Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

    Message 1 of 29 , May 31, 2007
      Your coworker actually SAID THAT to you??? Oooooooooh, I would be mad! It sounds like you've given her ample opportunity to be respectful toward you, but she continues to feign ignorance. This is just my opinion, but... if I were you, I would tell your coworker exactly how you feel and that you will not tolerate any rudeness or foolishness on her part. Let her know that, if she doesn't "get it right," you will not hesitate to go to your superior- and, by all means, follow through with that, if need be! This is what I mean by "taking a stand." If you allow this coworker to continue treating you in such a blatantly disrespectful manner... what sort of message would you be sending her, and other coworkers? That it's o.k. for them to say or do anything toward you that they wish??? I'm sure that's not what you want. I'm sure... if you do a little investigating, the company you work for has some sort of anti-discriminatory policy in place- for situations like this. If not, now is the time to question why they don't have one. I truly feel for you. No one should have to endure the sort of humiliation that you've described! Hang in there and let us know how things go=) Sincerely, Heather
    • mulatta_loca
      Message 2 of 29 , May 31, 2007
        Exactly! I couldn't agree more.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

        I really don't think anyone here objects to what you say is
        happening in your case... regarding you being judged. My thinking
        is/was (when I originally posted my questions), that... a
        person "passing" is (to my knowledge/understanding of the word) a
        person who willfully chooses to do so. I do agree that others can put
        us in "little boxes," classifying us in the way they/or society view
        us. It's definitely not fair, and usually not too accurate, but it's
        going to happen... whether we like it or not. The thing is... as
        Multiracial people, we need to stand up (together) and let people
        know, "Hey! You will not be deciding, for me, who I am and who I
        define myself to be!" That is for us to decide, and anyone who says
        different has lost their marbles-lol! It infuriates me to hear people
        say, they believe race relations, in this country, have improved. I
        just don't see it. I mean... sure... from the 60's and the Civil
        Rights Era, things have improved- but, not to what they should /
        could be. We still have a long way to go! If not for ourselves,
        for our children we need to take a stand. I have seen my son
        go through some pretty awful name-calling (racial) and turmoil.
        It shouldn't be that way... but, it is. The way people see us,
        though, will never change. People will think, say and do as they
        always have- the way they please. The difference is... unlike earlier
        times, when individuals felt they had no choice, but to "pass," we DO
        have a choice. I, for one, am NOT about to lie down and allow some
        misguided, ignorant people to determine, for me, who I am and what I
        want to do in life. I am who I am, and... unless I yield to their
        idiotic beliefs/or views of myself, I am in NO WAY allowing them to
        determine who/what I will become. I would've had a real rough time
        back in the 60's... when all this was going on. I just could not have
        sat back and allowed people to disrespect me/or degrade me to the
        point I felt I had no choice, but to "pass." I can only imagine how
        very horrific and difficult that period of time must've been for
        those people. I do see people today who feel as if they don't have a
        choice in the matter. Oh, but we DO!!! Stand up! Tell people who do
        this to you (label you) and make you feel badly about yourself that
        you aren't about to allow them to do that to you... that, you are who
        you are and there is no way you're going to allow them, or anyone
        else, to decide who you are/who you get to be. They may look at you
        like you're foolish, or even laugh in your face. You got your point
        across, though! They'll definitely think twice about approaching you
        with that nonsense in the future. Unfortunately, this is not a
        perfect world we live in... nor will it be, until God makes that
        happen. Until then, we have to live with, interact with and tolerate
        people who do not like. I, too, used to get angry and think, "Yeah,
        right! What am I going to do to change how other's think about me?
        Nothing!" I used to feel like, "fighting the good fight" was not
        worth it. It is SOOOOOOOOO worth it!!! When you do your part, and
        stand true to who you are (no matter what others think of you!), you
        are setting an example for the youth of tomorrow... that they are
        special, they are strong and you can teach other people and educate
        them to their nonsense. It happens all the time! Take care and I hope
        you find peace in your own situation. Sincerely, Heather
      • osteoron
        Message 3 of 29 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Heather

          Thanks for the support.

          Surprisingly, I don't feel humiliated. I see this as her issue.
          I met with my supervisor and coworker today to discuss the issue.
          Unfortunately, when I spoke of my heritage and some of the
          cultural differences, the discussion did not go very well.
          I maintained that as a person of two cultures and
          two races people react to me and have expectations
          of me based on how I look rather than who I am.

          Sadly, I work in a profession that is supposed to be sensitive to
          cultural and racial issues, but this is proving not to be the case.

