Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

    Message 1 of 29 , May 30, 2007
      I really don't think anyone here objects to what you say is happening in your case... regarding you being judged. My thinking is/was (when I originally posted my questions), that... a person "passing" is (to my knowledge/understanding of the word) a person who willfully chooses to do so. I do agree that others can put us in "little boxes," classifying us in the way they/or society view us. It's definitely not fair, and usually not too accurate, but it's going to happen... whether we like it or not. The thing is... as Multiracial people, we need to stand up (together) and let people know, "Hey! You will not be deciding, for me, who I am and who I define myself to be!" That is for us to decide, and anyone who says different has lost their marbles-lol! It infuriates me to hear people say, they believe race relations, in this country, have improved. I just don't see it. I mean... sure... from the 60's and the Civil Rights Era, things have improved- but, not to what they should/could be. We still have a long way to go! If not for ourselves, for our children we need to take a stand. I have seen my son go through some pretty awful name-calling (racial) and turmoil. It shouldn't be that way... but, it is. The way people see us, though, will never change. People will think, say and do as they always have- the way they please. The difference is... unlike earlier times, when individuals felt they had no choice, but to "pass," we DO have a choice. I, for one, am NOT about to lie down and allow some misguided, ignorant people to determine, for me, who I am and what I want to do in life. I am who I am, and... unless I yield to their idiotic beliefs/or views of myself, I am in NO WAY allowing them to determine who/what I will become. I would've had a real rough time back in the 60's... when all this was going on. I just could not have sat back and allowed people to disrespect me/or degrade me to the point I felt I had no choice, but to "pass." I can only imagine how very horrific and difficult that period of time must've been for those people. I do see people today who feel as if they don't have a choice in the matter. Oh, but we DO!!! Stand up! Tell people who do this to you (label you) and make you feel badly about yourself that you aren't about to allow them to do that to you... that, you are who you are and there is no way you're going to allow them, or anyone else, to decide who you are/who you get to be. They may look at you like you're foolish, or even laugh in your face. You got your point across, though! They'll definitely think twice about approaching you with that nonsense in the future. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world we live in... nor will it be, until God makes that happen. Until then, we have to live with, interact with and tolerate people who do not like. I, too, used to get angry and think, "Yeah, right! What am I going to do to change how other's think about me? Nothing!" I used to feel like, "fighting the good fight" was not worth it. It is SOOOOOOOOO worth it!!! When you do your part, and stand true to who you are (no matter what others think of you!), you are setting an example for the youth of tomorrow... that they are special, they are strong and you can teach other people and educate them to their nonsense. It happens all the time! Take care and I hope you find peace in your own situation. Sincerely, Heather
    • osteoron
      Message 2 of 29 , May 30, 2007
        I understand.
        Ironically, the same issue presented today in my workplace.
        My coworker described my team as being a homogenous group of whites.
        I pointed out, again, "I consider myself bi-racial."
        While she apologized, she knew this about me, but still
        considers me to be 'who I appear to be' rather than 'who I am'.

        If I had a better term to use other than "passing",
        that may help to eliminate any confusion.

        I appreciate your thoughts.

        Message 3 of 29 , May 31, 2007
          Your coworker actually SAID THAT to you??? Oooooooooh, I would be mad! It sounds like you've given her ample opportunity to be respectful toward you, but she continues to feign ignorance. This is just my opinion, but... if I were you, I would tell your coworker exactly how you feel and that you will not tolerate any rudeness or foolishness on her part. Let her know that, if she doesn't "get it right," you will not hesitate to go to your superior- and, by all means, follow through with that, if need be! This is what I mean by "taking a stand." If you allow this coworker to continue treating you in such a blatantly disrespectful manner... what sort of message would you be sending her, and other coworkers? That it's o.k. for them to say or do anything toward you that they wish??? I'm sure that's not what you want. I'm sure... if you do a little investigating, the company you work for has some sort of anti-discriminatory policy in place- for situations like this. If not, now is the time to question why they don't have one. I truly feel for you. No one should have to endure the sort of humiliation that you've described! Hang in there and let us know how things go=) Sincerely, Heather
        • mulatta_loca

            Message 5 of 29 , May 31, 2007
              Hi Heather

              Thanks for the support.

              Surprisingly, I don't feel humiliated. I see this as her issue.
              I met with my supervisor and coworker today to discuss the issue.
              Unfortunately, when I spoke of my heritage and some of the
              cultural differences, the discussion did not go very well.
              I maintained that as a person of two cultures and
              two races people react to me and have expectations
              of me based on how I look rather than who I am.

              Sadly, I work in a profession that is supposed to be sensitive to
              cultural and racial issues, but this is proving not to be the case.

