Re: [Generation-Mixed] Very Close?

  • Rommel Santos
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30, 2007
      rystamford:

      Yup, me too.
      My face and eyes mark me out as Chinese, and as a kid, I really
      didn't like it, until I was told that my great-granddad was Chinese.
      It's a kind of badge of distinction.
      Glory in your distinctiveness!
      Yours,

      RCS

      Alessandra Jackson <alessandra_jackson_85@...> wrote:

      Yes, I've gotten that before too.

      Alessandra

      rystamford <rystamford@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Has anyone else found that people always
      think you're just White with a very good tan?

      For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
      I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
      high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
      (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

      I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
      of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
      black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

      Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

      I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
      did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!

    • Shannon Bax
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Sonya,

        You sound like you come from very beautiful islands, and
        I do love people of the orient and the people of India.
        I love all races Indian, Chinese, Thailand,
        Hawaiian, the Middle East, and more.
        I think they are such beauitiful races.
        Hey don't feel bad. I get the same thing.
        A lot of people thank that I Vietnamese, Chinese, or Hispanic.
        At times I get very sad too because I'm a 35 year old
        female, and I don't know what my true identity is either
        but when people ask me what is my race I say that I am
        Mixed with black, hispanic, white, indian, and french.

        Blondie

        From: "Sonya" <invinciblegirl100@...>
        To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Very Close?
        Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:16:02 -0000

        I'm from the islands of Trinidad and Tobago (located in the
        Caribbean). I am a mixture of East Indian, and Chinese race.
        I currently live in the United States, but each
        time I meet a new person, I am categorized
        into the country they think I belong.
        People ask me if I'm from India,Cuba,
        Thailand, the Middle East, Hawaii, and more.
        While I respond respectfully to their questions,
        I get a little sad inside, because it hurts me
        to know that my real identity is not known.
        That is, that I am from the beautiful islands of Trinidad
        and Tobago, and that those islands are quite diverse
        (having people of all races). Ah well, I'm coping though.
        I'm glad for groups like these which encourage me to
        share and vent my feelings about these matters
        without having to deal with persecution. :-)

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

        I've been mistaken for everything under the
        sun, including Italian, Middle Eastern, etc...
        I'm actually Jamaican, Ecuadorian, and Polish.
        Go figure!

        "rystamford" <rystamford@> wrote:

        Has anyone else found that people always
        think you're just White with a very good tan?

        For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
        I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
        high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
        (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

        I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
        of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
        black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

        Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

        I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
        did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
      • docilechicken24
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2007
          That's happened with me some, but especially with my two
          sisters. The year round tan. Very common with my sisters.
          When I was growing up I thought I was of only European Descent.

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "rystamford" <rystamford@...> wrote:

          Has anyone else found that people always
          think you're just White with a very good tan?

          For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
          I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
          high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
          (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

          I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
          of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
          black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

          Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

          I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
          did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
        • oldshoebailey Bailey
          Message 4 of 23 , May 7, 2007
            Most people consider me just caucasian. I am a mix of Native
            American and French. I am red haired, blue eyed, and freckled.
            My father is Native though. My sisters are more darker complected.
            It was funny I attended a pow wow once and I was talking to a woman who
            had a petition for envirnmental discrimination against native persons.
            She kept going on and on and using the statement "our People"
            I wanted to scream hey um I am kinda one of your people too.
            but i didn't and I let it go. I never forgot though.
            She kept on her speech and kept making references as to how
            much easier life was for me then it was for native persons.
            My skin color never made a difference as to how easy or not my life
            was. Ive lived through some pretty horrendous things and one thing I
            have learned is pain, suffering, and bad things that happen really do
            not care what your skin color is or even what your income level is.
            Despite how i look the native part of me is part of who i am and it
            is mor ethen how i look. It is a way of life and a spiritual path.
            I do not however go out seeking to be a member of any tribe or nation.
            I came to the conclusion I really belong to neither race and am my own
            individual unique person. I am part of both yet belong to neither.

            Noreene
          • mulatta_loca
            Message 5 of 23 , May 7, 2007
              Amen to that!
              It always amazes me how there are people who think
              that if someone has lighter skin than they do,
              then that person must have an easy life.

              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                Hello, Noreene, and ~WELCOME!~
                I, too, am fair-skinned (considered by most
                to be "white") with red hair=) What a coincidence!
                Anyhow... like you, I have Native American
                (Cherokee, I'm told) heritage in my background.
                I am also English. Not sure what else-lol?!
                I agree with you, about our lives being no less horrific
                (I know, I've been through a lot too) than anyone else's.
                It's out of ignorance (subconscious or not) that people
                believe that, especially when they don't know the person.
                For the longest time, I checked the "white" box on forms ...
                because, I thought I had no other choice. I was being put in that
                box anyway, by our government and by society, so why dispute it?!
                Once I found out about my Native American heritage, though,
                I had to make a choice. Continue checking "white" OR identify
                myself as multiracial/"other." I chose the latter. That was
                really the only true choice I could make ... no matter
                what anyone who doesn't know me/or my background thinks.
                I've learned, through a lot of the things I've been through in life,
                that what other people think is not always relative to who you are.
                We are who we are, despite people's opinions and labels of us.
                I refuse to "give in." I am ME and I am proud of who I've become=)
                Sincerely, Heather
              • chasity_cofield
                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                  Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                  I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                  in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                  I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                  Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                  I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                  there about which race I choose to act like.
                  In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                  guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                  Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                  chasity.
                • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                    Hi, Chastity--

                    Welcome to the group!

                    I, too am Black and Native ... And
                    Irish, And English, And West Indian!

                    I'm more of a Goth-- and an old one at that!
                    I'm a bass player for a Gothic/
                    Industrial band called Legion Within.

