Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: When you pass

Expand Messages
  • Wendy Arimah
    Just curious, with all this talk of passing, I assume it s in reference to passing for white , correct? What about those who pass for black ? ... I ask
    Message 1 of 24 , May 26, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Just curious, with all this talk of passing,
      I assume it's in reference to
      passing for 'white', correct?

      What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...

      I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ...
      had all the characteristics ... of a Black woman.
      She was darker than Oprah ...

      One day, during a discussion, she mentioned
      the fact that she had White in her family.
      She then showed me a picture of her mother.
      She was the splitting image of her mother,
      except for one thing: her mother was White.
      Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White.

      To say the least, I was shocked.
      All I could do was say 'WOW'.
      All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
    • kier22_2
      Thank You Mulatta Loca! Bobby, we all have had enough people passing judgments on us in our everyday lives. Non of us came here for that. I am sure you know a
      Message 2 of 24 , May 26, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Thank You Mulatta Loca!

        Bobby, we all have had enough people
        passing judgments on us in our everyday
        lives. Non of us came here for that.
        I am sure you know a lot about a lot of
        things but who WE are Who / how WE should
        classify ourselves is not one of them.


        K.



        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@... > wrote:



        Bobby, I am not seeking an identity which will meet everyone's
        approval, nor did I in anyway state or imply that I am.
        I really don't understand the basis for your comments.
        I am simply asking you to stop dictating to
        people how they should define themselves.



        Bobby naylor <rolyan7@... > wrote:



        If anyone took offense, well I apologize.

        As for Hispanic, which I am, and from the Caribbean.
        We also call ourselves Creoles. This depends where in
        Latin America you are. Hispanics are also from Brazil,
        the Spanish islands. Some people also say Haiti.
        I am Mix of European, Negro and far back Native Indian.
        I am a stereotypical what some people call Latin.
        My features are sharp and have wavy brown hair.
        There is no such thing as "you look spanish"
        Some of you have to come to Latin America!
        Mexico also had BLACK slaves brought there many years
        ago,many are absorbed into the predominant Mestizo pop.
        In Mexico, Mulatto and Mestizo are Creoles.

        Furthermore, I am not telling people what to call themselves,
        this is how a majority of us in the Latin-speaking countries
        identify ourselves. This part of the world (Caribbean & Latin
        America) has the most Interacially Mixed people than anywhere else.
        So I have to wonder what is the big deal, [I feel] if your
        racial features, your ,hair, body type resemble that of
        one of your DOMINANT ancestors, then that is what you are!.
        That is the definition of race after all, even in America.
        Some Americans make a big deal and seem so confused
        about what they are. Just ask a Latino (any race)
        (Mulatto, Haitians) we are comfortable what we are.

        Sorry again if any offense taken, was not my intention!

        Its just that saying you are Creole is sooo much simplier.
        Creoles can be also White and Brown.
        If a Mulatto marries White and the offspring are White,
        they can still be White Creoles, just as 2 Mulattos
        (Mixed Black & White) = a Mulatto or Creole (same).
        Some say Creoles can be Negroes. True.
        The most recognized definition in the Latin
        world and America is a Mixed-Race person.
        I am a Latino and Creole, even though my skin is White.

        One more thing, 'some' Latinos [who] are
        racist, are the truly confused of all.
        The reason is most of us are of multiple
        racial backgrounds. A lot of us tend to
        idolize the Eurpoean ways and totally
        ignore the fact that we also
        have a Black/African background.

        I repect all people regardless of their heritage.
        Sorry if I strayed too much off the subject.
        Good luck in seeking an identity
        that satifies everyones approval.