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2007
                That's terrible! I'm very sorry to hear that.
                Have you ever thought of a career change or, possibly, starting
                your own small business with the skills you currently have?
                I'm not sure what it is you do, but I'm sure that there are people
                out there who'd appreciate someone like you to work for/with them.
                Hang in there! Things will work out=)
                Just remember: no one- including you!- deserves to be humiliated
                and demeaned, based on something as superficial as race/heritage.
                That's just not right.
                Heather
              • osteoron
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Yes, I have thought of it.
                  And no, I wouldn't do that.

                  Thanks for the support though.

                  I work in the social services sector and I
                  wouldn't be able to do the work that I enjoy.
                  I am helping to help shape the community,
                  help others and at least make a small dent
                  in some of these issues from a grass roots
                  and political perspective by empowering
                  young people in the community.

                  It just sucks some days.

                • nacaomestica@nacaomestica.org
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                    The Brazilian culture and people traditionally
                    recognize Mixed identities, as of the 'Mulatto', the
                    'Cafuzo' (Native+Black) and the 'Caboclo' (Native+White).

                    However, the current leftist Brazilian government
                    (of the 'Party of the Workers' - 'Partido dos
                    Trabalhadores', PT) is undertaking a anti-Mestizo politics.

                    This politics is specily lead by racial movements
                    linked to the party of the president Lula who is
                    introducing the 'One Drop Rule' in the country.

                    The 'Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro'
                    ('Brazilian Mestizo Movement'), or
                    'Nação Mestiça' ('Mestizo Nation'),
                    was organized to defend the right of the
                    'Mestizos' to be identified as 'Mestizos'
                    (in Portuguese the word for
                    'Multiracial/Ethnic' is 'Mestiço').

                    The 'Mestizos' has been excluded of
                    the governmental politics and Mestizo
                    movement has been suffered persecutions.

                    We thank the Multi-Ethnic organizations help
                    us denounce this anti-'Mestizo' politics.

                    EUA
                    Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                    casamento inter-racial no país
                    1 de junho de 2007
                    AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans
                    e outras organizações
                    mestiças dos EUA estão preparando a Loving Decision Conference.
                    A conferência internacional faz parte das comemorações do 40.º
                    aniversário da Loving versus Virgínia (1967), a decisão da Suprema
                    Corte dos EUA que legalizou o casamento inter-racial nos EUA.
                    Informa a AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans que o evento
                    visar ser a primeira vez na história dos EUA que estarão reunidos
                    casais "inter-raciais", indivíduos "multi-raciais/étnicos" e
                    adotados "trans-raciais", além de políticos, educadores/estudantes,
                    celebridades, e organizações ativistas representativas de todas as
                    comunidades para tratar sobre a mestiçagem nos EUA.
                    O Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro foi convidado.
                    Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                    Communities
                    ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                    Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                    Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                    Página Inicial   Nosso Fórum / Nuestro Foro / Our Forum
                    Hemeroteca.
                    As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                    jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                    abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                    raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                    responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                    no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                    Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                    Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro
                    Todos os direitos reservados

                    www.nacaomestica.org
                  • c09981
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                      I never heard about this. What is their supposed rationale?

                      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                      Anti-Mestizo politics in Brazil

                      nacaomestica@...
                      <nacaomestica@...> wrote:

                      From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

[...]
                      A Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                      Communities ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                      Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                      Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                      Página Inicial Nosso Fórum /
                      Nuestro Foro / Our Forum Hemeroteca.
                      As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                      jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                      abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                      raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                      responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                      no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                      Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                      DENUNCIE A POLÍTICA DO GOVERNO BRASILEIRO CONTRA MESTIÇOS
                      DENUNCIE LA POLÍTICA DEL GOBIERNO BRASILEÑO CONTRA MESTIZOS
                      DENOUNCE THE POLICY OF THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT AGAINST MESTIZOS
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 5, 2007
                        There are various ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                        in Brazil --- of diverse lines of thought.

                        The Afro-descendant Movements in Brazil
                        traditionally liked the Miscegenation,
                        since the time of the slavery (abolished
                        in Brazil in 1888 by the Princess Isabel).

                        In the Black population there
                        is supporting for it – and in
                        traditional Black [-only] Movements.

                        The Brazilian culture distinguishes
                        a 'Mulatto' [person] from a 'Black'
                        [person] and [also] a 'White' [person].

                        In Brazil, 'White' is someone
                        who "looks" like to be a 'White'.

                        Colin Powell in Brazil would not
                        be considered a 'Black' [person]
                        by the absolute majority of the
                        Brazilians, but a 'Mulatto' [person].

                        A ‘Caboclo’ (Native + White) ...
                        is not seen as an ‘Indian’ –
                        a ‘Caboclo’, although he know to
                        descend of Aboriginals, he does
                        not have 'bonds or memory of' the
                        Native ethnic groups he descends.

                        Organized groups, various linked
                        to political parties, however, had
                        perceived that they could give a
                        character of ethnic and racial
                        conflict to the Brazilian chronic
                        social conflicts generated by poverty,
                        land and income concentration;
                        a claim of a population without-land
                        transformed into claim of a “ethnic group”
                        without-land could gain great force.

                        To divide the Brazilian territory between
                        "racial" groups started to be seen
                        as a way for the agrarian reform.

                        Some ones understood that would be necessary
                        to join ‘Mestizos', 'Mulattos’, ‘Cafuzos’ and
                        other ‘Mestizos’ (Afro-descendants) in the
                        ‘Black’ category to "unify" the Movement -
                        educating these -- to link themselves 'only'
                        to its African origins and to reject its
                        bond with the ‘White’; the cross-racial
                        ‘identity’, something strong in the
                        Brazilian culture, became an obstacle
                        for these groups – a motivation for
                        some of these groups have an aggressive
                        position against the 'Mestizo' Movement.

                        In Brazil, the Census Classifies the
                        Racial / Color groups in five Categories:
                        White (Branco), Black (Preto), Brown
                        (Pardo), Yellow (Amarelo) and Indian (Indio)
                        .

                        The ‘Pardos’ are 'Mestizos' of Intermediate
                        color between the 'White' and the 'Black' color.

                        ‘Black’ [-only] Movements linked to the government
                        had decided that Negro = ‘Black’ + ‘Brown’
                        (in Brazil, the ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                        call theirselves “Movimentos Negros”),
                        although many of these ‘Browns’ are a
                        Cross-Race of ‘Indians’ and not of ‘Blacks’.

                        This, however, is only one aspect.

                        Only for help (we don’t endorse
                        necessarily all the article), the
                        selections of the following text (from
                        http://www.brazzil.com/content/view/9656/78/ )
                        can help to explain other aspects:

                        Brazil Wants to Ban Mulattos

                        ... and Give Blacks an ID.

                        They Call This Progress

                        Janer Cristaldo

                        A stupidity cloud seems to hover over the
                        Brazilian National Congress these days.

                        Not that it would be easy to find any
                        intelligent cloud over the Congress.

                        But now there's a high concentration of stupidity and
                        the whole country is threatened with a stupidity rain.

                        Two projects, that intend to send Brazil two
                        centuries back are being discussed in Brasília.

                        One of them, by senator Paulo Paim, already
                        approved in the Senate, wants to send Brazil
                        ’back to the racist America of the America when
                        Jim Crow laws were in force ‘or perhaps to the ‘Hitlerist
                        Germany’ or even to the ‘South Africa of Apartheid’.

                        To be honest, I have nothing
                        new to say about the matter.

                        Since talks about quotas started I have
                        been denouncing this tactic adopted by
                        the Black [-only] Movements as something
                        that will only serve to stimulate racism.

                        The stupidity keeps moving on
                        with ever increasing audacity.

                        While before all we talked about were
                        quotas, senator Paim's project now
                        intends to identify Brazilians by
                        race, as it was … in Nazi Germany.

                        Is the stupidity being repeated?

                        This chronicler feels compelled to repeat himself.

                        I have already commented on the Statute
                        of Racial Equality, when I denounced
                        recently ‘the extinction of the Mulatto’.

                        With a stroke of a pen, the senator intends to
                        extirpate from the country's history the most
                        evident proof of the good racial conviviality.

                        The expedient is elementary.

                        As [full] ‘Black’ [people] comprise a mere 5.4 %
                        of the to call ‘Black’ the whole ‘Mulatto’ contingent,
                        which represents 39.9% of the population.

                        Give a little time and Brazil will be
                        defined as being for the most part-Black.

                        By the way, this is how the country is already
                        seen by many Americans and Europeans.

                        The intention is to adopt the American model,
                        ---- which does not ‘admit Miscegenation’.

                        It's either Black or White.

                        Some intellectuals, able to escape the herd
                        spirit that characterizes the species, presented
                        to the Congress a document with 114 signatures,
                        with arguments opposing the Statute and
                        the reserves required by racial quotas.

                        Right away the document was satanized as the
                        "White Elite's Manifesto," as if the mean White
                        men were interested in maintaining the Black
                        population far away from their territory.

                        The government, which since then
                        had been insisting on maintaining the
                        academic quotas, felt compelled to back out.

                        Now they are talking about social quotas.

                        (...)

                        The senator's project still anticipates the creation of
                        a special ID that will identify 'Black' people racially.

                        According to the statute, 'Black' [people] will
                        be required to carry their 'Black' ID card.

