Re: Passing for Mixed :)

  • kier22_2
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2007
      Reading these posts has me relating on so many levels.
      When I was born my Parents moved into a house in Richmond VA.
      They had previously lived in NYC (yankees)
      So one day after moving in my Dad goes outside
      to get the mail and meets our new neighbors.
      They were so nice..."welcome to the neighborhood" and all of that.
      My Dad looks White. So they assumed (ass-umed)he was.
      Well here comes my Mom carrying me out of the house.
      My Mom is light brown with black wavey hair and I am very fair
      with almost blond hair & at the time my eyes were Blue.
      They asked my Dad "Oh is that your girl"?
      Meaning is that your nurse or nanny.
      My Dad says very evenly that's my Wife.
      That was the last time those people were ever nice to use.
      We were there for 4 years & I was terrified of them all four.
      They used to call us Monkeys when my Brother & I climed
      our tree and keep our frisbee if it flew into their yard.
      Finally my Dad called a lawyer & they moved away during the night.

      Another time My Dad was in the supermarket & he met a man.
      My Dad can talk to anyone & soon the two
      of them were chatting it up big time.
      The Man tells my Dad that he seems like
      "his" kinda guy invites him to a "dinner".
      I later found out that it was a Klan meeting.
      Funny thing is I never did find out what my
      Dad said to make this man invite him to dinner.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      Hi Lynn =),

      I can't say it happens exactly like that for us, because
      my son is Multiracial ("black," Cherokee and "white")
      and I am Biracial ("white", Cherokee), so we get
      exactly the opposite of what you're describing!
      Either, the White people think I'm White and Alex (my
      son) is black (or anything other than white!)/OR black
      people think I'm White (OF COURSE) and Alex is black,
      Mexican, Indian (meaning, Asian- not Native American).

      Believe me... for us, it is just as traumatizing,
      just as hurtful and just as IGNORANT!

      For some stupid reason, people look at me and think,
      "What the heck is SHE complaining about? She's WHITE!!!"
      Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that makes me mad!!!!!
      Yes... we've definitely gotten the "are you babysitting" IGNORANCE
      (white people) or the "what's HE?" IGNORANCE (black people).
      It seems, for us, most different groups of people (Asian,
      black, white, Latino, whatever) think these things of us.
      I've had plenty of time (almost 15 years!)
      to "come to terms" with these attitudes.
      I don't know if you ever can, though (if you identify
      ALL parts of yourself, as opposed to just one,
      AND you happen to have a conscience!).
      It's sad.....

      Heather
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
        Hello Keir,

        I can relate to a lot of what you are saying
        ... and want you to know you have my support.
        Stay strong--and keep on sharing your stories
        and insight, your voice really is important for
        others, especially kids, to hear and learn from.

        Blessings ~ Lynn

        War, disaster survivors offer lessons in tolerance, hope

        The Record
        Saturday, May 19, 2007

        By WALTER DAWKINS
        STAFF WRITER

        Holocaust survivors, a refugee from war-torn Sudan
        and a black man who befriends Ku Klux Klan members
        were among about 50 speakers Friday to describe their
        experiences to Fieldstone Middle School students in Montvale.

        "They are speaking really about tolerance, forgiveness and peace,"
        Assistant Principal Mark Maire said of the daylong
        event titled, "Respect, Reflect, and Remember."

        "They are teaching the kids to look at people differently,
        to look at life differently, to appreciate other people and
        be thankful for what they have because you are dealing with
        Holocaust survivors and former Rwandan refugees who lost everything."

        Irene McNally, president of the Montvale Parent-Teacher
        Organization, said live presenters were a much more
        effective way for students to learn valuable life lessons.

        "Character education, which includes topics like bullying,
        being a good citizen and volunteering, is mandated by
        the state," said McNally, who helped organize the event.

        "If you tell kids about these events through
        textbooks, it feels rather sterile.
        But if you can show them a Holocaust survivor or a World War
        II camp liberator in flesh and blood, it makes it more real."

        Kristina Myers of the Alice Paul Institute told
        the students about Paul's struggles in the early
        1900s to help women earn the right to vote.

        "She was arrested, she went on hunger strikes, she
        did all of this because she believed in something
        very strongly," Myers said of the New Jersey activist.

        "So I'm hoping to pass to the kids that if they
        believe in something and they see an injustice,
        that they can change it just like Alice Paul did."

        Daryl Davis, an African-American, spoke about
        his experiences befriending and ultimately
        converting members of the Klan to tolerance.

        "Take the time to talk to people who are different than
        you and you can change the world," said Davis, who wrote a
        book, "Klan-Destine Relationships," about his experiences.

        Atem Ajok talked about the civil war in his
        native Sudan that destroyed his village and has
        resulted in the deaths of at least 2 million people.
        Ajok escaped to the United States after the U.S.
        government granted refugee status to about 3,800
        Sudanese young men displaced or orphaned by the war.

        "Genocidal war anywhere can be stopped
        if we all speak out," said Ajok, 25.

        "As the great Dr. Martin Luther King once said,
        at the end what we will remember is not the words
        of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

        Holocaust survivor Arlette Michaelis grew up in Brussels,
        Belgium, during the Nazi occupation in World War II.

        Her parents and brother were imprisoned for anti-Nazi
        activities, including hiding Jews in their home.

        "You've got to be informed, listen and know history
        so that it doesn't repeat itself," Michaelis said.

        "And don't give your enemy the weapon of fear.

        You can never lose your hope in a better
        future and in your fight for freedom."

        State Sen. Gerald Cardinale, R-Cresskill,
        who attended, said he was very impressed.

        "It's amazing that they were able to put
        together -- the variety and quality of
        speakers in this program," Cardinale said.

        "When you see people who've lived these
        experiences, it personalizes in a way
        that really brings it home to all of us.

        It becomes something that we feel a
        responsibility to do something about it."

        Many of the fifth- through eighth-grade
        students, who all wore maroon T-shirts with
        "Respect, Reflect, Remember" printed on the back,
        said they appreciated the value of what they heard.

        "I think it's a great opportunity for us to learn
        about people who come from different countries,"
        said fifth-grader Nick Hallowell, 11.

        "I learned that you should never give up in life."

        Eighth-grader Ryan Rosenthal also
        was happy with the knowledge he gained.

        "I learned how to be respectful, how to
        overcome challenges and how to deal with
        problems in your life," said Ryan, 14.

        Eleven-year-old April Hanna said her favorite
        speaker was Davis, who confronted the
        Klan members with understanding.

        "He influenced the KKK to not treat people differently,
        and that we're all equal," the fifth-grader said.

        "I learned a lot of things about life."

        Richard Williams, a survivor of the Oklahoma City bombing
        in 1995 who spoke about how he recovered from the traumatic
        event, said he got as much out of the day as the kids.

        "It's wonderful for me to be able to share my story with these
        children," said Williams, one of the last people pulled from
        the wreckage of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

        "It's a story of hope and healing and it's probably
        more cathartic for me than it is for the children."

        E-mail: dawkins@...

      • kier22_2
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
          Thanks Lynn, That's what makes it worth it.

          wintyreeve@... wrote:

          Hello Keir,

          I can relate to a lot of what you are saying
          ... and want you to know you have my support.
          Stay strong--and keep on sharing your stories
          and insight, your voice really is important for
          others, especially kids, to hear and learn from.

          Blessings ~ Lynn

          http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MDYmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxMzY1MjgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

          War, disaster survivors offer lessons in tolerance, hope