Very Close?

  • rystamford
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 28, 2007
      Has anyone else found that people always
      think you're just White with a very good tan?

      For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
      I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
      high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
      (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

      I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
      of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
      black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

      Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

      I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
      did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
    • mulatta_loca
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 29, 2007
        I've been mistaken for everything under the
        sun, including Italian, Middle Eastern, etc...
        I'm actually Jamaican, Ecuadorian, and Polish.
        Go figure!

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "rystamford" <rystamford@...> wrote:

        Has anyone else found that people always
        think you're just White with a very good tan?

        For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
        I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
        high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
        (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

        I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
        of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
        black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

        Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

        I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
        did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
      • Sonya
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 29, 2007
          I'm from the islands of Trinidad and Tobago (located in the
          Caribbean). I am a mixture of East Indian, and Chinese race.
          I currently live in the United States, but each
          time I meet a new person, I am categorized
          into the country they think I belong.
          People ask me if I'm from India,Cuba,
          Thailand, the Middle East, Hawaii, and more.
          While I respond respectfully to their questions,
          I get a little sad inside, because it hurts me
          to know that my real identity is not known.
          That is, that I am from the beautiful islands of Trinidad
          and Tobago, and that those islands are quite diverse
          (having people of all races). Ah well, I'm coping though.
          I'm glad for groups like these which encourage me to
          share and vent my feelings about these matters
          without having to deal with persecution. :-)

          "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

          I've been mistaken for everything under the
          sun, including Italian, Middle Eastern, etc...
          I'm actually Jamaican, Ecuadorian, and Polish.
          Go figure!

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "rystamford" <rystamford@> wrote:

          Has anyone else found that people always
          think you're just White with a very good tan?

          For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
          I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
          high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
          (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

          I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
          of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
          black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

          Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

          I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
          did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
        • xxdesi_govind88xx
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 29, 2007
            i got the same problem. im mixed with East Indian (romani, gypsy),
            Italian, and white. most people assume im white because i got
            fair skin. some think im arabic, very few think im Puerto Rican
            (lightskinned)...but im born here. my ancestors are from Indiia, but
            my dad is mainly white n i got a lot of his genes. only after i tell
            people my real ethnity, some believe me but some dont. go figure.
          • Alessandra Jackson

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 30, 2007
                rystamford:

                Yup, me too.
                My face and eyes mark me out as Chinese, and as a kid, I really
                didn't like it, until I was told that my great-granddad was Chinese.
                It's a kind of badge of distinction.
                Glory in your distinctiveness!
                Yours,

                RCS

                rystamford <rystamford@yahoo. com> wrote:

                Has anyone else found that people always
                think you're just White with a very good tan?

                For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
                I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
                high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
                (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

                I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
                of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
                black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

                Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

                I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
                did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!

              • Shannon Bax
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2007
                  Hi Sonya,

                  You sound like you come from very beautiful islands, and
                  I do love people of the orient and the people of India.
                  I love all races Indian, Chinese, Thailand,
                  Hawaiian, the Middle East, and more.
                  I think they are such beauitiful races.
                  Hey don't feel bad. I get the same thing.
                  A lot of people thank that I Vietnamese, Chinese, or Hispanic.
                  At times I get very sad too because I'm a 35 year old
                  female, and I don't know what my true identity is either
                  but when people ask me what is my race I say that I am
                  Mixed with black, hispanic, white, indian, and french.

                  Blondie

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 6, 2007
                    That's happened with me some, but especially with my two
                    sisters. The year round tan. Very common with my sisters.
                    When I was growing up I thought I was of only European Descent.

                    In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                    "rystamford" <rystamford@...> wrote:

                    Has anyone else found that people always
                    think you're just White with a very good tan?

                    For the longest time I thought I was just plain Italian,
                    I would look around at all of the other Italian kids at my
                    high school and say "even though I'm only 1/4 Italian
                    (3/4 Polish), I'm still much darker than them!

                    I found out a few months ago (i'm in my Senior Year
                    of College now), that my Great Grandfather was half
                    black (back in Italy). That makes me 1/16 black.

                    Does anyone else have this strange phenomena?

