Re: New Mixed Race Book - The Pigment of Your Imagination

  • mulatta_loca
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19 4:42 PM
      Hi, Joy. I went to your website and the section of your
      research that deals with Jamaica really resonated with me.
      My father is Jamaican and light-skinned.
      Because of his color, he occupied a priviledged place
      in Jamaican society and experienced a very rude
      awakening when he arrived in the U.S. in the late 1960s.
      He had no idea what the Civil Rights movement was about
      or why black people were asking him to join in.
      He was also very surprised that white people
      viewed him as just another black person and
      didn't give him any special treatment. Wow.
      I plan to buy your book and strongly relate to what you're doing.
      I'm a writer too, although more in the fiction and essay genres
      than the sociology genre (although my BA is in Sociology),
      and I think it's a shame that we don't see this sort of
      racial discussion in books put out by major presses.
      Based on my experiences, the publishing industry is primarily
      interested in books that will hit #1 on the New York Times
      Bestseller list and certainly not anything that will challenge
      people's ways of thinking (unless it's the tried and true
      money-making sort of challenge a la The Da Vinci Code).
      Nevertheless, I think as a nation we could really
      benefit from a deeper examination of race.

      Kudos to you!

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "mutanu2" <joy@...> wrote:

      Hello multi-culti folks,

      Thank you so much for welcoming me to your listserv.

      My mother is from Kenya and my father is of Caucasian
      persuasion so 1) of course, everyone assumes I'm an
      expert on Barack Obama because I'm half-Kenyan :-)and
      2) I've had an amazing experience growing up biracial.
      I've also had a chance to travel around the world and talk to
      other multi-culti folks and have just released a book entitled,
      "The Pigment of Your Imagination: Mixed Race in a Global Society."

      I'm so excited to see that there is are multiracial book
      clubs out there and would love to get more involved.
      Please check out www.ThePigment.com and
      www.myspace.com/thepigment and let me know what
      you think. You can e-mail me at joy@...
      I am very interested in traveling around to different parts
      of the US to hear about people's experiences and to talk
      about book so please let me know of any events that
      might be taking place in your neck of the woods.

      Thanks again for creating this listserv.
      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Your kindred spirit,
      Joy Zarembka

      Related Links: