Creoles

  • Creativlit
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2007
      That was interesting reading about
      the different types of Creole people.
      I can trace my linage to the year 1622 in France.
      My ancestors were people who had purchased their way
      into the nobility as shipping merchants in France.
      When the French Revolution happened they were thrown in
      the Bastille where they paid ransoms to be smuggled onto
      ships. In my family the two Fremont brothers were smuggled
      to New Orleans, Louisiana. They became salt miners and
      regained some of their lost wealth. This helped them
      set up mercantile businesses in the New Orleans area.
      When I was reading much of the family research
      much of the French community was very closed.
      Marriages were arranged within this group.
      The one brother who was my direct great
      grandfather x4 or 5 cant remember exactly he moved
      to Chadwick, Missouri where he operated a store.
      A few family members intermarried with Native Americans there.
      My great, great grandfather died in a gun battle when he
      demanded a duel with my great grandmothers sisters boyfriend.
      They both died in the duel. He had been angry because the
      two wished to marry and the young man was not from
      the correct cultural group nor was it arranged.
      One thing I noted in the history is this particular group
      of French ancestors stayed for several generations in the
      Louisiana area and stayed in their tight knit community.
      It was really wrong at the time to stray
      in any way outside of this group.
      Interestingly those attitudes persist in my family to this day.
      My great grandmother moved with her husband to Twin Falls, Idaho
      in the great depression. She became a widow very soon after and
      raised 9 children alone. One child died at age 2 and would have
      been the tenth child. My grandmother married a man from
      Chadwick, Missouri also of the same linage. His family was
      French with Native intermarriage. My grandmother got pregnant
      with my father from a Native man from Canada but married
      another man to "cover" it up or protect herself I suppose.
      My fathers family also was strong French and Native
      ancestry with a few Irish and Welsh thrown in.
      The original French persons in my ancestry were the Fremonts.
      Many of them when they escaped France changed their
      last name to things like Freeman to show that they had
      escaped and some changed the name to Fremonte or Fremond
      to make the name look like it came from another origin.
      Many of them were afraid of persecution and being followed from
      France or being forced to go back there to face execution.
      I may be a mix of French and Indian but I have strong French facial
      features. My hair is very Native though. Long straight and coarse.
      I have the small nose though the eyes {blue though} the high cheeks.
      Brown eyes are more common in my family though.
      I had never though of myself as Creole though.
      Perhaps because I was born and raised in the North West
      and very far removed from the South and Louisiana.
      I do know that most of my family had very strong
      perceptions on race and color and marriage.
      To an extent I felt crossed the line into racism.
      I will never forget my one grandfather who said
      I was dead and never spoke to me again in my
      life because they felt my one child was "dark".
      That man would sit at a table with me
      and pass food by like I didn’t exist.
      My grandmother also cut ties with me after that child was born.
      My mother always made comments about how blue eyes and blonde
      were always better. She would lighten my hair as a kid.
      I always thought she was just kooky but I can see where
      that attitude persisted through the generations.
      Hopefully I have taught my children to be better people.

      Noreene