Re: A note on 'Self-Definition'

    Message 1 of 29 , May 27, 2007
      I do understand what you're saying, about your situation
      (and - that, definitely, does not make it right... that you
      are treated in such a demeaning manner), but ... to my knowledge,
      "passing" refers to people who make/have made a conscious choice
      to do so because of circumstances beyond their control.
      Please, someone... correct me if I'm wrong?!
      Most of the stories and accounts I've read/have been told,
      in regards to "passing," have been from this viewpoint.
      I'd be interested to see/hear how others feel/think about this.
      Heather
    • osteoron
      Message 2 of 29 , May 27, 2007
        The film clips that have been posted are specific to my point.
        For anyone to pass, they must be accepted by the community as
        being that. A person who "passes" as White, must be given
        the acceptance of the White community for that person
        to be considered White regardless of the motivation or
        intention of the person with more than one heritage.

        No matter how much one might want to "pass", it is
        'the community' that decides if there is a 'pass'.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

        I do understand what you're saying, about your situation
        (and - that, definitely, does not make it right... that you
        are treated in such a demeaning manner), but ... to my knowledge,
        "passing" refers to people who make/have made a conscious choice
        to do so because of circumstances beyond their control.
        Please, someone... correct me if I'm wrong?!
        Most of the stories and accounts I've read/have been told,
        in regards to "passing," have been from this viewpoint.
        I'd be interested to see/hear how others feel/think about this.

        Heather
      • Your Highness The Queen
        Message 3 of 29 , May 28, 2007
          I understand how you feel in many ways.

          There are many who will "pass" me off as one thing or another.

          Once I had a friend whose mother always insisted I was White
          until one day she announced that her neighbor across the
          street argued with her severely, saying I was "black".

          The only great-grandfather I knew, my mother's mother's
          father, came to the United States from Norway.
          He was the eldest and patriarch of our family.
          Every year in January, for his birthday, we celebrated
          with a very Norwegian dinner of Lutefisk and Lefse.
          Although there were many other types of ancestry on my
          mothers side of things, the rest was almost overlooked,
          it was engrained into us about being Norwegian.

          The funny thing is later in life I moved to Minnesota
          (this was almost 30 years ago) where there are
          many people with Norwegian ancestry there.
          During the winter holidays, there are places serving
          lutefisk & lefse & this truly excited me because I
          hadn't had it since childhood & it had always been
          a treat (many people don't have a taste for it at all,
          but I loved it the way it had been made at home).
          I don't know why I thought I was
          going to rekindle my Norwegian roots.
          Every Minnesotan with Nordic lineage I told I was part
          Norwegian just about always gave me the same look of
          disbelief & said, "You don't look Norwegian at all."

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "osteoron" <osteoron@...> wrote:

          "Passing" is not a choice that I make.
          It is a choice that others make
          for me based on my appearance.
          People "pass" me for White based on an
          incorrect assessment of my lineage.
          Others exclude me from my other
          racial community because they do
          not "pass" me based on my appearance.
        • mulatta_loca
          Message 4 of 29 , May 29, 2007
            I think this boils down to a matter of semantics.
            I wouldn't use the word "passing" for what you're talking about.
            To me, "passing" is something a person does deliberately.
            It seems like you're describing other people 'labeling'
            you or making 'assumptions' about your race/ethnicity.

            Message 5 of 29 , May 29, 2007
              It seems then that you object to the
              notion that others would pass someone.
              There is, I would imagine, a sense of a loss of
              control if others are determining this for us.

              I cannot "pass" for Asian.
              My features are not prominent enough.