        Rosanna Armendariz <rosanna_armendariz@... >wrote:


        Rolyan, the majority of "Hispanics" are Mestizo, which is a mixture
        of indigenous peoples and Spanish conquerors. Therefore, many
        Latinos consider themselves to be of a distinct racial group.
        And as for the one drop rule, a person doesn't have to abide by
        that to acknowledge all parts of their ancestry. It seems to me
        you're saying that if a person "looks white," then they should
        identify as white even if they are half black. Many mixed-race
        people would not be in agreement with this philosophy.
        It's not a matter of having to follow the "slave master's
        one drop rule;" rather, many people want to acknowledge the
        diversity of their background rather than "pass" for white.
        Please stop telling people how to identify themselves!
      • Heather
        Hi, Kryston=) Nice to hear that someone thinks like I do-lol=) It s sad that people think things like that, but... they re out there! I agree, when you said it
        Message 3 of 24 , May 26, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi, Kryston=)

          Nice to hear that someone thinks like I do-lol=)
          It's sad that people think things
          like that, but... they're out there!
          I agree, when you said it takes too much energy to
          "fight" (or, try to educate) people like that... people
          that wish we'd just concede to other people's views of us.
          I have never, nor will I ever, be that type of person!
          My mom has always said, I've had a
          "hard head" and that I am very stubborn=)
          Sometimes it comes in handy to be that way, though.
          I can't imagine being the type of person who
          conforms to everything someone says or
          thinks =( Grrrrrrrrrrr. Definitely not me!
          When I began dating- especially, dating guys who
          don't look like me (lol)- I knew my life was going
          to be a little tougher ... tougher than if I were
          just to be a "good girl" and do what society
          (and some people in my family) wanted me to do, and
          that is not to date anyone other than the way I LOOKED.
          Trying to explain myself as a teen was bad enough,
          then- as an adult- well... it's not much easier.
          I've just grown a lot (physically, emotionally and mentally),
          so I'm better equipped to deal with the ignorance.
          Like I said... it was tough enough for me as a kid.
          Then, I look at my beautiful (o.k... handsome=), teenage
          son (whose skin color is much darker than my own), who
          has done nothing to hurt anyone in the world... and, I
          truly understand just how difficult it can really be (and is).
          I have a deep faith and I know, that... despite the fact that the
          world in which we live, today, will probably never change- nor most
          of the people in the world- I truly believe that there will be a
          time when none of us will even have to worry about things like this.
          The "trouble-makers" and the people who make this
          world the way it is ... I don't think we'll have to
          worry about people like that. That's how it should be=)
          Anyhow- thanks for your support, and comments! Take care!!!

          Sincerely, Heather



          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          KRYSTON PEARCE <krystonp@...> wrote:



          Hi Heather,

          Just wanted to say i completely and totally
          agree with you. Thank you for your boldness.
          I never thought there would be such an issue
          on a web site for Multiracial/Biracial people.
          I refuse to let people 'define' me.
          It seems like on every site that I've been on for
          Multiracials, there was always someone or a few who
          have said something similar to the statement that was
          made about 'whatever your dominant features are that's the
          race you should pick or that we are however society sees us'.
          I'm not sure why such people are even on a site such as this.
          Hmmm. Anyway, just wanted to support you.
          When I see arguments break out on foolishness,
          I generally take a step back and not write anything.
          I truly don't have the time nor patience to argue
          about how we should all 'identify' ourselves.
          I'd like to discuss things like how beautiful are and
          'how rich all of our heritages are, how to deal with the
          "what are you?" question, share our experiences, etc etc.
          To continue to try and defend our 'identity' against others
          is such a waste of time, when we can be helping one another.
          As a child, I would've given anything to have a site to go
          to,to ask questions, make friends and share my experiences.
          There are some Mixed people who do 'identify'
          as one race, and that is fine for them.
          But in no way, they should ever try and push other Mixed
          people to 'choose one' race. They don't have that right.
          We have the right to choose what we want for ourselves.

          Krysalexp



          Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:



          I agree, 100 percent!

