazillians, yet it sounds like the reasons
                    for doing it are to give them better access to opportunity within
                    Brazillian society that they don't really have right now.

                    I know in some people in my school went to Rio de Janeiro
                    (I am pretty sure that was the city at least)
                    and studied affirmative action that is being
                    experimented with in colleges cause the colleges
                    don't have dark-skinned Mulatto or Blacks in them.

                    If the Mulattoes and Blacks aren't united under one banner,
                    how could they implement a program like that, that is
                    giving them greater access to resources and opportunities.

                    I don't think it is a clear cut issues either way.

                    From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

                    EUA
                    Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                    casamento inter-racial no país1 de junho de 2007
                    A AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans e outras organizações
[...]

                  • eekmod
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 15, 2007
                      When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
                      I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
                      For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
                      I always pick according to my mood of the
                      day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

                      People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
                      These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
                      think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
                      of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

                      I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
                      says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

                        I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
                        People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
                        I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
                        Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
                        it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
                        It can be tiring "educating" people...
                        especially people who could really care less!
                        It's something that needs to be done, though.
                        Have a great day! Heather
                      • kier22_2
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
                          Do it! get your teeshirt made.
                          It does it tiring (lol) after a
                          while having to explain yourself.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
                            On 'Self-Definition'

                            When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
                            who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
                            `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
                            they have encountered – rather than out of some
                            personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
                            "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
                            some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

                            These conclusions are as follows:

                            ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
                            Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
                            IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
                            "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

                            ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
                            Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
                            as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
                            facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
                            of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

                            ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
                            heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
                            your ancestors went through (against their volition)
                            and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
                            order to pave the way for you to exist.

                            ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
                            (such as
                            Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
                            (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
                            Multiracially-Mixed -–
                            MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
                            via their Parentage (such as people who are of
                            First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
                            parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
                            many of the members of the group that today is generally
                            referred to as
                            'African-American ') ------- and that all
                            of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
                            `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
                            and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
                            and championing of proud and strong people'.

                            ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
                            are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
                            or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
                            the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
                            – as
                            does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
                            features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

                            *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
                            the God-given right to choose their own individual
                            `identity'
                            with which they feel most comfortable --
                            as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
                            embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
                            empowering than if the whole world also decided
                            to affirm what one already knows to be true.

                            Just a thought. ;;)

                            Have a great day. :)

                            Related Links:

                            http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                                        -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
                          • Connie Ware-Berg
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

                              I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                                Hi Connie,

                                Thank you so much for you memo!!

                                Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                                that you would like (and
                                I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                                [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                                the
                                'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                                'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                                re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                                -- and also the
                                'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                                in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                                posting
                                ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                                ]

                                Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                                happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                                Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                                to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                                -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                                Composed and Posted by