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
            That's terrible! I'm very sorry to hear that.
            Have you ever thought of a career change or, possibly, starting
            your own small business with the skills you currently have?
            I'm not sure what it is you do, but I'm sure that there are people
            out there who'd appreciate someone like you to work for/with them.
            Hang in there! Things will work out=)
            Just remember: no one- including you!- deserves to be humiliated
            and demeaned, based on something as superficial as race/heritage.
            That's just not right.
            Heather
          • osteoron
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
              Yes, I have thought of it.
              And no, I wouldn't do that.

              Thanks for the support though.

              I work in the social services sector and I
              wouldn't be able to do the work that I enjoy.
              I am helping to help shape the community,
              help others and at least make a small dent
              in some of these issues from a grass roots
              and political perspective by empowering
              young people in the community.

              It just sucks some days.

            • nacaomestica@nacaomestica.org
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                The Brazilian culture and people traditionally
                recognize Mixed identities, as of the 'Mulatto', the
                'Cafuzo' (Native+Black) and the 'Caboclo' (Native+White).

                However, the current leftist Brazilian government
                (of the 'Party of the Workers' - 'Partido dos
                Trabalhadores', PT) is undertaking a anti-Mestizo politics.

                This politics is specily lead by racial movements
                linked to the party of the president Lula who is
                introducing the 'One Drop Rule' in the country.

                The 'Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro'
                ('Brazilian Mestizo Movement'), or
                'Nação Mestiça' ('Mestizo Nation'),
                was organized to defend the right of the
                'Mestizos' to be identified as 'Mestizos'
                (in Portuguese the word for
                'Multiracial/Ethnic' is 'Mestiço').

                The 'Mestizos' has been excluded of
                the governmental politics and Mestizo
                movement has been suffered persecutions.

                We thank the Multi-Ethnic organizations help
                us denounce this anti-'Mestizo' politics.

                EUA
                Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                casamento inter-racial no país
                1 de junho de 2007
                AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans
                e outras organizações
                mestiças dos EUA estão preparando a Loving Decision Conference.
                A conferência internacional faz parte das comemorações do 40.º
                aniversário da Loving versus Virgínia (1967), a decisão da Suprema
                Corte dos EUA que legalizou o casamento inter-racial nos EUA.
                Informa a AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans que o evento
                visar ser a primeira vez na história dos EUA que estarão reunidos
                casais "inter-raciais", indivíduos "multi-raciais/étnicos" e
                adotados "trans-raciais", além de políticos, educadores/estudantes,
                celebridades, e organizações ativistas representativas de todas as
                comunidades para tratar sobre a mestiçagem nos EUA.
                O Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro foi convidado.
                Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                Communities
                ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                Página Inicial   Nosso Fórum / Nuestro Foro / Our Forum
                Hemeroteca.
                As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro
                Todos os direitos reservados

                www.nacaomestica.org
              • c09981
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                  I never heard about this. What is their supposed rationale?

                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                  Anti-Mestizo politics in Brazil

                  nacaomestica@...
                  <nacaomestica@...> wrote:

                  From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

[...]
                  A Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                  Communities ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                  Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                  Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                  Página Inicial Nosso Fórum /
                  Nuestro Foro / Our Forum Hemeroteca.
                  As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                  jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                  abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                  raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                  responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                  no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                  Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                  DENUNCIE A POLÍTICA DO GOVERNO BRASILEIRO CONTRA MESTIÇOS
                  DENUNCIE LA POLÍTICA DEL GOBIERNO BRASILEÑO CONTRA MESTIZOS
                  DENOUNCE THE POLICY OF THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT AGAINST MESTIZOS
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                    There are various ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                    in Brazil --- of diverse lines of thought.

                    The Afro-descendant Movements in Brazil
                    traditionally liked the Miscegenation,
                    since the time of the slavery (abolished
                    in Brazil in 1888 by the Princess Isabel).

                    In the Black population there
                    is supporting for it – and in
                    traditional Black [-only] Movements.

                    The Brazilian culture distinguishes
                    a 'Mulatto' [person] from a 'Black'
                    [person] and [also] a 'White' [person].

                    In Brazil, 'White' is someone
                    who "looks" like to be a 'White'.

                    Colin Powell in Brazil would not
                    be considered a 'Black' [person]
                    by the absolute majority of the
                    Brazilians, but a 'Mulatto' [person].

                    A ‘Caboclo’ (Native + White) ...
                    is not seen as an ‘Indian’ –
                    a ‘Caboclo’, although he know to
                    descend of Aboriginals, he does
                    not have 'bonds or memory of' the
                    Native ethnic groups he descends.