          I, personally, could care less what society "classifies"
          me as (in their warped minds- remember: the SAME
          society that does not accept Multiracial people
          and their identities, in the first place!!!).
          I AM WHO I AM... regardless of what ANYONE "sees" me as!
          It's all nice and well, to say that we're who we are based on the
          "dominant" race in our backgrounds (which, if that's truly the case
          ... why, on earth, aren't people who are "predominantly" white,
          black, asian [you fill in the "race" here] identified-
          by themselves, as well as society- by being that,
          specific race... and ONLY that race?), but the
          TRUTH is a whole lot... well... HONEST to deal with.
          There's is NO WAY that, because you think I "look white"
          that I would agree with you, for one second, that that
          is who I am... and ONLY who I am!!! That is CRAZY!!!!!
          If that were the case, then... why are we all members of a group
          that identifies us as "Multiracial?" Why don't we just "accept"
          whatever ignorant labels society, the government, etc. puts on us???
          Because, like me, I am NOT one "race" and am not about to allow
          ANYONE to put me in this neat, little box and say,
          "You are who I think you are." How narrowminded
          (forget dishonest!) Do you really think that is? VERY!!!!!
          As far as my son goes... well... I take the way
          people "identify" him very seriously as well!
          If I, as his parent, "accept" that some people see him /
          classify him as black mixed (which term, I feel, is degrading),
          mexican, indian or ONLY one "race," what kind of message does
          that send a young, impressionable child? Stupidity, for one!!!
          Again... I could CARE LESS what narrow-minded, ignorant people think
          (in general=), so I will continue to fight ridiculous stereotypes
          like this and identify ourselves as the people we TRULY are
          (in my case ... "biracial" [white, Native American] and in my
          son's ... "multiracial" [white, black- which, technically,
          is at the very least "biracial"-, Native American]).
          I pity people who live life being delusional, both, to themselves
          and to society. Why hide part (ANY PART) of your identity?
          That's the reason (or, at least, part of it) that people think
          these dishonest, demeaning stereotypes (about themselves, and
          other people in the world) and actually believe them. That's sad!
          Anyhow... I am who I am (regardless of what anyone else thinks
          or believes) and I will forever go on living my life being
          honest about who I am and who my son is, in a small effort
          to help change beliefs and ignorances such as these.

          Heather
        • multiracialbookclub
          Speaking of Passing for Black ... here are some related links: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/2618
          Message 4 of 24 , May 26, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Speaking of "Passing for Black" ... here are some related links:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/2618
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/2619
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/2617


            Here are some links in regards to the racist One Drop Rule:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/2511
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1417
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/641


            Here are just a few examples of various Mixed-Race Types:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1570
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1573



            Wendy Arimah <trinidadsvoice@...> wrote:



            Just curious, with all this talk of passing, 
            I assume it's in reference to 
            passing for 'white', correct? 
             
            What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...
             
            I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ... had all 
            the characteristics ... of a black woman. She was darker 
            than Oprah (without the lights and heavy foundation) ...
             
            One day, during a discussion, she mentioned 
            the fact that she had White in her family. 
            She then showed me a picture of her mother. 
            She was the splitting image of her mother, 
            except for one thing: her mother was White. 
            Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White. 
             
            To say the least, I was shocked. 
            All I could do was say 'WOW'. 
            All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
          • Sonya Tang
            Wendy, I agree with you completely. It seems as though most people on here are concentrating on who passes for white, but are forgetting to mention the other
            Message 5 of 24 , May 26, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Wendy,