                    I'm copper skinned, reddish haired,
                    brown eyes that turn hazel.

                    Once again, welcome to the group!

                    Raven

                    chasity_cofield <chasity_cofield@...> wrote:

                    Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                    I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                    in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                    I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                    Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                    I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                    there about which race I choose to act like.
                    In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                    guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                    Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                    chasity.

                  • kier22_2
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                      Hi Chasity,

                      I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
                      French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
                      I am older than you but I can understand how hard
                      it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
                      I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
                      I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
                      So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
                      I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
                      Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
                      Once you are out of School it wont matter.
                      Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
                      contact me at kier22_2@... if you want to talk some more.

                      Kier.

                      Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                      I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                      in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                      I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                      Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                      I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                      there about which race I choose to act like.
                      In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                      guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                      Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                      chasity.
                      <<<
                    • Sonya Tang
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                        Dear Chasity,

                        Welcome on board! It's really good to have you here :-)
                        I was reading your post, and I understand where you are coming from.
                        I'd really like to clarify a few things though.
                        There is no such thing as a "Jamaican" or "French" race.
                        Basically, most people who live in other countries
                        such as those are not of any one homogeneous race.
                        They either belong to Caucasian, East Indian,
                        Chinese, African, Spanish, or Mixes of these races.
                        So when you go to Jamaica, you should expect to find people
                        of varying races, such as African, East Indian, Chinese, etc.
                        The islands from which I was born and raised are Trinidad and Tobago.
                        These islands were colonised by the British a very long
                        time ago and throughout time many "races" of people
                        of varying nationalities settled on these islands.
                        Now that the islands are independent, we have a rich racial unity
                        of East Indian, Chinese, African, Spanish, Caucasian, and Mixed
                        races, yet our culture is that of Trinidadian and Tobagonian.
                        For someone from another country to say that a Trinidadian person
                        is expected to "look" a certain way would be entirely wrong.
                        This is why I believe that when specifying race,
                        it should not be confused with one's nationality.
                        Because race and nationality are two entirely different things.
                        For example, someone may be born and living in China, yet
                        he or she does NOT necessarily have to be of Chinese race.
                        Instead, he or she could be of any other
                        race, such as East Indian, or Caucasian.
                        I hope I was able to enlighten you and others a bit.
                        Thank you for sharing your story with us, and always remember that
                        God accepts us and loves us no matter how we look on the outside :-)

                        kier22_2 <kier22_2@...> wrote:
                        Hi Chasity,

                        I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
                        French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
                        I am older than you but I can understand how hard
                        it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
                        I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
                        I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
                        So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
                        I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
                        Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
                        Once you are out of School it wont matter.
                        Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
                        contact me at kier22_2@peoplepc. com if you want to talk some more.

                        Kier.

                        Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                        I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                        in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                        I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                        Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                        I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                        there about which race I choose to act like.
                        In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                        guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                        Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                        chasity.
                        <<<

                      • queen_jas44
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                          Hey Chasity,

                          I know what you feel like. My mom does to.

                          My mom is a dark skin black woman, but everyone else in
                          her family is real light and has really straight hair.
                          Her grand mother even has blond hair and
                          blue eyes, so she always felt out of place.

                          Now me i was born with white skin, blue eyes and blond hair.
                          My dad is Asian.

                          So you know growing up a felt out of place.
                          But I was luckily to have my mom there for me and helping me.
                          My dad helped too, but girls tend to
                          go more to there mom then to there dad.
                          I do just say i am black, but I do know i have other things in me.
                          If you need any help please email me.

[...]

                        • rolyan7
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 13, 2007
                            Chasity. Please do some research! You are a "Creole"
                            Hispanics, well some are also, a Mix of Indian & White, and Mulatto.
                            The term is usually quite commonly in the CARIBBEAN and Lousianna.
                            I am a Creole myself and in JAMAICA, i am regarded as a "Browning"
                            CREOLE IS MORE RECOGNIZED. A Creole can
                            also be "white" person and also a language.
                            All you confused Americans (exception Lousianna) should
                            embrace that term more often and identify yourself that way.
                            It is so much simplier. Peace and Love to all
                            Mulattoes, Creoles, Whites, blacks, etc.

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                              Hi all,

                              I just have to say this & then leave it alone.

                              I am noticing a few people on this forum
                              telling others how to "classify" themselves.

                              Please stop.

                              What you choose to call yourself is a personal
                              choice & the reason why a lot of us have chosen
                              to be a part of 'Generation-Mixed'.
                              Partly because others have chosen to "classify" us.
                              We know or are at least researching who we are and
                              I am sure you have our best interest in heart,
                              let the people here "classify" hemselves.

                              Thank you,
                              Kier

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                                I know what you mean. In the U.S. people tend to
                                think of 'race' and 'nationality' as the same thing.
                                When I tell people that my father is Jamaican
                                they usually reply; "Oh, so he's Black."
                                In reality, he's Mixed and when I was a kid would
                                identify himself as "a good lookin' brown man."

[...]

                              • Courtney T.
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                                  I agree, some people really are being too pushy about these things.
                                  While your intentions are to be informative, people
                                  take their identities seriously and personally.
                                  It is really not your place to tell someone
                                  how to personally identify themselves.

                                  Thank you,
                                  CJ

                                  "kier22_2" <kier22_2@> wrote:

[...]

                                • fayem fayem
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 18, 2007

                                    hello   kk parle francais?
                                  • Trevia Hardiman
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                                      bonjour..... un pue francais :) Toi?

                                      fayem fayem <fayem2006@...> wrote:

                                      hello   kk parle francais?

                                    • fayem fayem
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                                        yes...someone told me that there was people from
                                        the french creole culture around here....and canada....
                                        me i speak because my mum is french.....there is creole here?