              Message 6 of 29 , May 30, 2007
                This was, really, my thought, as well.
                Don't know if I explained it that way, but this is what I meant=)
                Thanks! Heather
                Message 7 of 29 , May 30, 2007
                  I really don't think anyone here objects to what you say is happening in your case... regarding you being judged. My thinking is/was (when I originally posted my questions), that... a person "passing" is (to my knowledge/understanding of the word) a person who willfully chooses to do so. I do agree that others can put us in "little boxes," classifying us in the way they/or society view us. It's definitely not fair, and usually not too accurate, but it's going to happen... whether we like it or not. The thing is... as Multiracial people, we need to stand up (together) and let people know, "Hey! You will not be deciding, for me, who I am and who I define myself to be!" That is for us to decide, and anyone who says different has lost their marbles-lol! It infuriates me to hear people say, they believe race relations, in this country, have improved. I just don't see it. I mean... sure... from the 60's and the Civil Rights Era, things have improved- but, not to what they should/could be. We still have a long way to go! If not for ourselves, for our children we need to take a stand. I have seen my son go through some pretty awful name-calling (racial) and turmoil. It shouldn't be that way... but, it is. The way people see us, though, will never change. People will think, say and do as they always have- the way they please. The difference is... unlike earlier times, when individuals felt they had no choice, but to "pass," we DO have a choice. I, for one, am NOT about to lie down and allow some misguided, ignorant people to determine, for me, who I am and what I want to do in life. I am who I am, and... unless I yield to their idiotic beliefs/or views of myself, I am in NO WAY allowing them to determine who/what I will become. I would've had a real rough time back in the 60's... when all this was going on. I just could not have sat back and allowed people to disrespect me/or degrade me to the point I felt I had no choice, but to "pass." I can only imagine how very horrific and difficult that period of time must've been for those people. I do see people today who feel as if they don't have a choice in the matter. Oh, but we DO!!! Stand up! Tell people who do this to you (label you) and make you feel badly about yourself that you aren't about to allow them to do that to you... that, you are who you are and there is no way you're going to allow them, or anyone else, to decide who you are/who you get to be. They may look at you like you're foolish, or even laugh in your face. You got your point across, though! They'll definitely think twice about approaching you with that nonsense in the future. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world we live in... nor will it be, until God makes that happen. Until then, we have to live with, interact with and tolerate people who do not like. I, too, used to get angry and think, "Yeah, right! What am I going to do to change how other's think about me? Nothing!" I used to feel like, "fighting the good fight" was not worth it. It is SOOOOOOOOO worth it!!! When you do your part, and stand true to who you are (no matter what others think of you!), you are setting an example for the youth of tomorrow... that they are special, they are strong and you can teach other people and educate them to their nonsense. It happens all the time! Take care and I hope you find peace in your own situation. Sincerely, Heather
                • osteoron
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 30, 2007
                    I understand.
                    Ironically, the same issue presented today in my workplace.
                    My coworker described my team as being a homogenous group of whites.
                    I pointed out, again, "I consider myself bi-racial."
                    While she apologized, she knew this about me, but still
                    considers me to be 'who I appear to be' rather than 'who I am'.

                    If I had a better term to use other than "passing",
                    that may help to eliminate any confusion.

                    I appreciate your thoughts.

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 31, 2007
                      Your coworker actually SAID THAT to you??? Oooooooooh, I would be mad! It sounds like you've given her ample opportunity to be respectful toward you, but she continues to feign ignorance. This is just my opinion, but... if I were you, I would tell your coworker exactly how you feel and that you will not tolerate any rudeness or foolishness on her part. Let her know that, if she doesn't "get it right," you will not hesitate to go to your superior- and, by all means, follow through with that, if need be! This is what I mean by "taking a stand." If you allow this coworker to continue treating you in such a blatantly disrespectful manner... what sort of message would you be sending her, and other coworkers? That it's o.k. for them to say or do anything toward you that they wish??? I'm sure that's not what you want. I'm sure... if you do a little investigating, the company you work for has some sort of anti-discriminatory policy in place- for situations like this. If not, now is the time to question why they don't have one. I truly feel for you. No one should have to endure the sort of humiliation that you've described! Hang in there and let us know how things go=) Sincerely, Heather
                    • mulatta_loca

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 31, 2007
                          Hi Heather

                          Thanks for the support.

                          Surprisingly, I don't feel humiliated. I see this as her issue.
                          I met with my supervisor and coworker today to discuss the issue.
                          Unfortunately, when I spoke of my heritage and some of the
                          cultural differences, the discussion did not go very well.
                          I maintained that as a person of two cultures and
                          two races people react to me and have expectations
                          of me based on how I look rather than who I am.

                          Sadly, I work in a profession that is supposed to be sensitive to
                          cultural and racial issues, but this is proving not to be the case.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 1 6:45 AM
                            That's terrible! I'm very sorry to hear that.
                            Have you ever thought of a career change or, possibly, starting
                            your own small business with the skills you currently have?
                            I'm not sure what it is you do, but I'm sure that there are people
                            out there who'd appreciate someone like you to work for/with them.
                            Hang in there! Things will work out=)
                            Just remember: no one- including you!- deserves to be humiliated
                            and demeaned, based on something as superficial as race/heritage.
                            That's just not right.
                            Heather
                          • osteoron
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 2 7:38 AM
                              Yes, I have thought of it.
                              And no, I wouldn't do that.

                              Thanks for the support though.

                              I work in the social services sector and I
                              wouldn't be able to do the work that I enjoy.
                              I am helping to help shape the community,
                              help others and at least make a small dent
                              in some of these issues from a grass roots
                              and political perspective by empowering
                              young people in the community.

                              It just sucks some days.

                            • nacaomestica@nacaomestica.org
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 5 3:03 AM
                                The Brazilian culture and people traditionally
                                recognize Mixed identities, as of the 'Mulatto', the
                                'Cafuzo' (Native+Black) and the 'Caboclo' (Native+White).

                                However, the current leftist Brazilian government
                                (of the 'Party of the Workers' - 'Partido dos
                                Trabalhadores', PT) is undertaking a anti-Mestizo politics.

                                This politics is specily lead by racial movements
                                linked to the party of the president Lula who is
                                introducing the 'One Drop Rule' in the country.

                                The 'Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro'
                                ('Brazilian Mestizo Movement'), or
                                'Nação Mestiça' ('Mestizo Nation'),
                                was organized to defend the right of the
                                'Mestizos' to be identified as 'Mestizos'
                                (in Portuguese the word for
                                'Multiracial/Ethnic' is 'Mestiço').

                                The 'Mestizos' has been excluded of
                                the governmental politics and Mestizo
                                movement has been suffered persecutions.

                                We thank the Multi-Ethnic organizations help
                                us denounce this anti-'Mestizo' politics.

                                EUA
                                Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                                casamento inter-racial no país
                                1 de junho de 2007
                                AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans
                                e outras organizações
                                mestiças dos EUA estão preparando a Loving Decision Conference.
                                A conferência internacional faz parte das comemorações do 40.º
                                aniversário da Loving versus Virgínia (1967), a decisão da Suprema
                                Corte dos EUA que legalizou o casamento inter-racial nos EUA.
                                Informa a AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans que o evento
                                visar ser a primeira vez na história dos EUA que estarão reunidos
                                casais "inter-raciais", indivíduos "multi-raciais/étnicos" e
                                adotados "trans-raciais", além de políticos, educadores/estudantes,
                                celebridades, e organizações ativistas representativas de todas as
                                comunidades para tratar sobre a mestiçagem nos EUA.
                                O Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro foi convidado.
                                Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                                Communities
                                ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                                Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                                Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                                Página Inicial   Nosso Fórum / Nuestro Foro / Our Forum
                                Hemeroteca.
                                As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                                jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                                abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                                raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                                responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                                no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                                Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                                Movimento Pardo-Mestiço Brasileiro
                                Todos os direitos reservados

                                www.nacaomestica.org
                              • c09981
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 5 6:49 AM
                                  I never heard about this. What is their supposed rationale?

                                  In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

                                  Anti-Mestizo politics in Brazil

                                  nacaomestica@...
                                  <nacaomestica@...> wrote:

                                  From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

[...]
                                  A Loving Decision Conference 2007: The Next 40 Years of Multiracial
                                  Communities ocorrerá em Chicago, Illinois, de 21 a 24 de junho.
                                  Eventos comemorativos também ocorrerão em Nova Iorque, Portland,
                                  Berkeley, Los Angeles, Seattle e outras cidades.

                                  Página Inicial Nosso Fórum /
                                  Nuestro Foro / Our Forum Hemeroteca.
                                  As páginas de divulgação de artigos e materiais e textos
                                  jornalísticos, já publicadas por outras instituições, que
                                  abordam temas e fatos relacionados a assuntos étnicos e
                                  raciais e o conteúdo e as opiniões neles expostos são de
                                  responsabilidade de seus autores, não necessariamente expressando
                                  no todo ou em parte opiniões ou posicionamentos do Nação Mestiça.