              I agree with you completely.
              It seems as though most people on here are
              concentrating on who passes for "white,"
              but are forgetting to mention the
              other perceived races as well.
              For me, being a naturally born and raised Trinidadian
              (not to be confused with race, because a nationality does
              NOT define one's race, Trinidad is a multi-racial country),
              and then immigrating the the United States, I am
              highly aware of the high level of stereotyping
              that goes on here in the United States.
              For example, whenever I meet someone new for the first time
              here in the U.S, they would automatically TELL me that I
              must be from India because my race looks that of Indian.
              Firstly, a race can NEVER define what
              country you are born and raised.
              Yes, I may have East Indian RACE in me, but my NATIONALITY
              is that of Trinidadian (for those of you who don't know
              where Trinidad is, it is located in the Caribbean).
              Secondly, I also have Chinese race in me.
              My mother is of east indian and my father is of
              chinese, but we are all nationals of Trinidad and Tobago.
              When I tell a lot of my American friends that I also have Chinese
              in me, they look shocked, because they only see the Indian in me.
              I have a good friend who is living in the
              U.S but was born and raised in India.
              She is a very fair complexioned Indian (almost to that of White).
              Whenever she tells someone here in the U.S that
              she is from India, most of them don't believe
              her because her skin is so light complexioned.
              If anyone knows anything about India, they should
              know that Indians vary in complexions, from that
              of White skin to darker Brown skin tones.
              Furthermore, a lot of Indians in India have naturally
              blue, green, and hazel eyes. AND there are many
              other races of people living in India too!
              People often ask my friend if she had
              grown up in poverty and villages.
              This is yet another stereotype which many Americans I have met
              hold. No, the rest of the world is not entirely in poverty.
              There are rich, middle income, and poor people
              in India, as well as other countries.
              I think that media (particularly in the U.S), distort the
              minds of individuals living here, backing up the perceived
              notion that one's race defines one's nationality, and
              concentrating on only the poverty and uneducated people in
              third world countries, yet disregarding the fact that there
              are MANY well-off, educated people in those countries as well.
              This is one reason why I'd like to try to change
              these stereotypes by appealing to media and other
              forms of communication about these issues.
              Anyway, sorry to run off track, but I do believe what you say is
              true Wendy, and I hope that others can understand this stance.
              Thank you, and God Bless everyone!! :-)



              Wendy Arimah <trinidadsvoice@...> wrote:


              Just curious, with all this talk of passing,
              I assume it's in reference to
              passing for 'white', correct?

              What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...

              I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ...
              had all the characteristics ... of a Black woman.
              She was darker than Oprah ...

              One day, during a discussion, she mentioned
              the fact that she had White in her family.
              She then showed me a picture of her mother.
              She was the splitting image of her mother,
              except for one thing: her mother was White.
              Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White.

              To say the least, I was shocked.
              All I could do was say 'WOW'.
              All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
            • Heather
              Hi! I m glad you brought this up. I was thinking the same thing ... just didn t say it=) I always wonder why people don t address this side of passing, as
              Message 6 of 24 , May 26, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi!

                I'm glad you brought this up. I was thinking
                the same thing ... just didn't say it=)
                I always wonder why people don't address
                this side of "passing," as well.
                What's the difference anyway?
                It's all the same, in my opinion.
                I can't imagine it to be any less difficult
                for one side or the other (white, black, etc.).
                I think it's just more common for us to
                hear that black people pass as white,
                so we just don't hear about the rest.
                That's unfortunate, too, because... that
                leads many people to believe (misleadingly)
                that the only people who "pass" are black.
                Soooo not true.
                I, too, saw Oprah's show
                and I, too, was surprised.
                Glad to see that there's
                another side to things, though.
                I suppose... if anyone would
                bring it out, it would be Oprah-lol=)

                Heather




                In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                Wendy Arimah <trinidadsvoice@...> wrote:



                Just curious, with all this talk of passing,
                I assume it's in reference to
                passing for 'white', correct?

                What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...

                I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ... had all
                the characteristics ... of a black woman. She was darker
                than Oprah (without the lights and heavy foundation) ...

                One day, during a discussion, she mentioned
                the fact that she had White in her family.
                She then showed me a picture of her mother.
                She was the splitting image of her mother,
                except for one thing: her mother was White.
                Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White.

                To say the least, I was shocked.
                All I could do was say 'WOW'.
                All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
              • osteoron
                This went off topic for me. I used the term passing and for caucasian from the perspective of the concept of white privilege . My name and my look provides
                Message 7 of 24 , May 26, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  This went off topic for me.

                  I used the term "passing" and for caucasian from
                  the perspective of the concept of "white privilege".
                  My name and my look provides certain privileges in
                  society that I don't believe are fair to others.
                  I have seen others with different looks and different
                  names (which can identity a person's ethical or
                  racial mixture) in very unacceptable ways.
                  Even though they share a similar heritage to my own.

                  In addition to the privilege that I receive,
                  I also receive much racism including
                  that directed to my own heritage.

                  I always get a cab. I always get service in stores.
                  I always get treated with deference. I have witnessed
                  otherwise with people with the same racial mixture as my own.