                    I'm always told I have such a great tan, and where
                    did I get it...I tell them that it's just me!
                  • oldshoebailey Bailey
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 7, 2007
                      Most people consider me just caucasian. I am a mix of Native
                      American and French. I am red haired, blue eyed, and freckled.
                      My father is Native though. My sisters are more darker complected.
                      It was funny I attended a pow wow once and I was talking to a woman who
                      had a petition for envirnmental discrimination against native persons.
                      She kept going on and on and using the statement "our People"
                      I wanted to scream hey um I am kinda one of your people too.
                      but i didn't and I let it go. I never forgot though.
                      She kept on her speech and kept making references as to how
                      much easier life was for me then it was for native persons.
                      My skin color never made a difference as to how easy or not my life
                      was. Ive lived through some pretty horrendous things and one thing I
                      have learned is pain, suffering, and bad things that happen really do
                      not care what your skin color is or even what your income level is.
                      Despite how i look the native part of me is part of who i am and it
                      is mor ethen how i look. It is a way of life and a spiritual path.
                      I do not however go out seeking to be a member of any tribe or nation.
                      I came to the conclusion I really belong to neither race and am my own
                      individual unique person. I am part of both yet belong to neither.

                      Noreene
                    • mulatta_loca
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 7, 2007
                        Amen to that!
                        It always amazes me how there are people who think
                        that if someone has lighter skin than they do,
                        then that person must have an easy life.

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                          Hello, Noreene, and ~WELCOME!~
                          I, too, am fair-skinned (considered by most
                          to be "white") with red hair=) What a coincidence!
                          Anyhow... like you, I have Native American
                          (Cherokee, I'm told) heritage in my background.
                          I am also English. Not sure what else-lol?!
                          I agree with you, about our lives being no less horrific
                          (I know, I've been through a lot too) than anyone else's.
                          It's out of ignorance (subconscious or not) that people
                          believe that, especially when they don't know the person.
                          For the longest time, I checked the "white" box on forms ...
                          because, I thought I had no other choice. I was being put in that
                          box anyway, by our government and by society, so why dispute it?!
                          Once I found out about my Native American heritage, though,
                          I had to make a choice. Continue checking "white" OR identify
                          myself as multiracial/"other." I chose the latter. That was
                          really the only true choice I could make ... no matter
                          what anyone who doesn't know me/or my background thinks.
                          I've learned, through a lot of the things I've been through in life,
                          that what other people think is not always relative to who you are.
                          We are who we are, despite people's opinions and labels of us.
                          I refuse to "give in." I am ME and I am proud of who I've become=)
                          Sincerely, Heather
                        • chasity_cofield
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                            Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                            I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                            in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                            I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                            Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                            I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                            there about which race I choose to act like.
                            In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                            guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                            Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                            chasity.
                          • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 8, 2007
                              Hi, Chastity--

                              Welcome to the group!

                              I, too am Black and Native ... And
                              Irish, And English, And West Indian!

                              I'm more of a Goth-- and an old one at that!
                              I'm a bass player for a Gothic/
                              Industrial band called Legion Within.

                              I'm copper skinned, reddish haired,
                              brown eyes that turn hazel.

                              Once again, welcome to the group!

                              Raven

                              chasity_cofield <chasity_cofield@...> wrote:

                              Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                              I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                              in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                              I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                              Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                              I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                              there about which race I choose to act like.
                              In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                              guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                              Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                              chasity.

                            • kier22_2
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                                Hi Chasity,

                                I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
                                French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
                                I am older than you but I can understand how hard
                                it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
                                I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
                                I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
                                So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
                                I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
                                Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
                                Once you are out of School it wont matter.
                                Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
                                contact me at kier22_2@... if you want to talk some more.

                                Kier.

                                Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                                I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                                in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                                I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                                Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                                I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                                there about which race I choose to act like.
                                In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                                guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                                Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                                chasity.
                                <<<
                              • Sonya Tang
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                                  Dear Chasity,

                                  Welcome on board! It's really good to have you here :-)
                                  I was reading your post, and I understand where you are coming from.
                                  I'd really like to clarify a few things though.
                                  There is no such thing as a "Jamaican" or "French" race.
                                  Basically, most people who live in other countries
                                  such as those are not of any one homogeneous race.
                                  They either belong to Caucasian, East Indian,
                                  Chinese, African, Spanish, or Mixes of these races.
                                  So when you go to Jamaica, you should expect to find people
                                  of varying races, such as African, East Indian, Chinese, etc.
                                  The islands from which I was born and raised are Trinidad and Tobago.
                                  These islands were colonised by the British a very long
                                  time ago and throughout time many "races" of people
                                  of varying nationalities settled on these islands.
                                  Now that the islands are independent, we have a rich racial unity
                                  of East Indian, Chinese, African, Spanish, Caucasian, and Mixed
                                  races, yet our culture is that of Trinidadian and Tobagonian.
                                  For someone from another country to say that a Trinidadian person
                                  is expected to "look" a certain way would be entirely wrong.
                                  This is why I believe that when specifying race,
                                  it should not be confused with one's nationality.
                                  Because race and nationality are two entirely different things.
                                  For example, someone may be born and living in China, yet
                                  he or she does NOT necessarily have to be of Chinese race.
                                  Instead, he or she could be of any other
                                  race, such as East Indian, or Caucasian.
                                  I hope I was able to enlighten you and others a bit.
                                  Thank you for sharing your story with us, and always remember that
                                  God accepts us and loves us no matter how we look on the outside :-)

                                  kier22_2 <kier22_2@...> wrote:
                                  Hi Chasity,

                                  I am a light-skinned "black" girl with a mix of Jamacian, Colombian,
                                  French, Native American & I also have relatives on Grand Turk Island.
                                  I am older than you but I can understand how hard
                                  it is not fitting in in school. I didn't either.
                                  I went to a High School in NYC that was mostly Hispanic.
                                  I look Hispanic but I am not & I don't speak Spanish.
                                  So I looked Hispanic and all of the black kids thought group.
                                  I can tell you one thing that is a fact.
                                  Be who you are. This hard time is temporary.
                                  Once you are out of School it wont matter.
                                  Keep your head up girl & remember to stay true to who you are.
                                  contact me at kier22_2@peoplepc. com if you want to talk some more.

                                  Kier.

                                  Hey I'm Chasity and I'm mainly black and native american.
                                  I have white, italin, mexican, and jamican
                                  in me but I mainly am called emoblackgirl.
                                  I'm emo as you guys hurd from my neck name.
                                  Im brown skinned with diffrent lengths of hair.
                                  I go to Pinkneyville and I have a rough time
                                  there about which race I choose to act like.
                                  In general I have a bad life. I dont think you
                                  guys will understand this, being that I'm only 14.
                                  Well I hope you guys will contact me back.
                                  chasity.
                                  <<<

                                • queen_jas44
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 9, 2007
                                    Hey Chasity,

                                    I know what you feel like. My mom does to.

                                    My mom is a dark skin black woman, but everyone else in
                                    her family is real light and has really straight hair.
                                    Her grand mother even has blond hair and
                                    blue eyes, so she always felt out of place.

                                    Now me i was born with white skin, blue eyes and blond hair.
                                    My dad is Asian.

                                    So you know growing up a felt out of place.
                                    But I was luckily to have my mom there for me and helping me.
                                    My dad helped too, but girls tend to
                                    go more to there mom then to there dad.
                                    I do just say i am black, but I do know i have other things in me.
                                    If you need any help please email me.

[...]

                                  • rolyan7
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 13, 2007
                                      Chasity. Please do some research! You are a "Creole"
                                      Hispanics, well some are also, a Mix of Indian & White, and Mulatto.
                                      The term is usually quite commonly in the CARIBBEAN and Lousianna.
                                      I am a Creole myself and in JAMAICA, i am regarded as a "Browning"
                                      CREOLE IS MORE RECOGNIZED. A Creole can
                                      also be "white" person and also a language.
                                      All you confused Americans (exception Lousianna) should
                                      embrace that term more often and identify yourself that way.
                                      It is so much simplier. Peace and Love to all
                                      Mulattoes, Creoles, Whites, blacks, etc.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                                        Hi all,

                                        I just have to say this & then leave it alone.

                                        I am noticing a few people on this forum
                                        telling others how to "classify" themselves.

                                        Please stop.

                                        What you choose to call yourself is a personal
                                        choice & the reason why a lot of us have chosen
                                        to be a part of 'Generation-Mixed'.
                                        Partly because others have chosen to "classify" us.
                                        We know or are at least researching who we are and
                                        I am sure you have our best interest in heart,
                                        let the people here "classify" hemselves.

                                        Thank you,
                                        Kier

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                                          I know what you mean. In the U.S. people tend to
                                          think of 'race' and 'nationality' as the same thing.
                                          When I tell people that my father is Jamaican
                                          they usually reply; "Oh, so he's Black."
                                          In reality, he's Mixed and when I was a kid would
                                          identify himself as "a good lookin' brown man."

[...]

                                        • Courtney T.
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 14, 2007
                                            I agree, some people really are being too pushy about these things.
                                            While your intentions are to be informative, people
                                            take their identities seriously and personally.
                                            It is really not your place to tell someone
                                            how to personally identify themselves.

                                            Thank you,
                                            CJ

                                            "kier22_2" <kier22_2@> wrote:

[...]

                                          • fayem fayem
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 18, 2007

                                              hello   kk parle francais?
                                            • Trevia Hardiman
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                                                bonjour..... un pue francais :) Toi?

                                                fayem fayem <fayem2006@...> wrote:

                                                hello   kk parle francais?

                                              • fayem fayem
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 19, 2007
                                                  yes...someone told me that there was people from
                                                  the french creole culture around here....and canada....
                                                  me i speak because my mum is french.....there is creole here?