Re: The 'Loving Decision' Conference - 2007

  • mulatta_loca
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2007
      Wow. It's almost hard to believe that interracial marriage was
      illegal just 40 years ago. From what I've heard, though, before
      the Loving decision people found ways to get around the law.
      For instance, a few years ago, I met an African-American woman in
      her sixties who'd been married to a White man for over 40 years.
      She said that when they got married they told the judge that the
      prospective groom was 'high yellow', meaning "light-skinned black".
      This wasn't true; he was White. But the judge believed
      them (or pretended to believe them; maybe he was
      sympathetic) and the two got married despite the law.

      "multiracialbookclub" wrote:

      [Loving Decision Conference]

      The Next 40 Years of

      Multiracial Communities

      June 21-24, 2007 in Chicago, Illinois

      The 40th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia
      (1967), the US Supreme Court's decision
      to legalize interracial marriage, will be
      marked with an international conference.

      For the first time in U.S. history,
      this event wishes to bring together
      not only "interracial" couples,
      "multiracial/ethnic" individuals,
      and "transracial" adoptees, it also
      intends to unite policy makers, educators,
      students, and advocacy organizations
      at the Loving Decision Conference 2007:
      The Next 40 Years of Multiracial Communities.

      CONFERENCE COORDINATORS

      coordinators@... <mailto:coordinators@...>
      Coordinator: Jungmiwha "Jummy" Bullock
      Assistant Coordinator: Harold Gates
      Phone: 818.230.2285 / Fax: 818.956.2120

      Click Here to receive the Newsletter
      <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=1101547743268&ea=>
      --- which contains the most up-to-date
      news releases on the Conference activities.

      Source: http://www.lovingconference com