                  .
                • osteoron
                  I raised the issue in this way for specific reasons. For example, there is a small Asian community in my workplace. They are left alone, they are not treated
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 26, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I raised the issue in this
                    way for specific reasons.

                    For example, there is a small
                    Asian community in my workplace.
                    They are left alone, they are not treated
                    badly as they are seen as different.
                    I view this to be a form of discrimination.
                    As someone who "passes" I am expected to conform
                    to how the larger White community in my workplace
                    functions including holding similar beliefs.
                    Whereas my belief system is closer to the
                    Buddhist nature of my asian ancestry.

                    I have never been denied a promotion or salary
                    increase because of my name and my look, however,
                    it is almost unheard of for my fellow Mixed
                    racial coworkers to assume positions of power in
                    the workplace and increase their earning potential.

                    By contrast, I am often considered "gwy lo" by those
                    in the Asian Community as I do not look like they do.

                    I do not "pass" in that community as Asian.
                  • fayem fayem
                    hello....question for those who have multiorigin and coming from other country,....the first time in the US, me i was surprised to have to say what was my
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 26, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      hello....question for those who have multiorigin
                      and coming from other country,....the first time
                      in the US, me i was surprised to have to say
                      what was my ethnic group for filling the paper
                      of my new job here....there was ...american...
                      white american..afri american etc....
                      i wanted to add in the bottom Human from
                      planet earth..lol but it s too frenchy to
                      do that on a american administrative paper.
                      but they ask you that eevery where?
                      never saw that in europe.

                      My english is not very good but if i understood
                      you you were all tlaking about people who
                      tryed to guess where you are from
                      based on what you look like in america?
                      i noticed that when i came....but I think (as a mixed
                      cultured) , i feel surprised sometimes but it is not
                      because they want to be sometimes too polite?

                      like yesterday, for my new job, someone ask
                      me where are u from because here in the US
                      i look like a latino with a curiuous french accent,
                      and i sais and benin in africa and france...and
                      she said woww so you speak french and african?
                      i said yes to be polite too because i did not not
                      know how she will feel if i add that there hundred
                      of languages in africa....but the guy next to her
                      american also started laughing and said joking
                      " hey miss Africa is a continent...." and she laught
                      and and joke also calling herself stupid. so finally i
                      was think that she just wanted to be poilite too quicly
                      .....so sometimes it s what people said is
                      just an other way to say be curoius ...
                      so now it does not surprise me like the first time.

                      and other question question of a curious
                      1/2 french ......what is the story behind
                      the french chic as a facial characteritic?
                      i read that somewhere in one of your post..
                      I heard about the french fries and bread
                      and butter ...but never about that.

                      And last question
                      lol..do you understand my english...
                      i am not sure if i am doing a good translation...its
                      more easy to explain how an aircraft fly in english...
                    • Cheylenna Pj
                      I have been told I have French cheekbones. Supposedly French cheekbones are higher, fuller and more prominent than other types of people. I have a feeling
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 28, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I have been told I have French cheekbones.
                        Supposedly French cheekbones are higher, fuller
                        and more prominent than other types of people.

                        I have a feeling perhaps that comes from the
                        Moorish who went into Europe centuries ago.

                        You can see my pic on my y360 blog
                        http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-4wdlh.o9epn6zqWXpLQXyUs-;_ylt=AuT0V9sTzx_6vzeZ_y0uIQ20AOJ3?cq=1

                        Also, no worries on the "human" race box.
                        I often write that in on the box for
                        other & on very official applications
                        or forms as well, given the right mood.



                        fayem fayem <fayem2006@...> wrote:



                        hello....question for those who have multiorigin
                        and coming from other country,....the first time
                        in the US, me i was surprised to have to say
                        what was my ethnic group for filling the paper
                        of my new job here....there was ...american...
                        white american..afri american etc....
                        i wanted to add in the bottom Human from
                        planet earth..lol but it s too frenchy to do
                        that on a american administrative paper.
                        but they ask you that eevery where?
                        never saw that in europe.

                        My english is not very good but if i understood
                        you you were all tlaking about people who
                        tryed to guess where you are from
                        based on what you look like in america?
                        i noticed that when i came....but I think (as a
                        mixed cultured) , i feel surprised sometimes but it
                        is not because they want to be sometimes too polite?

                        like yesterday, for my new job, someone ask
                        me where are u from because here in the US
                        i look like a latino with a curiuous french accent,
                        and i sais and benin in africa and france...and
                        she said woww so you speak french and african?
                        i said yes to be polite too because i did not not
                        know how she will feel if i add that there hundred
                        of languages in africa....but the guy next to her
                        american also started laughing and said joking
                        " hey miss Africa is a continent...." and she
                        laught and and joke also calling herself stupid. so
                        finally i was think that she just wanted to be poilite
                        too quicly.....so sometimes it s what people said
                        is just an other way to say be curoius ... so
                        now it does not surprise e like the first time.

                        and other question question of a curious
                        1/2 french ......what is the story behind
                        the french chic as a facial characteritic?
                        i read that somewhere in one of your post..
                        I heard about the french fries and bread
                        and butter ...but never about that.

                        And last question
                        lol..do you understand my english...
                        i am not sure if i am doing a good translation...
                        it s more easy to explain how an aircraft fly in english...
                      • mulatta_loca
                        Yes, American society is obsessed with putting people in a box. This culture tends to think of race as a Black / White thing. I ve said this many times on
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 29, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Yes, American society is obsessed with putting people in a box.
                          This culture tends to think of "race" as a Black / White thing.
                          I've said this many times on this group and other places,
                          but I think our society's view of "race" is very limiting.



                          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                          fayem fayem <fayem2006@...> wrote:



                          hello....question for those who have multiorigin
                          and coming from other country,....the first time
                          in the US, me i was surprised to have to say
                          what was my ethnic group for filling the paper
                          of my new job here....there was ...american...
                          white american..afri american etc....
                          i wanted to add in the bottom Human from
                          planet earth..lol but it s too frenchy to do
                          that on a american administrative paper.
                          but they ask you that eevery where?
                          never saw that in europe.

                          My english is not very good but if i understood
                          you you were all tlaking about people who
                          tryed to guess where you are from
                          based on what you look like in america?
                          i noticed that when i came....but I think ( as a mixed
                          cultured) , i feel surprised sometimes but it is not
                          because they want to be sometimes too polite?

                          like yesterday, for my new job, someone ask
                          me where are u from because here in the US
                          i look like a latino with a curiuous french accent,
                          and i sais and benin in africa and france...and
                          she said woww so you speak french and african?
                          i said yes to be polite too because i did not not
                          know how she will feel if i add that there hundred
                          of languages in africa....but the guy next to her
                          american also started laughing and said joking
                          " hey miss Africa is a continent...." and she laught
                          and and joke also calling herself stupid. so finally i
                          was think that she just wanted to be poilite too quicly
                          .....so sometimes it s what people said is
                          just an other way to say be curoius ...
                          so now it does not surprise me like the first time.

                          and other question question of a curious
                          1/2 french ......what is the story behind
                          the french chic as a facial characteritic?
                          i read that somewhere in one of your post..
                          I heard about the french fries and bread
                          and butter ...but never about that.

                          And last question
                          lol..do you understand my english...
                          i am not sure if i am doing a good translation... it s
                          more easy to explain how an aircraft fly in english...
                        • eekmod
                          I guess I would use passing for Asian. I had always considered myself White. Grew up in White suburbia (albeit with a mom no one bothered to understand). But
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 19, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I guess I would use "passing" for Asian.
                            I had always considered myself White.
                            Grew up in White suburbia (albeit with
                            a mom no one bothered to understand).
                            But sometimes I use the Asian box.
                            I got selected for a Getty MultiCultural Internship
                            in college by emphasizing my Asian half.
                            Realistically I am just as Asian as I am White,
                            yet I still felt funny about it,
                            like I was cheating the system.
                            I think what you are culturally is more
                            significant than what your heritage is.
                            For instance, I think the purpose of
                            the Getty internship was to get more
                            MultiCultural perspectives into the art fields.
                            Do I count for that, or am I too White?
                            When I was (briefly) trying to get into acting,
                            my agency would send me out on stuff for Asians.
                            I'd get to the audition and be confronted
                            with full-blooded Asians and wonder
                            what the heck I was doing there.
                            I would go to White auditions
                            and be told I was too "exotic."
                            I couldn't pass for either!
                            Once I got turned down for a dang community
                            theatre play because the director said,
                            although I was the BEST ONE, I didn't look
                            like the rest of the "family" he had picked out



