New to the Group

  • Keesha
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30 4:33 PM
      Hi my name is Keesha and I am new to group. I relocated out to
      Sacramento from Houston after loosing my home in Hurricane Rita
      and looking to meet some new friends out here in the Cali or
      surrounding areas like NV and AZ. So if any of you live out in
      any of these areas leave me a message and if you want to know
      more about me check out my Yahoo360. Have a blessed day everyone.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31 9:51 AM
        Hi Keesha,

        Welcome to `Generation-Mixed'.

        We are very happy that you are here
        and to see that you have become a
        part of our 'Gen-Mixed' community.=D>

        The people here are just great and you
        will have an opportunity to both meet
        and speak with a lot of new friends !! ;;)

        Your experiences (such as having relocated
        to CA from TX and surviving Hurricane
        Rita -- so sorry to hear about the loss
        of your home) sound very interesting.

        We would love to hear more from you
        -- about anything that you would like
        to share with us -- such as, for instance,
        your life, your lineage, your thoughts,
        your opinions and your experiences.

        Welcome again Keesha
        -- and have a great day!!:)

        -- M

        Related Links:

        "Keesha" <sunshine_382436@...> wrote:

        Hi my name is Keesha and I am new to group.   I relocated out to
        Sacramento from Houston after loosing my home in Hurricane Rita
        and looking to meet some new friends out here in the Cali or
        surrounding areas like NV and AZ.  So if any of you live out in
        any of these areas leave me a message and if you want to know
        more about me check out my Yahoo360.  Have a blessed day everyone.
      • mulatta_loca

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
            Hi Group!

            My name Kier & I am 29. I am a very "light skinned black"
            woman with a lot of different countries in my background.

            On my Dad's side I have Jamacian, Grand Turk Island-ers,
            Columbian and French. Yes...My family was a Pirates child lol...
            On my Moms side we just thought our Black roots came from Down South.
            Florida to be exact. When I started digging I found out that most
            of my Moms side is Seminole. I have a Grandfather who was Italian
            but 'passed' for "black" as did my Native American Grandparents...
            You learn a lot when you start asking questions.

            With all of this I still 'identify' as a "black" woman.
            That is how I was raised. And that is how I have been
            discriminated aganst too. I live in NYC where we have a huge
            Latino population. My High School was mostly Latino's from the
            Bronx. And I got it left & right. Why don't you speak Spanish?
            You ashamed of your Heritage? I got it from the Adults too.
            When I was in a good mood I tried to explain that I am a
            "light skinned black" person & that doesn't automatically
            make me from your Island. I had one shop owner throw me
            out of his store for saying this! I always heard
            'But your Hair??'. Which is long & light brown.
            It was weird to me. I couldn't understand why they didn't know
            the background of the country they has decided to live in.
            Once I got older & started working in Corporate
            America I got it but it was more subtle.

            It's a struggle everyday to find your 'identity' but I am
            finally comfortable about mine, and I try to learn about others.
            Never know what your past might dig up...
          • mulatta_loca
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
              Hi, Kier. I relate to some of what you're saying. I'm Jamaican,
              Ecuadorian, and Polish. I grew up in a predominantly West Indian
              neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York, and did not experience very
              much discrimiation at that time, but as a young adult I moved to
              the U.S./Mexico border region where I am constantly mistaken for
              Mexican. People don't understand why I'm not fluent in Spanish
              or don't observe various Mexican customs. When I explain to
              them that I'm not Mexican, sometimes people don't believe me
              and think I'm just being stuck up or something. It's weird.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
                  hello as long as u meet open minded people thats ok
                  .... me i am half black (from africa) half french ...
                  i am really a lot less mixed than you all lol
                  but since i am in the us...i am a little
                  dissapointed to discover this wall between people...
                  so when they ask me if i am dominican i say yes ....
                  black and white still have a lot of issues to solve here
                  and salsa is a big mixed music......so i choosed it
                  but still listen mozart or Ali farka toure when i am alone.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 20, 2007
                      Welcome Kier! I can relate. I am also "light skinned"
                      with a Native American mother and African American father.
                      Whenever I was traveling with my Mom, we were often
                      mistaken as Hispanic. I thought that it was just
                      because of the area of Brooklyn (NY) we lived in.

                      When I moved to San Diego (CA) and went across
                      the Mexican border shopping several times.
                      Do you know each and every time I tried to return I was
                      pulled aside by the authorities to prove I was an American?
                      I was also asked by a Filipino if I was his fellow countrymen.

                      Now that I live in Florida I am often mistaken for Seminole.
                      When I look in the mirror I see the face of my mother's nation:
                      The Tsalagi (Cherokee) and my great aunt agrees.
                      I think my grandfather expressed it the best
                      when he said I have the best of both worlds.

                      Traditional Lady