                                  Textos assinados são de inteira responsabilidade de seus autores.
                                  DENUNCIE A POLÍTICA DO GOVERNO BRASILEIRO CONTRA MESTIÇOS
                                  DENUNCIE LA POLÍTICA DEL GOBIERNO BRASILEÑO CONTRA MESTIZOS
                                  DENOUNCE THE POLICY OF THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT AGAINST MESTIZOS
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 5 9:35 PM
                                    There are various ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                                    in Brazil --- of diverse lines of thought.

                                    The Afro-descendant Movements in Brazil
                                    traditionally liked the Miscegenation,
                                    since the time of the slavery (abolished
                                    in Brazil in 1888 by the Princess Isabel).

                                    In the Black population there
                                    is supporting for it – and in
                                    traditional Black [-only] Movements.

                                    The Brazilian culture distinguishes
                                    a 'Mulatto' [person] from a 'Black'
                                    [person] and [also] a 'White' [person].

                                    In Brazil, 'White' is someone
                                    who "looks" like to be a 'White'.

                                    Colin Powell in Brazil would not
                                    be considered a 'Black' [person]
                                    by the absolute majority of the
                                    Brazilians, but a 'Mulatto' [person].

                                    A ‘Caboclo’ (Native + White) ...
                                    is not seen as an ‘Indian’ –
                                    a ‘Caboclo’, although he know to
                                    descend of Aboriginals, he does
                                    not have 'bonds or memory of' the
                                    Native ethnic groups he descends.

                                    Organized groups, various linked
                                    to political parties, however, had
                                    perceived that they could give a
                                    character of ethnic and racial
                                    conflict to the Brazilian chronic
                                    social conflicts generated by poverty,
                                    land and income concentration;
                                    a claim of a population without-land
                                    transformed into claim of a “ethnic group”
                                    without-land could gain great force.

                                    To divide the Brazilian territory between
                                    "racial" groups started to be seen
                                    as a way for the agrarian reform.

                                    Some ones understood that would be necessary
                                    to join ‘Mestizos', 'Mulattos’, ‘Cafuzos’ and
                                    other ‘Mestizos’ (Afro-descendants) in the
                                    ‘Black’ category to "unify" the Movement -
                                    educating these -- to link themselves 'only'
                                    to its African origins and to reject its
                                    bond with the ‘White’; the cross-racial
                                    ‘identity’, something strong in the
                                    Brazilian culture, became an obstacle
                                    for these groups – a motivation for
                                    some of these groups have an aggressive
                                    position against the 'Mestizo' Movement.

                                    In Brazil, the Census Classifies the
                                    Racial / Color groups in five Categories:
                                    White (Branco), Black (Preto), Brown
                                    (Pardo), Yellow (Amarelo) and Indian (Indio)
                                    .

                                    The ‘Pardos’ are 'Mestizos' of Intermediate
                                    color between the 'White' and the 'Black' color.

                                    ‘Black’ [-only] Movements linked to the government
                                    had decided that Negro = ‘Black’ + ‘Brown’
                                    (in Brazil, the ‘Black’ [-only] Movements
                                    call theirselves “Movimentos Negros”),
                                    although many of these ‘Browns’ are a
                                    Cross-Race of ‘Indians’ and not of ‘Blacks’.

                                    This, however, is only one aspect.

                                    Only for help (we don’t endorse
                                    necessarily all the article), the
                                    selections of the following text (from
                                    http://www.brazzil.com/content/view/9656/78/ )
                                    can help to explain other aspects:

                                    Brazil Wants to Ban Mulattos

                                    ... and Give Blacks an ID.

                                    They Call This Progress

                                    Janer Cristaldo

                                    A stupidity cloud seems to hover over the
                                    Brazilian National Congress these days.

                                    Not that it would be easy to find any
                                    intelligent cloud over the Congress.

                                    But now there's a high concentration of stupidity and
                                    the whole country is threatened with a stupidity rain.