                        It's funny to observe that in past decades
                        the Black [-only] Movements had arrived at
                        the conclusion that "race" 'doesn't exist’.

                        Now it does exist and must appear in a document.

                        Since Whitening is quite generalized in Brazil,
                        perhaps a better solution would be to create
                        a tattoo or another very visible accessory,
                        like Hitler created in Germany …

                        If such monstrosity is approved this country
                        where miscegenation has always been the rule
                        will start to officially discriminate by race.

                        We are walking with large steps
                        towards a Black [-only] Nazism.

                        (...)

                        (...).

                        Janer Cristaldo - holds a Ph.D. from University of
                        Paris, Sorbonne - is an author, translator, lawyer,
                        phillosopher and journalist and lives in São Paulo.
                        Translated from the Portuguese by Arlindo Silva.

                        <nacaomestica@ nacaomestica. org> wrote:

                        From http://nacaomestica .org/noticia_ 070601_lovingdec ision.htm

[...]

                      • Rommel Santos
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 7, 2007
                          nacaomestica:

                          If you laid out the facts right, I must
                          say that the racist policy is definitely
                          unjust and contrary to human dignity.

                          You are probably right questioning the
                          current leftist government of Brazil.

                          How sad that a country that presents
                          itself as a model of racial tolerance takes
                          on a path contrary to its good reputation.

                          PS:

                          I take it you're Brazilian.
                          Well, I've been to a Brazilian restaurant
                          (which served churasco (did I spell it right?).
                          Boy, was it deeeeeeeee-licious! Exotic too.

                          Yours,
                          Rommel Santos

                        • docilechicken24
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 14, 2007
                            This is what confuses me.

                            The policy is unjust to Mixed race persons ability to 'identify'
                            otherwise from Afro-Brazillians, yet it sounds like the reasons
                            for doing it are to give them better access to opportunity within
                            Brazillian society that they don't really have right now.

                            I know in some people in my school went to Rio de Janeiro
                            (I am pretty sure that was the city at least)
                            and studied affirmative action that is being
                            experimented with in colleges cause the colleges
                            don't have dark-skinned Mulatto or Blacks in them.

                            If the Mulattoes and Blacks aren't united under one banner,
                            how could they implement a program like that, that is
                            giving them greater access to resources and opportunities.

                            I don't think it is a clear cut issues either way.

                            From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

                            EUA
                            Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                            casamento inter-racial no país1 de junho de 2007
                            A AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans e outras organizações
[...]

                          • eekmod
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 15, 2007
                              When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
                              I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
                              For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
                              I always pick according to my mood of the
                              day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

                              People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
                              These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
                              think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
                              of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

                              I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
                              says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 16, 2007

                                I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
                                People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
                                I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
                                Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
                                it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
                                It can be tiring "educating" people...
                                especially people who could really care less!
                                It's something that needs to be done, though.
                                Have a great day! Heather
                              • kier22_2
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 18, 2007
                                  Do it! get your teeshirt made.
                                  It does it tiring (lol) after a
                                  while having to explain yourself.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
                                    On 'Self-Definition'

                                    When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
                                    who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
                                    `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
                                    they have encountered – rather than out of some
                                    personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
                                    "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
                                    some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

                                    These conclusions are as follows:

                                    ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
                                    Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
                                    IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
                                    "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

                                    ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
                                    Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
                                    as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
                                    facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
                                    of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

                                    ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
                                    heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
                                    your ancestors went through (against their volition)
                                    and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
                                    order to pave the way for you to exist.

                                    ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
                                    (such as
                                    Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
                                    (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
                                    Multiracially-Mixed -–
                                    MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
                                    via their Parentage (such as people who are of
                                    First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
                                    parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
                                    many of the members of the group that today is generally
                                    referred to as
                                    'African-American ') ------- and that all
                                    of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
                                    `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
                                    and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
                                    and championing of proud and strong people'.

                                    ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
                                    are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
                                    or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
                                    the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
                                    – as
                                    does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
                                    features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

                                    *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
                                    the God-given right to choose their own individual
                                    `identity'
                                    with which they feel most comfortable --
                                    as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
                                    embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
                                    empowering than if the whole world also decided
                                    to affirm what one already knows to be true.

                                    Just a thought. ;;)

                                    Have a great day. :)

                                    Related Links:

                                    http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                                                -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
                                  • Connie Ware-Berg
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

                                      I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                                        Hi Connie,

                                        Thank you so much for you memo!!

                                        Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                                        that you would like (and
                                        I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                                        [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                                        the
                                        'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                                        'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                                        re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                                        -- and also the
                                        'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                                        in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                                        posting
                                        ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                                        ]

                                        Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                                        happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                                        Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                                        to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                                        -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                                        Composed and Posted by