                    Organized groups, various linked
                    to political parties, however, had
                    perceived that they could give a
                    character of ethnic and racial
                    conflict to the Brazilian chronic
                    social conflicts generated by poverty,
                    land and income concentration;
                    a claim of a population without-land
                    transformed into claim of a “ethnic group”
                    without-land could gain great force.

                    To divide the Brazilian territory between
                    "racial" groups started to be seen
                    as a way for the agrarian reform.

                    Some ones understood that would be necessary
                    to join ‘Mestizos', 'Mulattos’, ‘Cafuzos’ and
                    other ‘Mestizos’ (Afro-descendants) in the
                    ‘Black’ category to "unify" the Movement -
                    educating these -- to link themselves 'only'
                    to its African origins and to reject its
                    bond with the ‘White’; the cross-racial
                    ‘identity’, something strong in the
                    Brazilian culture, became an obstacle
                    for these groups – a motivation for
                    some of these groups have an aggressive
                    position against the 'Mestizo' Movement.

                    In Brazil, the Census Classifies the
                    Racial / Color groups in five Categories:
                    White (Branco), Black (Preto), Brown
                    (Pardo), Yellow (Amarelo) and Indian (Indio)
                    .

                    The ‘Pardos’ are 'Mestizos' of Intermediate
                    color between the 'White' and the 'Black' color.

                    ‘Black’ [-only] Movements linked to the government
                    had decided that Negro = ‘Black’ + ‘Brown’
                    (in Brazil, the ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                    call theirselves “Movimentos Negros”),
                    although many of these ‘Browns’ are a
                    Cross-Race of ‘Indians’ and not of ‘Blacks’.

                    This, however, is only one aspect.

                    Only for help (we don’t endorse
                    necessarily all the article), the
                    selections of the following text (from
                    http://www.brazzil.com/content/view/9656/78/ )
                    can help to explain other aspects:

                    Brazil Wants to Ban Mulattos

                    ... and Give Blacks an ID.

                    They Call This Progress

                    Janer Cristaldo

                    A stupidity cloud seems to hover over the
                    Brazilian National Congress these days.

                    Not that it would be easy to find any
                    intelligent cloud over the Congress.

                    But now there's a high concentration of stupidity and
                    the whole country is threatened with a stupidity rain.

                    Two projects, that intend to send Brazil two
                    centuries back are being discussed in Brasília.

                    One of them, by senator Paulo Paim, already
                    approved in the Senate, wants to send Brazil
                    ’back to the racist America of the America when
                    Jim Crow laws were in force ‘or perhaps to the ‘Hitlerist
                    Germany’ or even to the ‘South Africa of Apartheid’.

                    To be honest, I have nothing
                    new to say about the matter.

                    Since talks about quotas started I have
                    been denouncing this tactic adopted by
                    the Black [-only] Movements as something
                    that will only serve to stimulate racism.

                    The stupidity keeps moving on
                    with ever increasing audacity.

                    While before all we talked about were
                    quotas, senator Paim's project now
                    intends to identify Brazilians by
                    race, as it was … in Nazi Germany.

                    Is the stupidity being repeated?

                    This chronicler feels compelled to repeat himself.

                    I have already commented on the Statute
                    of Racial Equality, when I denounced
                    recently ‘the extinction of the Mulatto’.

                    With a stroke of a pen, the senator intends to
                    extirpate from the country's history the most
                    evident proof of the good racial conviviality.

                    The expedient is elementary.

                    As [full] ‘Black’ [people] comprise a mere 5.4 %
                    of the to call ‘Black’ the whole ‘Mulatto’ contingent,
                    which represents 39.9% of the population.

                    Give a little time and Brazil will be
                    defined as being for the most part-Black.

                    By the way, this is how the country is already
                    seen by many Americans and Europeans.

                    The intention is to adopt the American model,
                    ---- which does not ‘admit Miscegenation’.

                    It's either Black or White.

                    Some intellectuals, able to escape the herd
                    spirit that characterizes the species, presented
                    to the Congress a document with 114 signatures,
                    with arguments opposing the Statute and
                    the reserves required by racial quotas.

                    Right away the document was satanized as the
                    "White Elite's Manifesto," as if the mean White
                    men were interested in maintaining the Black
                    population far away from their territory.

                    The government, which since then
                    had been insisting on maintaining the
                    academic quotas, felt compelled to back out.

                    Now they are talking about social quotas.

                    (...)

                    The senator's project still anticipates the creation of
                    a special ID that will identify 'Black' people racially.