                                    Two projects, that intend to send Brazil two
                                    centuries back are being discussed in Brasília.

                                    One of them, by senator Paulo Paim, already
                                    approved in the Senate, wants to send Brazil
                                    ’back to the racist America of the America when
                                    Jim Crow laws were in force ‘or perhaps to the ‘Hitlerist
                                    Germany’ or even to the ‘South Africa of Apartheid’.

                                    To be honest, I have nothing
                                    new to say about the matter.

                                    Since talks about quotas started I have
                                    been denouncing this tactic adopted by
                                    the Black [-only] Movements as something
                                    that will only serve to stimulate racism.

                                    The stupidity keeps moving on
                                    with ever increasing audacity.

                                    While before all we talked about were
                                    quotas, senator Paim's project now
                                    intends to identify Brazilians by
                                    race, as it was … in Nazi Germany.

                                    Is the stupidity being repeated?

                                    This chronicler feels compelled to repeat himself.

                                    I have already commented on the Statute
                                    of Racial Equality, when I denounced
                                    recently ‘the extinction of the Mulatto’.

                                    With a stroke of a pen, the senator intends to
                                    extirpate from the country's history the most
                                    evident proof of the good racial conviviality.

                                    The expedient is elementary.

                                    As [full] ‘Black’ [people] comprise a mere 5.4 %
                                    of the to call ‘Black’ the whole ‘Mulatto’ contingent,
                                    which represents 39.9% of the population.

                                    Give a little time and Brazil will be
                                    defined as being for the most part-Black.

                                    By the way, this is how the country is already
                                    seen by many Americans and Europeans.

                                    The intention is to adopt the American model,
                                    ---- which does not ‘admit Miscegenation’.

                                    It's either Black or White.

                                    Some intellectuals, able to escape the herd
                                    spirit that characterizes the species, presented
                                    to the Congress a document with 114 signatures,
                                    with arguments opposing the Statute and
                                    the reserves required by racial quotas.

                                    Right away the document was satanized as the
                                    "White Elite's Manifesto," as if the mean White
                                    men were interested in maintaining the Black
                                    population far away from their territory.

                                    The government, which since then
                                    had been insisting on maintaining the
                                    academic quotas, felt compelled to back out.

                                    Now they are talking about social quotas.

                                    (...)

                                    The senator's project still anticipates the creation of
                                    a special ID that will identify 'Black' people racially.

                                    According to the statute, 'Black' [people] will
                                    be required to carry their 'Black' ID card.

                                    It's funny to observe that in past decades
                                    the Black [-only] Movements had arrived at
                                    the conclusion that "race" 'doesn't exist’.

                                    Now it does exist and must appear in a document.

                                    Since Whitening is quite generalized in Brazil,
                                    perhaps a better solution would be to create
                                    a tattoo or another very visible accessory,
                                    like Hitler created in Germany …

                                    If such monstrosity is approved this country
                                    where miscegenation has always been the rule
                                    will start to officially discriminate by race.

                                    We are walking with large steps
                                    towards a Black [-only] Nazism.

                                    (...)

                                    (...).

                                    Janer Cristaldo - holds a Ph.D. from University of
                                    Paris, Sorbonne - is an author, translator, lawyer,
                                    phillosopher and journalist and lives in São Paulo.
                                    Translated from the Portuguese by Arlindo Silva.

                                    <nacaomestica@ nacaomestica. org> wrote:

                                    From http://nacaomestica .org/noticia_ 070601_lovingdec ision.htm

[...]

                                  • Rommel Santos
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 7 8:36 PM
                                      nacaomestica:

                                      If you laid out the facts right, I must
                                      say that the racist policy is definitely
                                      unjust and contrary to human dignity.

                                      You are probably right questioning the
                                      current leftist government of Brazil.

                                      How sad that a country that presents
                                      itself as a model of racial tolerance takes
                                      on a path contrary to its good reputation.

                                      PS:

                                      I take it you're Brazilian.
                                      Well, I've been to a Brazilian restaurant
                                      (which served churasco (did I spell it right?).
                                      Boy, was it deeeeeeeee-licious! Exotic too.

                                      Yours,
                                      Rommel Santos

                                    • docilechicken24
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 14 9:32 AM
                                        This is what confuses me.

