Re: Very Close?

    Message 1 of 23 , May 8, 2007
      Hello, Noreene, and ~WELCOME!~
      I, too, am fair-skinned (considered by most
      to be "white") with red hair=) What a coincidence!
      Anyhow... like you, I have Native American
      (Cherokee, I'm told) heritage in my background.
      I am also English. Not sure what else-lol?!
      I agree with you, about our lives being no less horrific
      (I know, I've been through a lot too) than anyone else's.
      It's out of ignorance (subconscious or not) that people
      believe that, especially when they don't know the person.
      For the longest time, I checked the "white" box on forms ...
      because, I thought I had no other choice. I was being put in that
      box anyway, by our government and by society, so why dispute it?!
      Once I found out about my Native American heritage, though,
      I had to make a choice. Continue checking "white" OR identify
      myself as multiracial/"other." I chose the latter. That was
      really the only true choice I could make ... no matter
      what anyone who doesn't know me/or my background thinks.
      I've learned, through a lot of the things I've been through in life,
      that what other people think is not always relative to who you are.
      We are who we are, despite people's opinions and labels of us.
      I refuse to "give in." I am ME and I am proud of who I've become=)
      Sincerely, Heather
    • chasity_cofield
      Message 2 of 23 , May 8, 2007
        Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
        I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
        in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
        I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
        Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
        I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
        there about which race I choose to act like.
        In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
        guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
        Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
        chasity.
      • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8, 2007
          Hi, Chastity--

          Welcome to the group!

          I, too am Black and Native ... And
          Irish, And English, And West Indian!

          I'm more of a Goth-- and an old one at that!
          I'm a bass player for a Gothic/
          Industrial band called Legion Within.

          I'm copper skinned, reddish haired,
          brown eyes that turn hazel.

          Once again, welcome to the group!

          Raven

          chasity_cofield <chasity_cofield@...> wrote:

          Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
          I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
          in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
          I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
          Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
          I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
          there about which race I choose to act like.
          In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
          guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
          Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
          chasity.

        • kier22_2
          Message 4 of 23 , May 9, 2007
            Hi Chasity,

            I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
            French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
            I am older than you but I can understand how hard
            it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
            I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
            I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
            So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
            I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
            Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
            Once you are out of School it wont matter.
            Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
            contact me at kier22_2@... if you want to talk some more.

            Kier.

            Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
            I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
            in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
            I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
            Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
            I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
            there about which race I choose to act like.
            In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
            guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
            Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
            chasity.
            <<<
          • Sonya Tang
            Message 5 of 23 , May 9, 2007
              Dear Chasity,

              Welcome on board! It's really good to have you here :-)
              I was reading your post, and I understand where you are coming from.
              I'd really like to clarify a few things though.
              There is no such thing as a "Jamaican" or "French" race.
              Basically, most people who live in other countries
              such as those are not of any one homogeneous race.
              They either belong to Caucasian, East Indian,
              Chinese, African, Spanish, or Mixes of these races.
              So when you go to Jamaica, you should expect to find people
              of varying races, such as African, East Indian, Chinese, etc.
              The islands from which I was born and raised are Trinidad and Tobago.
              These islands were colonised by the British a very long
              time ago and throughout time many "races" of people
              of varying nationalities settled on these islands.
              Now that the islands are independent, we have a rich racial unity
              of East Indian, Chinese, African, Spanish, Caucasian, and Mixed
              races, yet our culture is that of Trinidadian and Tobagonian.
              For someone from another country to say that a Trinidadian person
              is expected to "look" a certain way would be entirely wrong.
              This is why I believe that when specifying race,
              it should not be confused with one's nationality.
              Because race and nationality are two entirely different things.
              For example, someone may be born and living in China, yet
              he or she does NOT necessarily have to be of Chinese race.
              Instead, he or she could be of any other
              race, such as East Indian, or Caucasian.
              I hope I was able to enlighten you and others a bit.
              Thank you for sharing your story with us, and always remember that
              God accepts us and loves us no matter how we look on the outside :-)

              kier22_2 <kier22_2@...> wrote:
              Hi Chasity,

              I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
              French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
              I am older than you but I can understand how hard
              it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
              I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
              I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
              So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
              I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
              Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
              Once you are out of School it wont matter.
              Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
              contact me at kier22_2@peoplepc. com if you want to talk some more.

              Kier.

              Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
              I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
              in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
              I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
              Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
              I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
              there about which race I choose to act like.
              In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
              guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
              Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
              chasity.
              <<<

            • queen_jas44
              Message 6 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                Hey Chasity,

                I know what you feel like. My mom does to.

                My mom is a dark skin black woman, but everyone else in
                her family is real light and has really straight hair.
                Her grand mother even has blond hair and
                blue eyes, so she always felt out of place.

                Now me i was born with white skin, blue eyes and blond hair.
                My dad is Asian.

                So you know growing up a felt out of place.
                But I was luckily to have my mom there for me and helping me.
                My dad helped too, but girls tend to
                go more to there mom then to there dad.
                I do just say i am black, but I do know i have other things in me.
                If you need any help please email me.

                In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

[...]

              • rolyan7
                Message 7 of 23 , May 13, 2007
                  Chasity. Please do some research! You are a "Creole"
                  Hispanics, well some are also, a Mix of Indian & White, and Mulatto.
                  The term is usually quite commonly in the CARIBBEAN and Lousianna.
                  I am a Creole myself and in JAMAICA, i am regarded as a "Browning"
                  CREOLE IS MORE RECOGNIZED. A Creole can
                  also be "white" person and also a language.
                  All you confused Americans (exception Lousianna) should
                  embrace that term more often and identify yourself that way.
                  It is so much simplier. Peace and Love to all
                  Mulattoes, Creoles, Whites, blacks, etc.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                    Hi all,

                    I just have to say this & then leave it alone.

                    I am noticing a few people on this forum
                    telling others how to "classify" themselves.

                    Please stop.

                    What you choose to call yourself is a personal
                    choice & the reason why a lot of us have chosen
                    to be a part of 'Generation-Mixed'.
                    Partly because others have chosen to "classify" us.
                    We know or are at least researching who we are and
                    I am sure you have our best interest in heart,
                    let the people here "classify" hemselves.

                    Thank you,
                    Kier

[...]

                  • mulatta_loca
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                      I know what you mean. In the U.S. people tend to
                      think of 'race' and 'nationality' as the same thing.
                      When I tell people that my father is Jamaican
                      they usually reply; "Oh, so he's Black."
                      In reality, he's Mixed and when I was a kid would
                      identify himself as "a good lookin' brown man."

[...]

                    • Courtney T.
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                        I agree, some people really are being too pushy about these things.
                        While your intentions are to be informative, people
                        take their identities seriously and personally.
                        It is really not your place to tell someone
                        how to personally identify themselves.

                        Thank you,
                        CJ

                        "kier22_2" <kier22_2@> wrote:

[...]

                      • fayem fayem
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 18, 2007

                          hello   kk parle francais?
                        • Trevia Hardiman
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                            bonjour..... un pue francais :) Toi?

                            fayem fayem <fayem2006@...> wrote:

                            hello   kk parle francais?

                          • fayem fayem
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                              yes...someone told me that there was people from
                              the french creole culture around here....and canada....
                              me i speak because my mum is french.....there is creole here?