                    According to the statute, 'Black' [people] will
                    be required to carry their 'Black' ID card.

                    It's funny to observe that in past decades
                    the Black [-only] Movements had arrived at
                    the conclusion that "race" 'doesn't exist’.

                    Now it does exist and must appear in a document.

                    Since Whitening is quite generalized in Brazil,
                    perhaps a better solution would be to create
                    a tattoo or another very visible accessory,
                    like Hitler created in Germany …

                    If such monstrosity is approved this country
                    where miscegenation has always been the rule
                    will start to officially discriminate by race.

                    We are walking with large steps
                    towards a Black [-only] Nazism.

                    (...)

                    (...).

                    Janer Cristaldo - holds a Ph.D. from University of
                    Paris, Sorbonne - is an author, translator, lawyer,
                    phillosopher and journalist and lives in São Paulo.
                    Translated from the Portuguese by Arlindo Silva.

                    <nacaomestica@ nacaomestica. org> wrote:

                    From http://nacaomestica .org/noticia_ 070601_lovingdec ision.htm

[...]

                  • Rommel Santos
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007
                      nacaomestica:

                      If you laid out the facts right, I must
                      say that the racist policy is definitely
                      unjust and contrary to human dignity.

                      You are probably right questioning the
                      current leftist government of Brazil.

                      How sad that a country that presents
                      itself as a model of racial tolerance takes
                      on a path contrary to its good reputation.

                      PS:

                      I take it you're Brazilian.
                      Well, I've been to a Brazilian restaurant
                      (which served churasco (did I spell it right?).
                      Boy, was it deeeeeeeee-licious! Exotic too.

                      Yours,
                      Rommel Santos

                    • docilechicken24
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 14, 2007
                        This is what confuses me.

                        The policy is unjust to Mixed race persons ability to 'identify'
                        otherwise from Afro-Brazillians, yet it sounds like the reasons
                        for doing it are to give them better access to opportunity within
                        Brazillian society that they don't really have right now.

                        I know in some people in my school went to Rio de Janeiro
                        (I am pretty sure that was the city at least)
                        and studied affirmative action that is being
                        experimented with in colleges cause the colleges
                        don't have dark-skinned Mulatto or Blacks in them.

                        If the Mulattoes and Blacks aren't united under one banner,
                        how could they implement a program like that, that is
                        giving them greater access to resources and opportunities.

                        I don't think it is a clear cut issues either way.

                        From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

                        EUA
                        Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                        casamento inter-racial no país1 de junho de 2007
                        A AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans e outras organizações
[...]

                      • eekmod
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 15, 2007
                          When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
                          I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
                          For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
                          I always pick according to my mood of the
                          day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

                          People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
                          These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
                          think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
                          of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

                          I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
                          says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

                            I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
                            People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
                            I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
                            Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
                            it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
                            It can be tiring "educating" people...
                            especially people who could really care less!
                            It's something that needs to be done, though.
                            Have a great day! Heather
                          • kier22_2
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
                              Do it! get your teeshirt made.
                              It does it tiring (lol) after a
                              while having to explain yourself.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
                                On 'Self-Definition'

                                When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
                                who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
                                `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
                                they have encountered – rather than out of some
                                personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
                                "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
                                some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

                                These conclusions are as follows:

                                ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
                                Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
                                IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
                                "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

                                ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
                                Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
                                as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
                                facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
                                of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

                                ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
                                heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
                                your ancestors went through (against their volition)
                                and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
                                order to pave the way for you to exist.

                                ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
                                (such as
                                Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
                                (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
                                Multiracially-Mixed -–
                                MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
                                via their Parentage (such as people who are of
                                First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
                                parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
                                many of the members of the group that today is generally
                                referred to as
                                'African-American ') ------- and that all
                                of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
                                `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
                                and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
                                and championing of proud and strong people'.

                                ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
                                are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
                                or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
                                the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
                                – as
                                does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
                                features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

                                *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
                                the God-given right to choose their own individual
                                `identity'
                                with which they feel most comfortable --
                                as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
                                embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
                                empowering than if the whole world also decided
                                to affirm what one already knows to be true.

                                Just a thought. ;;)

                                Have a great day. :)

                                Related Links:

                                http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                                            -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
                              • Connie Ware-Berg
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

                                  I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                                    Hi Connie,

                                    Thank you so much for you memo!!

                                    Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                                    that you would like (and
                                    I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                                    [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                                    the
                                    'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                                    'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                                    re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                                    -- and also the
                                    'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                                    in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                                    posting
                                    ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                                    ]

                                    Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                                    happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                                    Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                                    to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                                    -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                                    Composed and Posted by