                            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                            Wendy Arimah <trinidadsvoice@...> wrote:



                            Just curious, with all this talk of passing,
                            I assume it's in reference to
                            passing for 'white', correct?

                            What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...

                            I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ... had all
                            the characteristics ... of a black woman. She was darker
                            than Oprah (without the lights and heavy foundation) ...

                            One day, during a discussion, she mentioned
                            the fact that she had White in her family.
                            She then showed me a picture of her mother.
                            She was the splitting image of her mother,
                            except for one thing: her mother was White.
                            Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White.

                            To say the least, I was shocked.
                            All I could do was say 'WOW'.
                            All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
                          • kier22_2
                            In my family I recently uncovered that most of my Great Grandparents on my Mothers side did pass for black when in fact they were Native American. I was told
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 20, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              In my family I recently uncovered that most of my
                              Great Grandparents on my Mothers side did pass for
                              "black" when in fact they were Native American.
                              I was told by my Mother that at that time
                              in that neighborhood it was easier to
                              be "black" than Native American.

                              No one even talked about it until
                              I started asking questions.

                              There is no doubt that I have Native American
                              Ancestry if you look at my Grandparents.
                              It all started when I found out that my
                              Great Grandfather had Blond hair & Blue eyes ...
                              everyone thought he was a very fair "black" man
                              when in fact he was either Irish or possibly Italian.

                              They are all dead now & it was a taboo subject
                              back then so I will never truly know where
                              a lot of my Mixed Heritage came from.



                              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                              "eekmod" <eekmod@...> wrote:



                              I guess I would use "passing" for Asian.
                              I had always considered myself White.
                              Grew up in White suburbia (albeit with
                              a mom no one bothered to understand).
                              But sometimes I use the Asian box.
                              I got selected for a Getty MultiCultural Internship
                              in college by emphasizing my Asian half.
                              Realistically I am just as Asian as I am White,
                              yet I still felt funny about it,
                              like I was cheating the system.
                              I think what you are culturally is more
                              significant than what your heritage is.
                              For instance, I think the purpose of
                              the Getty internship was to get more
                              MultiCultural perspectives into the art fields.
                              Do I count for that, or am I too White?
                              When I was (briefly) trying to get into acting,
                              my agency would send me out on stuff for Asians.
                              I'd get to the audition and be confronted
                              with full-blooded Asians and wonder
                              what the heck I was doing there.
                              I would go to White auditions
                              and be told I was too "exotic."
                              I couldn't pass for either!
                              Once I got turned down for a dang community
                              theatre play because the director said,
                              although I was the BEST ONE, I didn't look
                              like the rest of the "family" he had picked out



                              In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                              Wendy Arimah <trinidadsvoice@> wrote:



                              Just curious, with all this talk of passing,
                              I assume it's in reference to
                              passing for 'white', correct?

                              What about those who 'pass' for 'black'? ...

                              I ask because I knew a woman many years ago ... had all
                              the characteristics ... of a black woman. She was darker
                              than Oprah (without the lights and heavy foundation) ...

                              One day, during a discussion, she mentioned
                              the fact that she had White in her family.
                              She then showed me a picture of her mother.
                              She was the splitting image of her mother,
                              except for one thing: her mother was White.
                              Straight blonde hair, blue-eyed White.

                              To say the least, I was shocked.
                              All I could do was say 'WOW'.
                              All goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.



                              ********************************************************


                              Related Links:


                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/991
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1399

                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1570
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1573
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.