                                        The policy is unjust to Mixed race persons ability to 'identify'
                                        otherwise from Afro-Brazillians, yet it sounds like the reasons
                                        for doing it are to give them better access to opportunity within
                                        Brazillian society that they don't really have right now.

                                        I know in some people in my school went to Rio de Janeiro
                                        (I am pretty sure that was the city at least)
                                        and studied affirmative action that is being
                                        experimented with in colleges cause the colleges
                                        don't have dark-skinned Mulatto or Blacks in them.

                                        If the Mulattoes and Blacks aren't united under one banner,
                                        how could they implement a program like that, that is
                                        giving them greater access to resources and opportunities.

                                        I don't think it is a clear cut issues either way.

                                        From http://nacaomestica.org/noticia_070601_lovingdecision.htm

                                        EUA
                                        Mestiços dos EUA comemoram legalização do
                                        casamento inter-racial no país1 de junho de 2007
                                        A AMEA - Association of MultiEthnic Americans e outras organizações
[...]

                                      • eekmod
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 15 4:29 PM
                                          When people call me for phone surveys, they always ask for my race and
                                          I always say, "Mixed," which confounds them. There's no box to check!
                                          For some reason, these surveyors don't even have an "other" box.
                                          I always pick according to my mood of the
                                          day: Asian or White. But it's annoying.

                                          People used to ask me if I was "Mixed."
                                          These days I must look less "Mixed," because now people
                                          think I am White and tired looking due to the Asian-ness
                                          of my eyes and the way my eyelids have always been.

                                          I am thinking of getting a T-shirt made that
                                          says, "I'm not tired, I am half-Asian."
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 16 8:02 AM

                                            I love the T-shirt idea- lololol=)
                                            People can be so ignorant! I know what you mean.
                                            I LOOK just white, so therefore people consider me just white.
                                            Now that I know the full truth of my heritage, I make
                                            it a point to correct anyone who thinks otherwise.
                                            It can be tiring "educating" people...
                                            especially people who could really care less!
                                            It's something that needs to be done, though.
                                            Have a great day! Heather
                                          • kier22_2
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 18 7:05 AM
                                              Do it! get your teeshirt made.
                                              It does it tiring (lol) after a
                                              while having to explain yourself.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
                                                On 'Self-Definition'

                                                When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
                                                who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
                                                `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
                                                they have encountered – rather than out of some
                                                personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
                                                "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
                                                some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

                                                These conclusions are as follows:

                                                ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
                                                Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
                                                IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
                                                "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

                                                ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
                                                Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
                                                as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
                                                facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
                                                of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

                                                ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
                                                heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
                                                your ancestors went through (against their volition)
                                                and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
                                                order to pave the way for you to exist.

                                                ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
                                                (such as
                                                Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
                                                (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
                                                Multiracially-Mixed -–
                                                MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
                                                via their Parentage (such as people who are of
                                                First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
                                                parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
                                                many of the members of the group that today is generally
                                                referred to as
                                                'African-American ') ------- and that all
                                                of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
                                                `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
                                                and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
                                                and championing of proud and strong people'.

                                                ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
                                                are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
                                                or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
                                                the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
                                                – as
                                                does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
                                                features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

                                                *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
                                                the God-given right to choose their own individual
                                                `identity'
                                                with which they feel most comfortable --
                                                as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
                                                embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
                                                empowering than if the whole world also decided
                                                to affirm what one already knows to be true.

                                                Just a thought. ;;)

                                                Have a great day. :)

                                                Related Links:

                                                http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                                                            -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
                                              • Connie Ware-Berg
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

                                                  I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
                                                    Hi Connie,

                                                    Thank you so much for you memo!!

                                                    Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
                                                    that you would like (and
                                                    I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

                                                    [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
                                                    the
                                                    'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
                                                    'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
                                                    re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

                                                    -- and also the
                                                    'Contact'  information to my email address (just
                                                    in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
                                                    posting
                                                    ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
                                                    ]

                                                    Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
                                                    happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

                                                    Have a wonderful day -- and continue
                                                    to always 'stay true' to who you are!

                                                    -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

[...]

                                                    Composed and Posted by